Phil Collins latest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

He joined them in 1970, while auditioning for a bunch of other bands (including Yes apparently). He's been referred to as "the new boy" by Mike and Tony (Rutherford & Banks respectively) in interviews occasionally over the years, principally as they formed the band at the tail end of their Charterhouse days (with Gabriel, Ant Phillips and now well known author Chris Stewart, later replaced by John Silver, then the late John Mayhew and then Phil - simples really!).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:SussussusssusssusssusssusssudioIt's all a bit too fast with you, ain't it Joel? What's wrong with a bit of "Through These Walls"?JoelSim:chickniceJoelSim:OhaaaaaaaaaahoaaaaaaaaahoI'll bet you say that to all the girls.

Yes cubed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:He joined them in 1970, while auditioning for a bunch of other bands (including Yes apparently). He's been referred to as "the new boy" by Mike and Tony (Rutherford & Banks respectively) in interviews occasionally over the years, principally as they formed the band at the tail end of their Charterhouse days (with Gabriel, Ant Phillips and now well known author Chris Stewart, later replaced by John Silver, then the late John Mayhew and then Phil - simples really!).

Was Mike's brother in FGTH?

T

the record spot

Different Rutherford I think mate...Scouse branch as opposed to the Surrey one...!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:SussussusssusssusssusssusssudioIt's all a bit too fast with you, ain't it Joel? What's wrong with a bit of "Through These Walls"?JoelSim:chickniceJoelSim:OhaaaaaaaaaahoaaaaaaaaahoI'll bet you say that to all the girls.

Yes cubed. We are talking about a time incorporating Sergio Taccini tracksuit tops and The Fatback Band, JD.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:JoelSim:

Yes cubed. We are talking about a time incorporating Sergio Taccini tracksuit tops and The Fatback Band, JD.

you got a problem bruv?

3622065.jpg

JohnDuncan:plastic penguin:Yup, and the leader was...Mr. Collins Therefore, David Bowie is rubbish because of Tin Machine?

Totally different, JD. Tin Machine lasted 2 years, and AFIK Bowie put together some session musicians in the late 80s.

I would place Genesis/Collins in the same league as Coldplay, (Thriller album onwards) Michael Jackson... cringeworthy. Fair play to them, they were and are very successful. Not for me partner...

T

the record spot

Same league as Coldplay? I'll come back when you've read the Genesis discography...different strokes I know, but, wow...

the record spot:Same league as Coldplay? I'll come back when you've read the Genesis discography...different strokes I know, but, wow...

Don't take it out of context, RS, Genesis/Collins have had far more hits than Coldplay (given that Genesis have been going forty years, or close on. Coldplay... ten years). In terms of cringeworthyness, I would lump them in the same basket. Clearly, you love'em
emotion-21.gif
. Me? I can't be doing with them.

A true story: Back in the early 90s a school friend of my was moving to Kent with his family, and he was having a real clearout of his old or unwanted records and cds. He passed a whole box of 12" singles, albums etc.

When I got home I pulled an Adam Ant solo single called "Puss in Boots". Placed it on my TT, and about half way through the first verse I noticed the drumming sounded familiar. I whipped it off there and then and saw Phil Collins name as guest drummer. I lobbed in the bin. I felt that was one of the kindest things I could do.

Collins is talented, good voice and very successful. Nevertheless, I just can't stand his music or image.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts