Panasonic TH-37PX80 performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="al7478"]Brilliant - you're a scholar and a gentleman, Sir![/quote]

Hear hear!

Very much appreciate all the info you have given Tumbleweed.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Regassing is also another myth[/quote]

A convenient myth if you're trying to flog a punter an expensive extended warranty.

[quote user="professorhat"]Most
plasmas have an estimated lifespan of something like 11 years if left
permanently switched on, so much longer with just normal use.[/quote]

Yes, about 50 years of normal use. And that's usually given as the time by which the screen will have dimmed to 50% of its original brightness, not the time at which the screen goes 'phut'.

A

Anonymous

Al and Scotsgirl, you're very welcome. I'm glad to have been of some assistance
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

(Sorry for double posting - There seems to be 2 threads on the PX80 at the moment, and this one is possibly the more mature.)

I just wondered if tumbleweed or anyone else would be able to comment on performance with an Xbox or PS3, particularly regarding plasma/green smear in games?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Hey goosee. I commented a little on this earlier in the thread. I've been playing a lot of Burnout Paradise on my Xbox 360 which is now hooked up via HDMI at 720p

I noticed a little green fringing (not much) in high contrast areas, for example driving in from the sunshine into a parking garage, I would see a little green fringe as the dark interior of the garage contrasted against the bright sunlight outside. I had a look at the videos on youtube because I'd heard that the PX70, 60 and possibly previous plasmas were susceptible to this.

The fringing I see (when I look for it) is nowhere near as bad as on those videos. I play Gears of War too and haven't actually noticed any 'phosphor lag' while playing, which is strange because it seems to be the game that is used to demonstrate it in the youtube videos.

I read somewhere that some people are more susceptible to noticing the green phosphor fringing than others (I suppose if you're red/green colourblind you're sorted!). See if a local Curry's will hook up a console for you and see what you think.

I'm very happy and barely notice it. It's not an issue in my opinion.

Now I'm off to complete some more online challenges in Burnout!

A

Anonymous

Hi Scotsgirl,

the grey borders are actually caused by the incapability of the LCD backlighting to uniformly highlight all areas of the screen. As plasma screens do not rely on backlighting you will not see this on the 37PX80.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Panopio"]
Hi Scotsgirl,

the grey borders are actually caused by the incapability of the LCD backlighting to uniformly highlight all areas of the screen. As plasma screens do not rely on backlighting you will not see this on the 37PX80.
[/quote]

Cheers for that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts