A positive(ish) comment re Panasonic UK. Shock!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Recently, my 2.5-year-old Panasonic TH42PX70 plasma developed a terminal fault - a thin green vertical line in the centre of the screen. Grrrrrrr!

Obviously, the guarantee had expired, so I assumed that I would have to battle with the retailer (sale of goods act - 'not fit for purpose... retailer liable for up to 6 years after purchase'... blah, blah), which was going to be tricky because the retailer is based approx 220 miles from my home.

So, I called Panasonic UK's customer services, where an efficient and polite lady – albeit with a voice that could freeze a Red Bull RB6's exhaust pipes - suggested that I take the TV to my nearest 'official Panasonic service centre' (2 miles from my home), which would diagnose the fault, report to Panasonic, which in turn would decide on one of the following:

a) I would have to pay a share (50%?) of the cost of part(s)/labour, Panasonic to pay the balance

b) Panasonic would supply the part(s) foc, but I would have to pay for the labour (c. £140)

c) Panasonic would cover the cost of part(s) and labour. (DHYB?)

To cut to the chase, today the service centre phoned to say that the TV needs a new panel (c. £700) but Panasonic would be covering the cost of the panel AND the labour charge, although I would have to pay the service centre's 'inspection fee' (£40).

I could whinge about the £40; the general hassle of a TV expiring after only 2.5 years; the Laurel and Hardy routine that 'Er Indoors and I had while trying to carry - upright at all times, natch - a 32kg, 42in TV down 3 flights of stairs, then shoehorn it into the back of our car during a monsoon. But hey, there has to be some consequences for buying online (to save £300 off the rrp) from a shop that's 220 miles from home?

My next 'TV saga' will be regarding my 4-month-old Philips 47PFL7404's picture problems - ever-increasing clouding + headache-inducing motion blur.

Here's hoping that Philips's after-sales policy matches Panasonic's. DHYB.

A

Anonymous

"very good two reasons that have me put away from buying new big tvs recently..."

Why would that put you off buying? If you get it from a decent supplier or shop they'll give you a 5yr g'tee anyway.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can I stop HMB now?
emotion-12.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts