Perhaps this might end the bitrate argument

A

Anonymous

.... sound of can of worms being opened ... again... ooops
emotion-16.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Think you're right, AKL - dredging up that old piece of JA's will probably lead to it all kicking off again.

So that'll be another thread to watch closely, then...

Nadeac

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
If i rip a cd to windows at a lossless format{cant really tell any difference at all from the various formats when its lossless} ,then play those files from my laptop into my amp via my Project usb dac , it sounds good ,but therse no way that its as good as listening to the same cd via my Nad cd player through the same amp

That says to me tha tthe DAC nad use is better than the one that Project use

Who knows with a more expensive Dac it may level things out

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
- dredging up that old piece of JA's will probably lead to it all kicking off again.Ah, mmm yes... perhaps I should have realised this was a well-known article. Apologies.

ÿ

Still, while I am here, let me say that I have just downloaded some 24/96 from HDTracks, played from Mac via Airport Express into my Primare/Kef set up and all I can say is MMMMMMM Niiiiiiice (did I mention it was jazz) Never heard such stringy strings or brassy brass before. Thank goodness there are plenty of 1TB hard drives out there getting cheaper and cheaper.ÿ

idc

I want these sorts of fights to go on and on and never stop.......................................

Lets face it we could be up to much worse; smoking crack cocaine, people trafficking or drinking Dr Peppers which frankly I find particularly disgusting.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Nadeac:If i rip a cd to windows at a lossless format{cant really tell any difference at all from the various formats when its lossless} ,then play those files from my laptop into my amp via my Project usb dac , it sounds good ,but therse no way that its as good as listening to the same cd via my Nad cd player through the same amp

That says to me tha tthe DAC nad use is better than the one that Project use

Yes, that's about all you can infer from that test.

A

Anonymous

A freaky thing has just happened. I am in the middle of re-ripping my cd collection to FLAC, and whilst doing that I load the website referred to in the first post (http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1007awsi/) . As this page loads, I have just inserted Elvis Costello, Best Of, and guess what the first track is - Watching the Detectives!

I'm just off to go and buy a lottery ticket!

PS Whilst I am converting CDs to FLAC, I do find it very difficult to tell difference between that and mp3. Mp3 does a good job, but as I feel like I want the best possible quality, I am now going down the FLAC route, otherwise I feel like I am missing out on the best possible sound my system can produce.

Sonos, Dacmagic, NAD 340, B&W 601

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts