PC based budget Hi-Fi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to setup a Hi-Fi based around my PC since most of my music is present in the form of high bitrate Mp3s on my computer. Based on what i've read on this and other forums, this is the current selection of components that i'm looking at:

Squeezebox duet

Beresford 7510 DAC

Marantz PM6002 Amp

Monitor Audio BR2 speakers

Since this would be my first custom assembled separates system, i'm not very comfortable with the technical jargon used on these forums. I've arrived at this list based on my research online. In addition i'm trying to keep the entire system at around the 750 quid mark.

I'm also still thinking about the Beresford DAC. I've been to several forums where reviews have ranged from extremely good to extremely bad. If someone has used this DAC, esp with a similar setup, please let me know how it fits in.

I'm also looking for comments on how this system would potentially fit in together. Lastly could someone please give me a clue about the kind of cables i need to look in for this system.

Since this is going to be my first system, i have a lot of questions... hope to get some helpful advice...

(i pray that i didn't post this on the wrong part of the forum)

A

Anonymous

sorry but ignore me. i'm just trying to get my name down on every last post. i think i need to sleep.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
el_polo_diablo:
I'm looking to setup a Hi-Fi based around my PC since most of my music is present in the form of high bitrate Mp3s on my computer. Based on what i've read on this and other forums, this is the current selection of components that i'm looking at:

Squeezebox duet

Beresford 7510 DAC

Marantz PM6002 Amp

Monitor Audio BR2 speakers

Since this would be my first custom assembled separates system, i'm not very comfortable with the technical jargon used on these forums. I've arrived at this list based on my research online. In addition i'm trying to keep the entire system at around the 750 quid mark.

I'm also still thinking about the Beresford DAC. I've been to several forums where reviews have ranged from extremely good to extremely bad. If someone has used this DAC, esp with a similar setup, please let me know how it fits in.

I'm also looking for comments on how this system would potentially fit in together. Lastly could someone please give me a clue about the kind of cables i need to look in for this system.

Since this is going to be my first system, i have a lot of questions... hope to get some helpful advice...

(i pray that i didn't post this on the wrong part of the forum)

That's not a bad starting thought.
The Beresford, is undoubtably extremely good for the money. Considering you pay only about £120 with a very good quality cable. If and when you get it, just connect the duet via it's analogue outputs to your amp, and via its digital out via DAC and amp, sit back and switch between the two...
Often differences between components, especially digital sources are not 'night and day' and instantly apparent, but that one is. The instruments suddenly space out, and clarify.
Yes, you can spend more, and gain improvements (which I have recently done), but for the money it is exceptional...

The amp and speakers will be just fine, but you really ought to go somewhere and audition pairings...

As for cables, I would seriously consider looking up Gotham cables on ebay. They are for the most part very well reviewed, and you get quite a bit more for your money than the bigger brands...
The GAC-1 is £10 but dont let the price put you off. Selling through the internet means less markup...I have one of these, and it's at least as good as any of my other cables (up to £60 worth).

The speaker cable is well reviewed too, although I haven't tried it.
The cable that Beresford supplies (as an option) with the DAC, is a no-brainer too.

Also consider Van Damme cables (There is another ebay company selling these too 'soundstable'), I have the 4mm speaker cable at £3/m and I tested it against QED SA XT, Dali Blue and another unbranded cable, and it clearly came out top (or around equal with the Dali blue). (i am about to test it against another pricier cable, but thats another post)

Oh and consider moving to FLAC. The squeezebox natively supports it, and with disk space so cheap, it's a logical move.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts