Panasonic VT30 sound output to RX-3067 av amp when accessing BBC iPlayer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys and Girls,

I fear need the benefit of your collective wisdom - again!

I have a Panasonic VT30 50" Plasma which is connected to my Yamaha RX-3067 via the appropriate HDMI cable. I have the newest HDMI cables that work for 3D etc.

In normal viewing everything is fine - although I am still not sure exactly what amp audio setting to use when watching sky - but I'll get back to that later.

My main question is that when I access the BBC iPlayer via the TV's Viera Connect internet connection I get no sound. I have tried selecting every audio input in the RX-3067 (well at least I think I have tried them all) and still nothing. For the sake of completeness I have only tried to listen to the Radio on the iPlayer so far, not any video content.

At the moment the only way I can hear anything is if I use the TV's inbuilt speakers - which considering I have a pretty high end surround sound speaker set up is a bit of a drag.

Does anyone have any advice about how to resolve this issue? I'm sure it's very simple - and I'm sure if I really studied the user manuals for the amp and the TV I'd figure it out eventually, but I figured I ask the experts first!

On a separate note, what's the best audio setting for my amp when watching sky broadcasts? I have it set on Surround Sound Decoder just now and it seems OK on most programs but I'm a little unclear why using the "Straight" option does not yield full 5.1 sound given that this is (or should be) outputted by the Sky HD box. When I put it on Straight I only get stereo sound.

Does the Surround Sound Decoder simply output the original Sky 5.1 audio signal or does it "interpret" the signals to mimic a 5.1 output. I'm not a great fan of messing with the signals unless absolutely necessary - I'd rather hear it as it was broadcast. Surely the sky HD box outputs the full 5.1 signal to the amp via the HDMI cable so why would the "Straight" amp setting not yield 5.1 sound from channels that broadcast 5.1 signals?

Any thoughts and suggestions very welcome as always,

Thanks in advance

OllyD

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
OllyD said:
Surely the sky HD box outputs the full 5.1 signal to the amp via the HDMI cable so why would the "Straight" amp setting not yield 5.1 sound from channels that broadcast 5.1 signals?

This forum REALLY needs sticky threads!

No, the Sky box does NOT output 5.1 via HDMI, to get that you need an additional optical or coaxial cable from the Sky box to the AV amp, otherwise you'll only get stereo and no there won't be an update to fix that as it's a HW issue, not a software issue, however the latest single tuner HD multiroom boxes apparently do support 5.1 over HDMI so hopefully the next gen HD+ box will do the same but Sky haven't announced that yet so don't hold your breath.

I have a Panasonic VT30 50" Plasma which is connected to my Yamaha RX-3067 via the appropriate HDMI cable. I have the newest HDMI cables that work for 3D etc.

In normal viewing everything is fine - although I am still not sure exactly what amp audio setting to use when watching sky - but I'll get back to that later.

My main question is that when I access the BBC iPlayer via the TV's Viera Connect internet connection I get no sound. I have tried selecting every audio input in the RX-3067 (well at least I think I have tried them all) and still nothing. For the sake of completeness I have only tried to listen to the Radio on the iPlayer so far, not any video content.

At the moment the only way I can hear anything is if I use the TV's inbuilt speakers - which considering I have a pretty high end surround sound speaker set up is a bit of a drag.

Does anyone have any advice about how to resolve this issue? I'm sure it's very simple - and I'm sure if I really studied the user manuals for the amp and the TV I'd figure it out eventually, but I figured I ask the experts first!

Does the Amp support ARC, does the TV support ARC, if so have you got the HDMI between the two plugged into the necessary input/output as only one of them will actually be ARC enabled and are you using an HDMI cable that supports ARC?

If the answer to any of those questions is "No", change the input/output or run ann additional optical connection from the TV's output to the Amp and select that input on the amp when watch iPlayer on the TV.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
From your post I am assuming that you use the tv as a display only, all sound from sky and blu-ray etc being routed via the amp. A couple of things if this is the case.

First point - The tv will not send sound to the amp via HDMI unless both support the new ARC (audio return channel), you have to provide another means, normally (as in my case) via an optical cable. This routes the tv sound (from internet or inbuilt tuner) out to the amp for decoding.

Second point - Sky + HD does not provide multi channel sound via HDMI, this must also be sent via optical or co-ax depending on the box you have.

As far as processing goes, I have set my Sony to use Pro Logic II for Sky and TV sources when they are not sending a multi channel signal.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
From your post I am assuming that you use the tv as a display only, all sound from sky and blu-ray etc being routed via the amp. A couple of things if this is the case.

First point - The tv will not send sound to the amp via HDMI unless both support the new ARC (audio return channel), you have to provide another means, normally (as in my case) via an optical cable. This routes the tv sound (from internet or inbuilt tuner) out to the amp for decoding.

Second point - Sky + HD does not provide multi channel sound via HDMI, this must also be sent via optical or co-ax depending on the box you have.

As far as processing goes, I have set my Sony to use Pro Logic II for Sky and TV sources when they are not sending a multi channel signal.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far.

So to begin with, Mea Culpa! I do have an optical audio connection running from the Sky box to the Amp and the Amp is set up to take its audio input from this optical input rather them from the HDMI - I had just forgotten I had had to it set up like this. Why can't Sky make a box that outputs the 5.1 via HDMI? I'm sure that has been asked a thousand times!

On the ARC point - there is good news and bad. The good news is that both the TV and the Amp support ARC and, low and behold, I had the HDMI cable connected to the wrong HDMI port on the TV - ie one of the ones that does not support ARC!

The bad news is that I have corrected this and still don't get any sound from the iPlayer. In fact the whole thing has taken a bit of a wobbly since I changed the connections but I'll keep investigating and report back.

OllyD

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
OllyD said:
On the ARC point - there is good news and bad. The good news is that both the TV and the Amp support ARC and, low and behold, I had the HDMI cable connected to the wrong HDMI port on the TV - ie one of the ones that does not support ARC!

The bad news is that I have corrected this and still don't get any sound from the iPlayer. In fact the whole thing has taken a bit of a wobbly since I changed the connections but I'll keep investigating and report back.

OllyD

My old Panny TV has a menu setting whereby you can choose the output sent to the second aux input, selecting any of tha other AV inputs or TUNER. Does your new set have something similar in the menus assuming you have used an HDMI cable that supports ARC of course :)

A

Anonymous

Hmm,

Probably - I think I have seen something to this effect in there somewhere. I take a look. If all else fals I may even have to dig out the manual.....!!!!

Oh and I do have to fancy HDMI cables - I made sure of that when I bought the amp and TV last month so that I could watch 3d stuff.

Cheers

OllyD

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I fixed the iPlayer issue. For anyone else who has the Yamaha RX-3067 it turns out that that the Audio Return functionality needs to be manually enabled in the menu, rather than it simply being active by default. No I can hear the iPlayer sound though my surround sound system :)

Cheers

OllyD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts