Panasonic TX-P50GT30 wont start on HDMI 2 (ARC)? :quest:

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Just picked up this tv on Monday and cannot get it to automatically switch to HDMI 2 on startup.

I need to use HDMI 2 as this is the ARC input and all my sound is played through an AVR but I also want the tv to automatically switch to this input when I turn it on.

I have a high speed HDMI lead going from HDMI 2 on the TV to the output on my Onkyo 609.

Has anybody managed to get around this?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I have the 42"GT30 and the same Onkyo 609 amp and i have no problems like this, make sure that in the setup menu of the tv and under link settings that the tv is set to viera link on and that HDMI content detection is set to auto. That should mean that the tv and amp are connected and that HDMI 2 is the default auto switch over, my tv is set up this way with the onkyo amp and i also run it with ARC audio and HDMI 2 comes up as default.

There is also HDMI control on the amp as i'm sure you are aware and it could be a handshake issue so if the above doesn't work and HDMI control is already on in the amps HDMI menu then try this as it sorted out a handshake issue i initially had, in the HDMI menu of the amp turn off HDMI control in the menu and exit then turn off the amp and tv...turn both the tv and amp back on and then turn HDMI control back on in the amp menu exit it and again turn off both the tv and amp. Now when you turn them both back on the amps HDMI control has been reset and the link to the tv established, a pain i know, but it works!

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Hi

Thanks for the advice but have tried all this and still having the same issues?

Everytime I switch the tv on it goes striaght to freesat or freeview. Very confused?!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
What equipment do you have connected to the amp?

Whenever you power up the tv it will go to tv everytime as standard (freeview or freesat) but the hdmi input should switch over when you power up whatever equipment is connected to the amp...a bluray player for example, games console, dvd player etc.There is no way to change the input that the tv switches to when you first turn it on, it will always go to tv no matter what but it should switch over automatically as soon as you power up any other equipment that is connected to the amp.

Does the tv do this when you power up any other equipment that is connected to the amp?

A

Anonymous

Ah could be it then as it is Sky+HD box that I want to come on automatically each time. When I had the hdmi lead connected to HDMI1 on the TV it auto-switched the tv to HDMI1 on startup, thereby displaying Sky.

Dont have aproblem with autoswitching the ps3 or bluray player.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
What happens if you power up the Sky box before you turn the tv on, does it not switch over then?

Have you checked that the Sky box has hdmi control switched on?

If none of the above changes anything then it may well be one of those things you have to live with i'm afraid but when all is said and done it's only one button press on the remote to switch it over eh...no big deal really just a minor inconvenience.

A

Anonymous

Makes no difference if the Sky box is already switched on and I dont think it has HDMI control so wont auto switch.

The tv has a setting to automatically start on TV or AV but it will not startup on AV even if this is selected!

A

Anonymous

Makes no difference if the Sky box is already switched on and I dont think it has HDMI control so wont auto switch.

The tv has a setting to automatically start on TV or AV but it will not startup on AV even if this is selected!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Then i'm afraid you will have to live with it as it is...the setting you refer to only affects AV via scart or HDMI 1 and so it won't work with HDMI 2. You could of course use HDMI 1 as that would solve the issue but you will lose the use of ARC so it's a case of what is more important to you?? If you value the tv starting up with the Sky HD box then use HDMI 1 but if compatibility of all your sources and ARC are more important then use HDMI 2, it seems on this occasion you can't have the best of both worlds i'm afraid :O

A

Anonymous

Hi

My Name is Adam from Panasonic UK's online support Team. I noticed your post and think I might be able to help.

This is a limitation with Sky boxes when wanting to use ARC. The HDMI 1 connection on the TV will detect in 2 ways and HDMI 2 will only detect in 1 way.

HDMI 1: HDAVI and video signal detection.
HDMI 2: HDAVI detection only.

As far as im aware Sky have not implemented HDAVI switching in the SKY HD boxes, so because we use HDMI2 for ARC and Sky don’t use HDAVI control ‘Oldboy’ is 100% correct, it is one or the other in terms of AV at power on and ARC.

Power on preference is waiting for HDAVI control for HDMI2, this is why even selecting 'AV' in the power on preference doesn’t solve the problem.

There is potentially a way round this involving Hotel mode, in which you are able to select which input the TV switches to when you turn the set on. However because this is a service only menu I am unable to release how to do this. A search for Panasonic hotel mode on a popular search engine may prove useful though……

Hope this helps
Adam

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts