Passive pre-amp

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Looks like no more than a volume pot with inputs and outputs, plus some GCSE woodwork. Of course, it may sound fabulous, but it should be possible to build something similar for rather less, and with minimal electronics knowledge.

See here for some starting points...

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
One of the best system I heard was using Passive preamp. Although I don't know the one on Ebay I can highly recommend "Music First" preamp. or if you can find it, the Django amps are very good too (the earlier design were more or less identicle)

LINK and LINK

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"] Of course, it may sound fabulous, but it should be possible to build something similar for rather less, and with minimal electronics knowledge.[/quote]

Now, I may be barking up the wrong proverbial (or indeed, just barking), but would the ultimate pre-amp (sound-wise) be a selection of gold-plated phono sockets, hard wired to resistors in the correct configuration, to an output (i.e. pair 1 go through resistor values A, pair 2 through value B and so on, so which sockets you put the cables in determines the volume level).

Or am I missing something obvious here - apart from the convenience factor of having everything permanently plugged in and a nice knob to twiddle for volume...?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I supect you are barking, but in this case you're right.
emotion-1.gif

Indeed several very high-quality volume control systems use a 'ladder' of resistors, and switch between them to alter the output level. Saves all that plugging and unplugging, and maintains signal purity while retaining all the pleasures of knob-twiddlage.

emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts