Passed the point of buying new music?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I've discovered more new music than ever, especially over the last 2-3 years with the event of Spotify and a subscription to http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/

There are some wonderful British singer/songwriters out there... Kate Walsh, Lucy Rose, Ben Howard, Rachel Sermanni, The Staves, Benjamin Francis Leftwich, James Vincent McMorrow, Karine Polwart, Paper Aeroplanes and Gabriella Aplin to name but a few.

Not to mention some from across the pond like Bon Iver, Barnaby Bright, Joshua Radin, Joshua Hyslop, The Civil Wars and Ingrid Michaelson.

I love music!

Mac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
peterpan said:
Modern recordings sounded bad on cd. Look here:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

It is not just cds though, most modern recording do not sound good, even vinyl. Hopefully the tide will turn soon away from loudness.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
The_Lhc said:
peterpan said:
Modern recordings sounded bad on cd. Look here: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Firstly, we know, it's old news, secondly, suggesting that ALL modern recordings sound bad on cd is nonsense, there are plenty that sound very good and lastly, so what? We were talking about music, not formats.

Almost all modern pop and rock music suffers from reduced dynamic range as a result of the loudness war. There are however plenty of exceptions to this.

Take for example Eric Bibb's music which has some of the best quality recording and mastering that I've ever heard. His albums are modern (1999-2011) and there is absolutly no compression of the dynamic range whatsoever. Even if you don't like his style of music it's worth having a quick listen to a few of his songs just to hear the sound quality. Clicky

Yes there are exceptions like Eric Bibb but most have suffered even genres like folk and vocals have gone loud. I did find a small record compamy called Lost Highway Records that seems to have some high quality recordings, not much choice but you may find a few you like. Telarc is another good record company to check out. DR is not everything I have some large DR cds but they sound awful, all boom and tizz.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
My problem is once I start exploring the long tale, there's too much choice. I like a good chiptune, but good stuff is hidden by a lot of dross (in almost all genres, not just chiptunes).

I agree. The difficult part is finding good stuff. I always check out any music that people recommend to me. I've also found some good new music by clicking on the links that you get in Spotify and YouTube.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I estimate that around 95% of the music in my collection dates from before the year 2000.

There is still some good new music around though but you won't find it in the charts IMO.

Jackis18

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like me. My children were born in 2001 and 2003 and for a few years I had neither the inclination nor the opportunity to listen to anything new. Radio 2 drive time was about it. But a few years ago, I wanted to listen again and so made the effort. A pair of headphones plugged into my laptop when working and I would listen to Radio 3 first thing, then switch at 10:00 to listen to Fearne Cotton on Radio 1, or trawl through MySpace. I found lots of new artists I liked, as well as catching up with old favourites. I also stumbled across an article in The Times about George Pringle which led me to a number of female acts. And now my children are taking an interest in music, I get to listen to new chart stuff via Chart Show TV or Capital. Most doesn't bother me, but there will always be a gem hidden away somewhere. And I watch Later with Jools Holland. There's often someone good on there. I first saw Adele on there.

So new acts I've discovered via these sources and bought CDs from are the likes of Michael Buble, Paloma Faith, Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling, Florence + the Machine, Doll and the Kicks, George Pringle, Olivia Broadfiled and, my favourite, Marina and the Diamonds. Apart from my wife liking Michael Buble and Paolma Faith no one liked the new stuff, until the children took to the Elecra Heart album by Marina and the Diamonds. In fact my daughter often asks me to play it in the car when I'm taking her and her firends somewhere!

And there is always the BBC Sound Of... list every year. From this year's list I like Haim, Laura Mvula, Tom O'Dowd, Little Green Cars (I think that's their name). Or the Mercury Music Prize list.

The music is there, you just have to find it. :)

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't discovered any band of 'recent times' that I have liked, however most of my favourite bands do still release an album every 3-4 years so there is always something to look forward to!

It's great to stumble across a band from yesteryear that you somehow missed previously as you have a whole back catalogue to collect and enjoy - the Smashing Pumpkins being my latest 'find' (not that old but I was a teenager in the 90's!) :)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Jackis18 said:
Sounds like me. My children were born in 2001 and 2003 and for a few years I had neither the inclination nor the opportunity to listen to anything new. Radio 2 drive time was about it. But a few years ago, I wanted to listen again and so made the effort. A pair of headphones plugged into my laptop when working and I would listen to Radio 3 first thing, then switch at 10:00 to listen to Fearne Cotton on Radio 1, or trawl through MySpace. I found lots of new artists I liked, as well as catching up with old favourites. I also stumbled across an article in The Times about George Pringle which led me to a number of female acts. And now my children are taking an interest in music, I get to listen to new chart stuff via Chart Show TV or Capital. Most doesn't bother me, but there will always be a gem hidden away somewhere. And I watch Later with Jools Holland. There's often someone good on there. I first saw Adele on there.

So new acts I've discovered via these sources and bought CDs from are the likes of Michael Buble, Paloma Faith, Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling, Florence + the Machine, Doll and the Kicks, George Pringle, Olivia Broadfiled and, my favourite, Marina and the Diamonds. Apart from my wife liking Michael Buble and Paolma Faith no one liked the new stuff, until the children took to the Elecra Heart album by Marina and the Diamonds. In fact my daughter often asks me to play it in the car when I'm taking her and her firends somewhere!

And there is always the BBC Sound Of... list every year. From this year's list I like Haim, Laura Mvula, Tom O'Dowd, Little Green Cars (I think that's their name). Or the Mercury Music Prize list.

The music is there, you just have to find it. :)

Thanks for sharing your discoveries... not all to my taste, but particularly like the sound of Olivia Broadfield and Laura Mvula... you may like some of my earlier recommendations too.

Mac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
No most not to my taste either, giving Olivia Broadfield a go now.

For something different you may want to try Yucca Flats.

Been getting into Ben Harper his Fight for your mind album is pretty good.

A few females I quite like are: Melody Gardot, Susan McKeown, Patty Griffin, Catie Curtis, Mary Gauthier, Susan Jarosz and Fatao Diawara.

sebrouen

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
Perhaps it's not a question of constantly seeking new aural thrills but going back to the music you already have and remembering the reason why you bought it in the first place! I think the last music i bought was goldfrapp 'head first' several years ago now. Personally I don't think music is as good as before but that's a whole other issue.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:

A few females I quite like are: Melody Gardot, Susan McKeown, Patty Griffin, Catie Curtis, Mary Gauthier, Susan Jarosz and Fatao Diawara.

Love Melody Gardot... just checked out Susan McKeown... lovely- any albums in particular to recommend by her? You might like the likes of Cara Dillon, Heidi Talbot and Karan Casey.

Mac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
BigH said:

Love Melody Gardot... just checked out Susan McKeown... lovely- any albums in particular to recommend by her? You might like the likes of Cara Dillon, Heidi Talbot and Karan Casey.

Mac

Susan McKeown best album I think is Lowlands, Dark Horse of the wind is esp. powerful. I know Cara Dillon and Karan Casey, will check out Heidi Talbot, thanks.

sebrouen

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
sebrouen said:
Perhaps it's not a question of constantly seeking new aural thrills but going back to the music you already have and remembering the reason why you bought it in the first place! I think the last music i bought was goldfrapp 'head first' several years ago now. Personally I don't think music is as good as before but that's a whole other issue. I particularly like female singers from bessie smith to mary margaret o'hara to kate bush to jill scott to laura marling. The point I don't feel the urge to want to familiarise myself with new music but then i'm a fall fan....always different always the same!

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Phileas said:
I've bought/discovered almost no 'new' music since my late teens (now in my 40s). My tastes veered into jazz and then to classical and I haven't looked back.

So you think there's no such thing as "new" jazz then?

That's not really what I meant, which is why I said 'almost' no new music.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey MajorFubarSadly I'm beginning to think I've reached that age (or maybe age is completely irrelevant).Don't give up!I'm an OAP too and I began to find CD's were a bit of a pain to keep loading into the player, so streaming has been a great experience for me, as I'm sometimes listening to music for 8 hours a day. Quite an eclectic mix of genres from Classical to Dubstep. The only Adele song I can tolerate is "Rolling In the Deep".I have a meagre collection of 7k tracks which I play on "Shuffle" from an iTunes Smart Playlist where Playcount is < 3 etc.I'm just playing "Persephone" by Wishbone Ash, from 1976 ripped from a CD I purchased on Amazon for 1p (yes 1p). Only recently discovered that one!For the some of the "Best songs you (may not have) ever heard" - try Dizzy Mizz Lizzy for neat guitar work, musicality and harmonies..The Scorpions are still making great music too!More recently I have purchased CD's from: "Blackfield", "Porcupine Tree", "Pendulum" and "Thirteen Senses" - try checking those out on https://play.spotify.com/ - that should keep you busy for a while! - Good luck!

"Perfection is a journey, not a destination..."

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Fred_Barker said:
Hey MajorFubarSadly I'm beginning to think I've reached that age (or maybe age is completely irrelevant).Don't give up!I'm an OAP too and I began to find CD's were a bit of a pain to keep loading into the player, so streaming has been a great experience for me, as I'm sometimes listening to music for 8 hours a day. Quite an eclectic mix of genres from Classical to Dubstep. The only Adele song I can tolerate is "Rolling In the Deep".I have a meagre collection of 7k tracks which I play on "Shuffle" from an iTunes Smart Playlist where Playcount is < 3 etc.I'm just playing "Persephone" by Wishbone Ash, from 1976 ripped from a CD I purchased on Amazon for 1p (yes 1p). Only recently discovered that one!For the some of the "Best songs you (may not have) ever heard" - try Dizzy Mizz Lizzy for neat guitar work, musicality and harmonies..The Scorpions are still making great music too!More recently I have purchased CD's from: "Blackfield", "Porcupine Tree", "Pendulum" and "Thirteen Senses" - try checking those out on https://play.spotify.com/ - that should keep you busy for a while! - Good luck!

"Perfection is a journey, not a destination..."

Great post. 8)

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought I'd reached that stage too, but recently discovered by accident Justin Nozuka. He's only released a couple of albums, but well worth giving a try.

My listening is made up mainly of classical these days, which I discovered in my 20's and has always had a large part of my listening time devoted to it. It's just getting a higher percentage of my listening time now. Though I still have time for some classic rock albums such as Pink Floyd's DSOTM WYWH Animals, Peter Gabriel's 1st 4 albums before he started giving his albums titles!

Looking forward to seeing City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in a couple of weeks time to get my fix of live classical music.

The only downside to that is knowing I'll be dissatisfied with my HiFi setup after hearing a live orchestra, wonder how much it would cost to buy an orchestra and their repertoire?? :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :rofl:

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
The drum and bass outfit?

Yes! the very same outfit - checkout the track "The Other Side" from the album "In Silico" - a good old fashioned foot tapper!!

RECENT-ISH STUFF YOU MAY LIKE:

2012 - Dark Star by POLICA on the CD "Give You The Ghost" - Rock.

2011 - Heart Skips A Beat by Olly Murs on the CD "In Case You Didn't Know" - Pop.

2010 - Slow by Rumer on the CD "Seasons of My soul" - Vocal.

2009 - Uprising by Muse on the CD "The Resistance" - Rock.

2008 - Pie Jesu by Katherine Jenkins on the CD "Sacred Areas" - Clasical.

2007 - O Fortuna by Therion on the CD "Deggial" - Symphonic Metal.

2006 - God Eat God by Tinyfish on the CD "Tinyfish" - Progressive.

Just for good measure -

Ghost by Buckethead on the CD "Colma" - Experimental Rock.

i've had similar feelings to the OP as a young dad, 18 years or more ago, i pretty much stopped listening to, and buying music, and probably went a good few years without having a hifi in the house... but, kids grow fast, and before you know it, you get some free time again, and the spark does come back.

i'd had a full sony separates system, bought in the late 80's, that my first daughter took great pleasure in wrecking while i was out working.

i finally replaced that with a full technics system in the late mid to late 90's.

i could barely afford cd's, but had a massive back catalogue of cassettes that had held up pretty well. and every chance i got to enjoy them i did.

move along a few years, and life is completely different, the advent of ebay brought along a wave of cheap cd's, and my collection grew rapidly, then so did the desire to upgrade my system.

now, i find myself with a full Arcam system, mission speakers, and a mass of cd's, a laptop full of downloads, and a new (younger) woman in my life who has reinvigerated my interest in more modern music.

although most of my music is still in the metal genre, i have embraced a lot of new sounds, and found a way to progress beyond the old fogie feeling..

infact, i have probably never enjoyed music as much as i do now.

so, simply, my advice is to keep your mind and ears open to new music, remember what got you into it in the first place, and the music will come back to you.

don't lose faith, there are plenty of new and exciting artists out there for you to discover, and probably a mountain of things you have never listened to.

Reactions: Fred_Barker

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts