Partington Broadside stands design

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have bought a pair of ex demo Partington Broadside stands off ebay that arrived today but the ones that arrived are different to the ones pictured in the auction. The bit that looks different is the base plate shape (one has round edges where the spikes are and the other is just a square base) and after looking on google images there seems to be both shapes claiming to be broadsides.

My question is was there a design change at some point or have I been sold dodgy stock? If so which one is the most recent design and are there any difference in performance?

Also after a quick inspection of the stands when they arrived I gotta say I'm not 100% I'mpressed with the build quality. The welds don't continue along the whole piece its meant to be welding and are not ground down to look neat and the paint has an orange peel effect that's seen on poorly painted cars. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh as they seem stand straight and they may sound good although I haven't been able test them yet, but there not exactly cheep at £300 and being hand made I would of expected a bit more care in the build.

p.s. new to the forums but has already been alot of help so thanks everyone:)

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi and welcome to forum
emotion-2.gif

If I`m correct square base is new version but not 100% on this one.

Agree on build quality, quite a few imperfections and I bought new ones...

Regards

Lazar

A

Anonymous

lazar1980:

Hi and welcome to forum
emotion-2.gif

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

The square based ones were the ones I was sent even though the rounded ones were pictured. I may not take more action it if it happens that the square based ones are the new version.

Lets just hope they can wow me in the performance and take my mind off the build quality and lighter wallet.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i bet the seller used stock pictures and probably didnt notice

the good news is if you wanted to sell these on thay really hold a good 2nd hand value.ive been trying to get some cheep on e bay for 2yrs but thay always make good money

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm not aware of a new design Broadside. The Trophy stands have a square base, but our demo Broadsides and have the round bits on the corners for the spikes. If there had've been a new design, we'd have been told about it, and we'd have sold off the demo ones ready for the new ones. We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason.

I had noticed and thought it may have been a misprint! Care to share the reason why?

A

Anonymous

hmm strange, is it possible that someones knocking up fakes and selling them as partingons? or do you think I'm jumping the gun a bit.

Has anyone else got square base broadsides from a well trusted dealer?

FrankHarveyHiFi: We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason.

care to share? good or bad reason
emotion-42.gif

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:I'm not aware of a new design Broadside. The Trophy stands have a square base, but our demo Broadsides and have the round bits on the corners for the spikes.

Hi,

I did buy broadsides from you and got square base. How is that possible?

Regards

Lazar

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:FrankHarveyHiFi:We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason.

I had noticed and thought it may have been a misprint! Care to share the reason why?
Not sure I can just yet.....
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lazar1980:
FrankHarveyHiFi:I'm not aware of a new design Broadside. The Trophy stands have a square base, but our demo Broadsides and have the round bits on the corners for the spikes.

Hi,

I did buy broadsides from you and got square base. How is that possible?

Regards

Lazar

How long ago was that? I've only ever seen the base with the rounded corners (which I've never really liked anyway). Mind you, it's not the first time that there's been communication breakdowns between manufacturers and dealers
emotion-2.gif

I have a theory as to why, but can't say at the moment - nothing to worry about :)]

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Sizzers:FrankHarveyHiFi:We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason.

Not sure I can just yet.....
emotion-1.gif

Hmmm.....Sounds suspiciously like an about to be a discontinued model to me ( I know, you..."can't possibly comment"!) Have you got a black pair lying around in the stock room by any chance? lol

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi: I have a theory as to why, but can't say at the moment - nothing to worry about :)]

oooo I love secrets
emotion-3.gif
and with nothing to worry about it must all be good
emotion-21.gif

The pics nodnarb4444 put up are the exact two im on about. I got the ones on the left although the paint looks alot better in the pic than in real life
emotion-9.gif

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Stav06:

FrankHarveyHiFi: I have a theory as to why, but can't say at the moment - nothing to worry about :)]

oooo I love secrets
emotion-3.gif
and with nothing to worry about it must all be good
emotion-21.gif

The pics nodnarb4444 put up are the exact two im on about. I got the ones on the left although the paint looks alot better in the pic than in real life
emotion-9.gif

i no what your saying ive got the partington trophys and there finish is not shiney like the pics.i still really like them and would like to upgrade to the broadside at some point
emotion-21.gif
and a nice partington tvand hifi rack would be nice to

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers:Hmmm.....Sounds suspiciously like an about to be a discontinued model to me ( I know, you..."can't possibly comment"!) Have you got a black pair lying around in the stock room by any chance? lol
Only the ex demo pair
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
nodnarb4444:i no what your saying ive got the partington trophys and there finish is not shiney like the pics.i still really like them and would like to upgrade to the broadside at some point
emotion-21.gif
and a nice partington tvand hifi rack would be nice to
I know they changed the silver paint finish at one point - we had to change our demo models to stay up to date!

FrankHarveyHiFi:nodnarb4444:i no what your saying ive got the partington trophys and there finish is not shiney like the pics.i still really like them and would like to upgrade to the broadside at some point
emotion-21.gif
and a nice partington tvand hifi rack would be nice to I know they changed the silver paint finish at one point - we had to change our demo models to stay up to date!

Hi,

Cannot say I have ever seen the square-bottomed type.

I have 2 pairs (one upstairs, on down) and both silver and black variety. Both have the rounded corner pieces.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
How many spikes does your stand have at the base? 4 or 6?

From memory, Partington used to do, an even better stand, that was completly filled with resin internally, it was very heavy and had six spikes for the base. They must have stoped doing it, due to lack of demand.

As far as quality is concerned, my stands are only spot welded at certain points along the length of the tube. This isnt anything to worry about. As far as grinding the welds down, if you do this, then the cost will go up, as its more time consuming, and the surrounding areas will require treatment too afterwards.

Paint work, um...I dont think my broadsides are totally orange skin effect, maybe very slightly.

One thing I have noticed will all stands, is that the silver paintwork, seems to go sort of patch,with stains / light colours. As if, it has reacted to the oil in my hand, or something, when I'm trying to level them. Anyone else experienced this?

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:Sizzers:FrankHarveyHiFi:We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason. I had noticed and thought it may have been a misprint! Care to share the reason why? Not sure I can just yet.....
emotion-1.gif

Mr P retiring?

A

Anonymous

sometimesuk:

How many spikes does your stand have at the base? 4 or 6?

Mine has 4 spikes and maybe the 6 spiked resin filled stands your on about are called Partington heavi's? They look like they might have 6 spikes.

My main concern with build quality was that I thought I may have got copys but if it all the other broadsides seem to be the same im less concerned.

sometimesuk:

One thing I have noticed will all stands, is that the silver paintwork, seems to go sort of patch,with stains / light colours. As if, it has reacted to the oil in my hand, or something, when I'm trying to level them. Anyone else experienced this?

As my stands are black I can not help you there but I get no patchy stains or light colours on the black stands.

stumpy66:

FrankHarveyHiFi:Sizzers:FrankHarveyHiFi:We have been selling our Partington stands off recently, but that's for a different reason. I had noticed and thought it may have been a misprint! Care to share the reason why? Not sure I can just yet.....
emotion-1.gif

Mr P retiring?

Someone mentioned somthing about this to me recently but its not a reason to off load all his stands. Unless the persons carrying on the business are bringing out some a new line
emotion-40.gif

TRENDING THREADS