PC as a high quality digital transport

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh agreed. It's just that you shouldn't baseline everything on the cr*pest denominator. I did finish by saying there must be some good, quiet, well built PCs, just that I haven't owned one. It's not about PC vs Mac, it's about rubbish computers vs a good one, in terms of being suitable as an AV streamer. And a Mac Mini is a good one by default (well it's quiet anyway).

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I'm currently trying to persuade my girlfriend that we need an iMac in the living room, but she's not having it. Looks like we'll be getting a Mac Mini instead. I'm happy with either of those as my main music device, based purely on the UI/experience.

I'm not really a fan of much media player software. A lot of the popular ones aren't very polished. I actually *gasp* prefer iTunes.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Apple are no doubt good but in UK overpriced, about same in £s as USA price in $s but less options. Also extras like RAM are so much more like £160 v £20 for PC. My PC was £900 for a Mac with similar but lower spec would have been over £2,000.

I don't know where you buy your RAM, but it should cost the same for either platform.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
I'm currently trying to persuade my girlfriend that we need an iMac in the living room, but she's not having it. Looks like we'll be getting a Mac Mini instead. I'm happy with either of those as my main music device, based purely on the UI/experience.

I'm not really a fan of much media player software. A lot of the popular ones aren't very polished. I actually *gasp* prefer iTunes.

Before forking out for a Mac mini, what do you want to get out of it? I'm only asking, as to buy a Mac is a bit overkill for music playback only.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
BigH said:
Apple are no doubt good but in UK overpriced, about same in £s as USA price in $s but less options. Also extras like RAM are so much more like £160 v £20 for PC. My PC was £900 for a Mac with similar but lower spec would have been over £2,000.

I don't know where you buy your RAM, but it should cost the same for either platform.

That was on the Mac site and came with the computer v the PC I bought, it is the upgrade RAM price.

Midisurf

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I use a bitfenix prodigy case ITX system build, I love listening to music with my PC as I use foobar2000 and I couldn't live without it. So many ways to listen to my library and it's all there ready at a click. Filters are awesome, filtering by year, genre, play count, rating or combining them for example "%date% GREATER 1989 AND %date% LESS 2000 AND %rating% GREATER 3" get me all my favourite 90s music. It's fully customizable too, here is my layout I've made and currently using.

Also with external DACs you can get that hifi source, although I've done tests and DACs all sound the same unless coloured. My £400 DacMagic Plus soudned the same as my onboard audio, I did an A/B test using foobar to change source and my amp, it was instant a/b and no diffrence at all, that was with Mpnitor Audio RX1 speakers and Sennhieser HD650 headphones.

waveq.jpg

wave2d.jpg

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

This is my first post, so I hope not to offend anyone.

I am in the early stages of trying something similar (but not the same), to enhance my smart TV use. Myself and a few colleagues were frustrated because some of the apps on our smart TVs, are not all that smart. By this I mean that apps for browsers, skype etc etc were cut down versions of the PC based apps, and were slow to use, when you have to type in search words or web addresses, digit by digit using a TV remote.

So we are experimenting with using the following Android based smart PC,

http://www.justop.com/catalog/audio-and-video/media-players-en/justop-k9b-mk809-ii-android-4.1-smart-tv-dongle-mini-pc.html

Once a wired or wireless keyboard is added, the dongle plugs into the TV HDMI port, and you use the TV as the monitor. An external drive can be linked in to the dongle via USB.

The aspect that relates this experiment to this forum post, is that I am beginning to consider whether I can use the dongle as a music streamer, and plug it into a HDMI port of an AV receiver - in order to get good audio quality. The dongle cooling is passive, so no issues re fan noise, and the power use is minimal, plus the dongle does not have a large ugly form factor to worry about.

The biggest unknown for me is the quality of Android streaming apps - are there any with the same functionality and ease of use, as those available for Apple and Pc. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Overdose said:
Before forking out for a Mac mini, what do you want to get out of it? I'm only asking, as to buy a Mac is a bit overkill for music playback only.

Whilst it will be my main music source, music playback won't be its main use. I have ATV at the mo, and would like a bit more functionality.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
Overdose said:

Whilst it will be my main music source, music playback won't be its main use. I have ATV at the mo, and would like a bit more functionality.

Ah ok. In that case look no further. :)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
If you want a silent PC, go fanless with ssd's. There are a number of cases available with integral heat sinks for the cpu - have a look on Kustom PC's website - and a lot of them look like hifi components. Build your own, it's easy enough.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
pauln said:
Build your own, it's easy enough.
To be fair, for a lot of people, it isn't, either because they just cba or they have a lack of confidence in that area, and that's why PC World and pre-made PCs exist.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
pauln said:
Build your own, it's easy enough.
To be fair, for a lot of people, it isn't, either because they just cba or they have a lack of confidence in that area, and that's why PC World and pre-made PCs exist.

It's easier than you'd imagine. I built and overclocked my first PC with no previous knowledge or experience just by following the steps in a computer magazine.

But having said that my current PC was custom built by Scan to my own specification because I couldn't be arsed to do it myself. They did a good job and it didn't cost much extra.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
It's easier than you'd imagine. I built my first PC with no previous knowledge or experience just by following the steps in a computer magazine.

Exactly what I did the first time. I set out to build a near silent PC using recommended components on SPCR website. This was before the current low thermal power cpus that make fanless builds feasible were around

I do fancy building a completely silent, no moving parts, SSD music player. It would of course also do everything else a computer can do except for gaming. Probably cost around £600 with good quality components. Load it up with Exact Audio Copy and Foobar 2000 (both open source and free) and off you go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts