Panasonic Plasma has developed a thin blue/purple line in middle of screen??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My 4 year old 42 inch Plasma (think it's the LX80 or something) seems to have overnight developed a very thin, bright blue ish purple line down the middle of the screen (it becomes a black line when changing between channels on the blue background)
Has anyone else experienced this and what can be done? Surely a 4 year old set isn't for the scrap heap already??

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
ferris said:
My 4 year old 42 inch Plasma (think it's the LX80 or something) seems to have overnight developed a very thin, bright blue ish purple line down the middle of the screen (it becomes a black line when changing between channels on the blue background) Has anyone else experienced this and what can be done? Surely a 4 year old set isn't for the scrap heap already??

I had similar problem with a Panasonic plasma of similar vintage - although mine had a green line - it's quite common, unfortunately.

You're covered by the Sale Of Goods Act (SOGA), because your TV is kaput when less than six years old, therefore, it's not 'fit for purpose'.

Don't contact Panasonic - you'll be fobbed off - contact the dealer where you purchased the TV.

The dealer is obliged by SOGA to repair the TV free-of-charge. If the dealer is unable to fix the TV, then it must provide you with a replacement, also free-of-charge. (Your Panasonic will need a new panel, mine did.)

For reassurance, contact Consumer Direct for free advice/guidance
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. not sure if i've still got the receipt but will have a look. It was from a Panasonic shop. Would they have record of the pourchase if i can't find my receipt or is a receipt a must??

Check this.

Q7. Do I have to produce a receipt to claim my rights?No. In fact the trader doesn't have to give you a receipt in the first place so it would be unfair to say that you had to produce one. However, it might not be unreasonable for the shop to want some proof of purchase, so look to see if you have a cheque stub, bank statement, credit card slip etc., and this should be sufficient.

A

Anonymous

Just a quick point that although you may well be covered by the SOGA, it's not always as simple as ringing up the dealer and saying "My TV is faulty and under six years old so fix it free of charge please" and that's all you have to do. At the age your TV is at, the retailer is well within their rights to ask you to pay for an independant experts report to determine the cause of fault etc. If it turns out to be an inherant fault and the retailer agrees to fix it they will also pay you back the cost of the report.

Having said that, if it's a fairly common fault that definitately plays into your favour. If you plan on ringing the dealer then I'd suggest doing a little research on forums etc to find out if it is a common problem. If it is, then you may well be able to persuade the dealer to fix it without the need for getting reports etc. Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. I've found the receipt now and it's 4 and a half years old and i've also found the 5 year guarantee it came with! Hopefully will get it sorted but not looking forward to being without a TV though.

A

Anonymous

An update if anyone's interested!
The model number is TH42PX600 and according to the service dept it is a common problem on this and the 700 and requires a new panel. Thank god it's still under guarantee!
he also said that in his opinion, the quality of the new plasmas isn't as good as the ones panasonic were making 3 or 4 years ago for some reason.

Supernube

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I own a Panasonic TH50PZ70 Plasma TV. I purchased the TV 20/11/07 and it has now developed a thin blue line visible on occasion across the screen.

I have seen mentioned on the What HiFi site about SOGA ? and that apparently If it is under 6 years old the retailer (the panasonic shop) have to replace the TV or repair it free of charge ...Is this the case or am I misreading things.

Also the SUS / Y Board has now gone...and I contacted The panasonic shop ...out of my 5 year warranty...they said the contact the Panasonic repair department but I would have to pay for the repairs...and pick up of £75 !! I said I would drop it to them lol.

I am more interested in where I stand with SOGA ...and If there is a way of having this sorted out without it costing me an absolute fortune ?

Please help if you can ....any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much

Daniel

It is very tricky as the purchase was made more than 5 years ago; the onus is on you to demonstrate that it is a result of manufacturing defect.

Contact Citizens Advice Bureau:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e.htm

Supernube

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Oh...not going to be a straight forward thing then is it.....I sense a lot of hassle and no result at the end of it.
There is no way I can prove it to be a manufacturing fault...and it probably isnt anyway at this age is it ?
I take it this is for the blue line AND the SUS / Y Board ?
Thank you

Well, it's not usual to have a purple line in the middle of the screen as a result of wear & tear! I would suggest you contact citizen's advice bureau for advice. The onus on you means you'll be responsible to pay for an engineer (usually £40-50 or slightly more) to inspect the TV & report that the fault isn't a result of wear & tear. This will then be refunded.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It's almost inevitably a manufacturing issue, assuming you've been using it as you're supposed to. The real issue would be how long it is reasonable to expect the TV to last. How much did you pay for it?

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
This link is interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theoneshow/consumer/2009/07/03/sale_of_goods_act_letter_downl.html

the letter says the sales of goods act is valid for 6 years

cabman

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
Just to be clear THe SOGA does not give a six year guarantee, it is the time limit for claiming breach of contract in the courts.

That is why you would need to show that the fault is down to an inherent fault in the TV (or any goods) and that given the price, quality etc that the goods should have lasted a reasonable period of time.

I very much doubt that Panasonic and their dealers are not aware of this problem and know that it is down to faulty manufacture.

I too had this problem on an older set (px70) it was explained to me at the time what the fault was, but i have forgotten the exact details - something to do with a metal part touching something it shouldn't?

Anyway, how to claim under SOGA is detailed in other replies and more information available online.

Dont be fobbed off, people pay good money for what is supposed to be a premium product, you have the right to expect the goods to last.

Lim4ever

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have a Panasonic TX-P42U30B 42 inch Plasma FHD TV which is 4 years old. When turned on yesterday the right half of

the screen has become illegible. The other half shows the picture fine when playing either freeview, Blu-Ray or XBox.

I have checked all cables and reset the freeview box but nothing is working. When turned off there is a faint ghosting

on one side of the TV. Any help would be so appreciated. It would cost £100 to get Currys to look at it, but it doesn't mean

that they could fix it - is my TV broke? please, please help. I have a photo of the screen that i can upload if it helps.

I have the receipts for it but it was bought from Best Buy which no longer exists.Thanks for any help.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I dont know about Panasonic customer.care. Chances are not great? 4years is 'on the edge' for SOG for a TV.. Was it a 'premium' model? If so you may stand a small chance.. I claimed for a new fridge (£1000) after nearly 4 years - took a lot of work to get a free replacement.. How long should a TV last?

Post a pic to Pana to get their opinion first. A polite letter to express your disappointment in their highly reputeable brand - and ask them for a diagnosis and repair options. If they tell you the problem/solution you stand a better chance of some redress.

At best I would hope for a free repair but somewhat doubtful. Let us know of the outcome & good luck.

Just seen its a 'budget' TV £500ish? I suspect you could replace it with better now for much less. Mine was£1000+ about 4yrs back but I recon I could better it now for half.that. Although contacting Pana is worth a punt, I recon a new tele may be on the cards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts