Passed the point of buying new music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Sospri said:
Sounds like ome of you boys are finally growing up,

so stop combing your pony tails and get into classical music, a whole new world awaits you :grin:

I was brought up on classical music. I "discovered" decent rock music from my music teacher at secondary school! However, I must be getting past it 'cos I even listen to a little jazz - (a little being the operative phrase).

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I know far too many people whose musical tastes seemed to solidify when they got married - to me, it's one hell of an endictment of such formal coupling! Quite why some lose interest due to parenting, I've never got to the bottom of. If you need to pack away your system for a year - use an iPod rather than giving up on music. As for WAGs not wanting thumping great sqeakers dominating their living space - I'm far fussier without any help from a partner, thank you very much. I'm remain unconvinced that some people don't find the equipment ownership more important than what gets played on it - despite their protestations to the contrary.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Far from it. Music is a fantastic drug and there are thousands of avenues to get your fix from.

Sticking with one genre can be limiting but to me there is loads of new music being released that is great. I still have time for your commercial pop or standard radio playlist music - Laura Mvula beng a recent addition to my collection. I was talking to my mum about the album and she mentioned a similarity with Bobbie Gentry - someone I had never heard of. A quick download and there is another new artist to explore - although hardy current.

With Dubstep influences finding their way into all manner of music now there is a slight refresh of some of the tired pop/rock music which means I dont always look to change the radio station. Guys have been strumming a guitar and singing about heartache for years but I still want to listen to what Ben Howard does next.

Maybe you are just having a lull - a new hi-fi will sort that ( said the salesman!)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
Far from it. Music is a fantastic drug and there are thousands of avenues to get your fix from.

Sticking with one genre can be limiting but to me there is loads of new music being released that is great. I still have time for your commercial pop or standard radio playlist music - Laura Mvula beng a recent addition to my collection. I was talking to my mum about the album and she mentioned a similarity with Bobbie Gentry - someone I had never heard of. A quick download and there is another new artist to explore - although hardy current.

With Dubstep influences finding their way into all manner of music now there is a slight refresh of some of the tired pop/rock music which means I dont always look to change the radio station. Guys have been strumming a guitar and singing about heartache for years but I still want to listen to what Ben Howard does next.

Maybe you are just having a lull - a new hi-fi will sort that ( said the salesman!)

I have heard Laura Mvula, she is OK but like many modern albums there are only a few good tracks, so one for spotify.

Ben Howard is alright but his guitar playing really gets on my nerves. squeak... squeak.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've bought/discovered almost no 'new' music since my late teens (now in my 40s). My tastes veered into jazz and then to classical and I haven't looked back.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I went down the jazz route, mainly late 50s, probably have as many jazz cds as anything else, most sound better than modern releases to. Been looking into classical but not really into yet.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The_Lhc said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Music for kids nowadays is nothing more than a gravy train, designed and marketed by fat executives who make piles of cash out of young 'uns who just want to get famous.

You say that like it's something new though?

Yes, we've had a lot of "manufacturers" over the years, including Stock, Aitken and Waterman, and many would also class the likes of The Beatles as manufactured. But at the time, there were a lot of rock/indie artists that were still doing well as far as the charts were concerned. That's changed now, but these artists are still around, its just that they don't feature in chart listings.

Now I'm not a 'fan' of the Beatles, but I don't dislike them, however I would never describe them as manufactured. They certainly had a very important guiding hand but at least they were friends who could play their instruments [Ringo??????????] and wrote some stunning songs. The Monkeys were the first band that I was 100% sure were manufactured and I don;t think they contested that. I'm no pop historian though.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I think you tend to like the music of your youth. When I listen to "pop" it tends to be music of the 1960s because that's when I was a teenager and I tend to think it all went downhill after about 1975. However I try not to decry modern music, putting my dislike down to a lack of understanding rather than anything else.

Every now and then I hear something modern I like and believe it or not I often Google names people post on this forum and elsewhere to see if there is something I might like. However I do find myself dragged inexorably back into classical music as the thing I want to listen to.

Chris

I too was a teenager in the 1960s but with the 100% exception of Jimi Hendrix and a bit of Who, I listen to almost no teenager music. I have been lucky in that I have found so much completely brilliant contemporary music up to the last few years.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
malg said:
There's still plenty of good new music out there, you just have to access it.

