PC anti-virus

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Darren Heal:
Two tips for the price of one: slow boot up fix and disabling unwanted start-up programs (like McAfee or Norton):

If your Windoze PC is a bit, well, dozy, when booting up, try this:

Hit the start button.
Hit run
Type in MSCONFIG
A window will come up
Hit the Boot tab
Hit the Advanced Options tab
There's a tick box for Number of Processors
Make sure this is set to the number of processors in your PC, i.e. 1, 2 (dual core) or 4 (quad core)
Keep hitting the OK button until you're asked to reboot, then do that

By default Windoze only uses one core to boot up. This allows you to force it to use all the processors you have, speeding up the boot time.

You can also disable all the nasty pop-ups like Yahoo messenger, Microsoft NetMeeting, etc. that also slow the boot time using the Startup tab and unchecking all the appropriate boxes. Suggest you do this one at a time if you're unsure about which ones to switch off and not to switch off.

Thanks for the info. Have done that. I noticed that under General tab my start up selection is 'selective start up'. The 'load system services' and 'load start up items' are ticked but not the use 'original boot configuration'. Should change it to 'normal start up'?

TRENDING THREADS