Passed the point of buying new music?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Sadly I'm beginning to think I've reached that age (or maybe age is completely irrelevant).

By 'new music' I mean truly new music, written and recorded now by current artists, as opposed to 'new-to-me' music, like the Roxy Music CD I've just picked-up off eBay for two quid.

Ripping my CD collection made me realise that I possess very few albums that were written and recorded this century. Partly this is because with the new millennium came the new commitment of raising a family, a commitment that I didn't have in my youth in the 80s and 90s. All music (old and new) plus my HiFi took a back-seat for a while. But I can't blame the kids completely: there's just been very little new music I want to buy.

Maybe my tastes have changed, or perhaps more accurately, they haven't changed because I haven't moved with the times. As the year clicked from 1999 to 2000, most weeks I was still watching TotP and my daily diet of radio consisted of Radio 1 or my local FM ILR. The thought of doing that now would fill me with horror. In fact TotP had probably been gone for a year before I even noticed. These days I can be found listening to what my kids call 'old fogey radio' like Smooth and Radio 2, and if you told me I had to choose between watching three hours of modern pop music videos on some banal music-channel or having all my toenails levered off with a rusty old nail, I'd have to toss a coin for it.

Maybe after 11 years of trying I've finally turned into a parent, because my parents were as dispassionate about my generation's music as I am about current stuff.

Reactions: Fred_Barker

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I think the only mistake you're making is confusing "new" music with "chart" music. I'm still buying new music but none of it would be seen anywhere near the UK singles charts but then nothing that I buy these days would be considered pop in anyway or even rock. Depends what you like really.

There's also quite a difference between the singles charts and the albums charts though.

Reactions: Fred_Barker

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You want to get onto Internet Radio, I found Radio PAradise is quite good mix of old and newer lesser known groups. Yes I had the same problem, the best rock was released between late 60s to to mid 70s. But there are a few new albums I have found lately that I like, artists such as Ray LaMontage.

Never have listened to single charts thats for teenagers isn't it?

Also Spotify is great for seeking out new stuff.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
99% of the time I feel the same, but there are always exceptions.

What about Adele? Huge talent IMHO. I could listen to her two albums for hours, although really, it's new "old" music. Similarly, Donald Fagins recently released album, Sunken Condos, is not a million miles away from what he was doing with Steely Dan in the 70's.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
pauln said:
99% of the time I feel the same, but there are always exceptions.

What about Adele? Huge talent IMHO. I could listen to her two albums for hours, although really, it's new "old" music. Similarly, Donald Fagins recently released album, Sunken Condos, is not a million miles away from what he was doing with Steely Dan in the 70's.

Could you, I think ive heard enough Adele for a long time. I find Donald Fagen boring, even Steely Dan does not do much for me now. Another new person I discovered lately was Eric Bibb, like his last album Deeper in the Well, also Heritage Blues Orchestra are pretty good.

boneidol

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
no your not old, i agree totaly. i love music & my tastes are from rock/metal to rave & dance, i enjoy classical and pretty much everything except jazz. (my music collection is abba to zz top, not that i play much abba lol) but different moods, different music. I do still buy a lot of music, again same cheap on amazon lol but very rare i buy anything modern, mosy of it is garbage. total rubbish, pop is terrible at the mo, manafactured boy bands, that have not even been manufactured anymore. just thrown together to look good & sell too teenage girls lol watched the brits this year & it was painful. one direction??? oh my god, they cant dance, cant perform or seem to know what to do with them selves on stage lol i was trying to understand what they actualy did to be honest, other than prance around looking uncomfortble. how many rubbish cover versions can we listen to. pop is pop so to speak, but at least in the past rubbish boy bands did produce a few songs that were at least, catchy or easy listening, even if we didnt admit to liking the odd song by them.

there is still some good music being made, but you after look hard to find it,

ps we listen to absolute radio, they play good old stuff & the 'musical' good stuff thats new, so at least artists that play an instrument & have some talent.

or maybe i am just old now pmsl

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BigH said:
But there are a few new albums I have found lately that I like, artists such as Ray LaMontage.

But of course, you've got to have a montage...

Sorry should be LaMontagne.

Anyway I felt like this in the late 70s, hardly any new decent bands around and the great groups had either split up or were past their best.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It sounds to me like you're just waiting to discover something new, and that you haven't heard anything this century that has wowed you. I've probably added more new music to my collection in the last two years than ever before - some of it pre 2000, some within the last 10 years. As already mentioned, set up a Last.FM or Spotify account and set up some artist channels where they play similar artists. I've found most of mine from Last.FM, then I listen to the whole album on Napster if it is available, then if I like it ill buy it.

Music for kids nowadays is nothing more than a gravy train, designed and marketed by fat executives who make piles of cash out of young 'uns who just want to get famous. Shift all that aside though, and there's some great music out there - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Rival Sons, Angus & Julia Stone, Them Crooked Vultures, FNDMNTL, How To Destroy Angels (Trent Reznor), The Black Keys, Black Light Burns, Chevelle, Aes Dana etc etc. Most of those are real music written by the artists, not cover versions performed by session musicians. Sometimes hearing a new artist you like the sound of can get you into a new genre of music, and I find myself dabbling with Dubstep due to the likes of Two Fingers and Modeselektor.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Try internet radio.

Everything is there from 1920s jazz to Swedish Folk Metal (ok I made that one up I think). Thousands of stations. Many with excellent sound quality and many with no/minimal advertising and no anodyne, nasal sounding, up their own ##### DJs telling you about themselves instead of playing music!

So many specialities it makes your head spin.

Start off with something like Radio Paradise (lots of quality options) and note down the stuff you like. It plays a very eclectic mixture of music so you won't get all the commercial ridden, safe, 'Radio Gold', dross or teen oriented material either.

You'll never get bored anyway.

Maybe Spotify could help you?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I just could not make myself listen to Radio 2 or the like, that would be to admit that I was as old as my years.

There is acceptable music out there from new artists but I am rarely moved to actually want to own it. I still want to own my music, not have a single up-front rental agreement on it, but seriously few artists prise my money from me.

Who knows, perhaps a new Adele [in terms of selling success/talent] is just waiting to burst forth and entertain us. :O

Paul.

I too have been finding new music a hard slog at the moment. Part of the problem I find is that its rare to hear new music that hasn't already been done by a band that I already have attachment too, so why not just go back and listen to the first one? There are exceptions to this, The Jezebels being a great example. On paper it really shouldn't be my cup o tea, but I love them. Their Live at the Hordern Pavilion album is great. I find it hard not to go back to the old favourites though, they are like well worn jeans.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Music for kids nowadays is nothing more than a gravy train, designed and marketed by fat executives who make piles of cash out of young 'uns who just want to get famous.

You say that like it's something new though?

Yes, we've had a lot of "manufacturers" over the years, including Stock, Aitken and Waterman, and many would also class the likes of The Beatles as manufactured. But at the time, there were a lot of rock/indie artists that were still doing well as far as the charts were concerned. That's changed now, but these artists are still around, its just that they don't feature in chart listings.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think you tend to like the music of your youth. When I listen to "pop" it tends to be music of the 1960s because that's when I was a teenager and I tend to think it all went downhill after about 1975. However I try not to decry modern music, putting my dislike down to a lack of understanding rather than anything else.

Every now and then I hear something modern I like and believe it or not I often Google names people post on this forum and elsewhere to see if there is something I might like. However I do find myself dragged inexorably back into classical music as the thing I want to listen to.

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I think you tend to like the music of your youth. When I listen to "pop" it tends to be music of the 1960s because that's when I was a teenager and I tend to think it all went downhill after about 1975. However I try not to decry modern music, putting my dislike down to a lack of understanding rather than anything else.

Every now and then I hear something modern I like and believe it or not I often Google names people post on this forum and elsewhere to see if there is something I might like. However I do find myself dragged inexorably back into classical music as the thing I want to listen to.

Chris

I think you are partly right but rock music did go down after about 1976. Just look at the big names and see their best albums, then the big groups that came after were not not so good as before 76, IMHO.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Actually i totally agree with you. Age comes into it in that we have accumulated a diverse range of music over time and hence probably take some convincing as to whther an artists is indeed original or a mere copy. When i look at where are the exciting artists that are producing original music - there just aren't many. The "Brit awards " was a good example of how mind numbingly dull the current music scene is.

Its also much harder to find the decent gem, even in these days of the internet.

I have bought new albums by Nick Cave and primal scream have one due, but again these artists have been going on for 20 years.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like ome of you boys are finally growing up,

so stop combing your pony tails and get into classical music, a whole new world awaits you :grin:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Try internet radio.

Everything is there from 1920s jazz to Swedish Folk Metal (ok I made that one up I think).

You think wrong!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_metal#section_1

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_folk_metal_bands#section_1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts