PCM II, 2wks in, final update

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Two weeks into ownership, this will be my final update. From the lack of responses to my other threads about it I can see this is a very minority interest. Which is fair enough, this is not 'What Vintage HiFi?'; other than the argumentative threads, this forum is mostly about newbies asking about new gear, probably as it should be.

Anyhow...for anyone still reading, I've decided the PCM II is a keeper. I love the warm approachable presentation. I did have early reservations that it didn't sound quite as detailed as my HRT II+ DAC and CD63 KI, but having listened to about 40 CDs in two weeks both on speakers and through my RS180's, I now don't think that's the case. What I do feel, as hinted in my first impressions, this is definitely not an exuberent player that would have blown you away in the dealers. Which in terms of sales is a shame because humans being impulsive as they are, I can imagine it got left on the shelf very often in favour of players which sounded more impressive and exciting within the first 10 seconds, But sometimes the forthright exuberant ones are the hardest to live with in the long term, especially when you throw a modern brash or flatlined master at them. With this player, you do need to live with it for a bit to appreciate its qualities. And it even does its best to make modern flatlined masters sound listenable, like Mrs Fubar's Take That, "The Circus" CD.

The sound comes across as very dynamic, very smooth, good strong deep bass, treble is a touch rolled off but the result never sounds muddy. Layering and instrument separation is as good as I've ever heard, and the soundstage (mix permitting) is wide and deep. Nearly everything you play, it begs you to turn up the volume and just wallow in the experience. Which surely is what it's all about.

Thanks for reading.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't be despondent Major.

You have inspired me to retrieve my Philips CD104 from the garage, and hopefully I will discover if it still works at the weekend. It will not surprise me if it is initially dead, but there are plenty of webpages describing the mods to cure the normal dry joint and old capacitors, to bring the machines back to life. It is a pity it was initially a 14 bit CD player.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
Two weeks into ownership, this will be my final update. From the lack of responses to my other threads about it I can see this is a very minority interest. Which is fair enough, this is not 'What Vintage HiFi?'; other than the argumentative threads, this forum is mostly about newbies asking about new gear, probably as it should be.

Anyhow...for anyone still reading, I've decided the PCM II is a keeper. I love the warm approachable presentation. I did have early reservations that it didn't sound quite as detailed as my HRT II+ DAC and CD63 KI, but having listened to about 40 CDs in two weeks both on speakers and through my RS180's, I now don't think that's the case. What I do feel, as hinted in my first impressions, this is definitely not an exuberent player that would have blown you away in the dealers. Which in terms of sales is a shame because humans being impulsive as they are, I can imagine it got left on the shelf very often in favour of players which sounded more impressive and exciting within the first 10 seconds, But sometimes the forthright exhuberant ones are the hardest to live with in the long term, especially when you throw a modern brash or flatlined master at them. With this player, you do need to live with it for a bit to appreciate its qualities. And it even does its best to make modern flatlined masters sound listenable, like Mrs Fubar's Take That, "The Circus"  CD.

The sound comes across as very dynamic, very smooth, good strong deep bass, treble is a touch rolled off but the result never sounds muddy. Layering and instrument separation is as good as I've ever heard, and the soundstage (mix permitting) is wide and deep. Nearly everything you play, it begs you to turn up the volume and just wallow in the experience. Which surely is what it's all about.

Thanks for reading.
if anyone knew how good these machines are? They would be snapped up! These players are top notch! Sod the others who show no interest..for bout 50 quid you can get a mission pcm 700..if the doubting twits were to look inside your machine it's full of electronics..modern machines are empty by comparison...my pcm beats any cd player I have..through my main kit..let them have their esoteric players...your machine is equal..

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol.......Major,

I found the the 'differences' you heard between players strangely amusing.

I don't know why........ ;-)

:-D Ah but I was never the one who said all DACs sound the same. In fact in these old players with three boards of conventional circuitry to peform the D->A which by and large is now all completed on mass-produced silicon chips, I'd say there was more potential for variances between players than there is now. But that's conjecture of course :)

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

I certainly enjoyed your reports, thanks! However, as I don't have anything specific to comment, I didn't. Yet that doesn't mean your efforts weren't appreciated, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. : -)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Recent days have seen quite a few mentions of vintage cyrus kit.

My curiousity was triggered, so I have had a quick look on the bay, and have spotted this CD player.

The price seems too good to be true, but it may be of interest to anyone who wants to experiment with vintage CD players.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cyrus-CD8-se2-Quartz-Silver-/182102626750

Thats not the buy price thats just current bid price, I expect this will go for over £300. CD8 se2 is not that old?

Pity its not black.

K

keeper of the quays

If someone owned a cdp like yours major? Why would they upgrade?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Looking at completed listings, dAD 1.5's seem to go for anything between £60 for a working one with no remote to a couple of hundred for boxed minters with a remote.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
If someone owned a cdp like yours major? Why would they upgrade?

I'm sure it can be bettered...such as your mate's. I find it just sonically partners the rest of my kit very well. Which you'd expect it to I guess. Still not got it wired to the PSX yet. Though I intend to. Just been too bone idle to make up the cable.

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Anyhow...for anyone still reading, I've decided the PCM II is a keeper. I love the warm approachable presentation. I did have early reservations that it didn't sound quite as detailed as my HRT II+ DAC and CD63 KI, but having listened to about 40 CDs in two weeks both on speakers and through my RS180's, I now don't think that's the case. What I do feel, as hinted in my first impressions, this is definitely not an exuberent player that would have blown you away in the dealers. Which in terms of sales is a shame because humans being impulsive as they are, I can imagine it got left on the shelf very often in favour of players which sounded more impressive and exciting within the first 10 seconds, But sometimes the forthright exuberant ones are the hardest to live with in the long term, especially when you throw a modern brash or flatlined master at them. With this player, you do need to live with it for a bit to appreciate its qualities. And it even does its best to make modern flatlined masters sound listenable, like Mrs Fubar's Take That, "The Circus"  CD.

Thanks for reading.
I first heard this player through a Cyrus Two with a pair of large Mission speakers when they were the same company. I was blown away by the reproduction of the piano. It was as if the pianist was in the room

TRENDING THREADS