PC expert home cinema advice please!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Is there anyone out there that can help me here. I have just set my pc up to my LCD in the lounge. I have stereo sound (using analogue cable) from the pc to my stereo amp and speakers - perfect. I also want to connect to my av receiver via optical. Here is the problem. My receiver has two available hdmi inputs (DVD and TV/SAT). I have hdmi from dvd to receiver leaving me with TV/SAT. The LCD is connected to the hdmi out of the receiver. I have two optical inputs. One is TV/SAT which is used and is connected and gives me 5.1 on Sky HD. The other is DVD. I have the DVD player connected via coaxial. Now, I have the pc connected to the receiver via hdmi in the TV/SAT in. If I connect the optical from the pc into the DVD optical in, how do I assign that the TV/SAT hdmi should speak with the DVD optical?? I know that sounds confusing! Is there any other way or am I missing something. I am looking for using the media center to watch films and get sound from my 5.1 via optical and when listening to music though my stereo amp and speakers (which works fine).

A

Anonymous

Could you not use 3.5mm to phono adaptors to connet your soundcard's 3 3.5mm outputs to your receiver's 5.1ch input?What soundcard do you have, and I will try to help.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the Creative Xfi Soundblaster. I am using one of the phono connections (the front left and right one) to my stereo amp (the cable is a 3.5mm jack to phono red and white cable). From what I can gather, until I have a receiver that can link more than 2 hdmi connections with their audio connections, I won't be able to do what I want. I know that a receiver with 3 hdmi in would work fine and also the Onkyo 6405 would be able to do it but not my Sony. I've been happy with the 1200es but it doesn't seem to be able to do what I want to do so I will have to upgrade. It's not the end of the world for me right now - I can wait until the Summer. I'm expecting other companies to come up with Onkyo level equipment and price range as they will have to compete. Sony and Denon don't seem that bothered but I'm sure Pioneer might pull something out of the bag.

TRENDING THREADS