Depends on your taste and your demands, there is some good stuff but takes some seeking out, albums to me are not what they were 40 years ago.

T

the record spot

Spotify Premium for me and some internet radio stations would be a good option. Check out Spotify playlists too.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
busb said:
Quite why some lose interest due to parenting, I've never got to the bottom of. If you need to pack away your system for a year - use an iPod rather than giving up on music. As for WAGs not wanting thumping great sqeakers dominating their living space - I'm far fussier without any help from a partner, thank you very much.

I'm making an incredibly broad-brush assumption that currently you don't have babies or young kids. If that's wrong then fair enough, but in my case it wasn't about finding the space, the HiFi was always there, it was about finding the time and energy. We had twins and for the first couple of years it was just a mad cycle of feed/poop/puke/change nappies/washing and drying baby-grows/fitting in a full-time job/trying to catch some sleep. You could have bought me an MP3 player and it would just have sat there and gathered dust.

If you've never been there it's difficult to explain what a massive impact having kids (epecially multiple births) has on your life. I couldn't have been less interested in music and HiFi.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'm making an incredibly broad-brush assumption that currently you don't have babies or young kids. If that's wrong then fair enough, but in my case it wasn't about finding the space, the HiFi was always there, it was about finding the time and energy. We had twins and for the first couple of years it was just a mad cycle of feed/poop/puke/change nappies/washing and drying baby-grows/fitting in a full-time job/trying to catch some sleep. You could have bought me an MP3 player and it would just have sat there and gathered dust.

If you've never been there it's difficult to explain what a massive impact having kids (epecially multiple births) has on your life. I couldn't have been less interested in music and HiFi.

I know what you mean, ours is 2 and a half now and very low maintenance as 2 year olds go, but still... :O

However, when she's asleep and I can listen to music, I have pretty much left a lot of the music of my youth behind. A few years ago I was stuck in a loop of listening to the same sort of stuff all the time, nowadays I prefer to seek (and I do have to seek) out new music. My tastes are probably broader now, still can't get into classical though. My latest discovery is Ruben Gonzalez, ok it's not new, but it is new to me. :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
peterpan said:
Modern recordings sounded bad on cd. Look here: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Firstly, we know, it's old news, secondly, suggesting that ALL modern recordings sound bad on cd is nonsense, there are plenty that sound very good and lastly, so what? We were talking about music, not formats.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I will admit to hardly buying any music from more recenty artists, and this is for one main reason; I already own 100s of CDs and LPs that I've never played.

I think we convince ourselves that there is nothing good in modern music, because we have heard so much music in the past. I was convinced a few years ago that all modern music was awful, but I started to listen to 6 music, and I realised how much good new music there was out there.

Modern chart music is pretty awful, but 80s chart music was pretty awful too. A big percentage of chart music over the years has been cak, so my advice would be to go to something like Spotify, look up someone you know and like from the past, and check out the links from there to see if it will lead you to some new bands.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
peterpan said:
Modern recordings sounded bad on cd. Look here: http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

Firstly, we know, it's old news, secondly, suggesting that ALL modern recordings sound bad on cd is nonsense, there are plenty that sound very good and lastly, so what? We were talking about music, not formats.

Almost all modern pop and rock music suffers from reduced dynamic range as a result of the loudness war. There are however plenty of exceptions to this.

Take for example Eric Bibb's music which has some of the best quality recording and mastering that I've ever heard. His albums are modern (1999-2011) and there is absolutly no compression of the dynamic range whatsoever. Even if you don't like his style of music it's worth having a quick listen to a few of his songs just to hear the sound quality. Clicky

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
+1 for Radio Paradise

+1 for 6music

Also worth investigating the very canny and heart-warming Bandcamp.com: 1000s of new artists from 100s of genres - 'doom', 'chiptune' and 'witch house', anyone? - available for hassle-free streaming or download (AAC, Ogg, FLAC, ALAC 16/44), many of which are free or name-your-price.

See: What is Bandcamp?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
My problem is once I start exploring the long tale, there's too much choice. I like a good chiptune, but good stuff is hidden by a lot of dross (in almost all genres, not just chiptunes).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts