Panasonic or Onkyo Blu-Ray player, when I have an Onkyo receiver

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR509 receiver and I'm looking to upgrade from DVD to Blu-Ray. Plan is to use it to up scale my DVD's, Blu-rays of course, and be my main living room CD player.

Now do I go Panasonic to match my freeview box and go with the what hifi 2011 winner Panasonic DMP-BDT210?

Or, go for the slightly more expensive entry level Onkyo Blu-ray player? It seems to have every thing Panasonic does, but maybe better sound playback features with the HD audio.

You have an entry level AV receiver. An AV receiver is the heart of any system. No point in the blu ray player being more expensive than it. Save the cash for a receiver upgrade in the near future. The 210 will suffice your needs.

nads

bigboss said:
You have an entry level AV receiver. An AV receiver is the heart of any system. No point in the blu ray player being more expensive than it. Save the cash for a receiver upgrade in the near future. The 210 will suffice your needs.

Exactly.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Cheers for the thoughts!

The 509 is everything I need at the moment. I don't have any need for 7.1 and I'm not able to fit bigger cables in to bi-wire. So, I'm happy with the 509 for a good while.

So, with my mind set on not upgrading my amp, I guess either the onkyo or cheaper Panasonic will suffice. Would either be recommended? Would I not benefit from the better onkyo sound? Or is the Panasonic picture better?

nads

timbo999 said:
Cheers for the thoughts!

The 509 is everything I need at the moment. I don't have any need for 7.1 and I'm not able to fit bigger cables in to bi-wire. So, I'm happy with the 509 for a good while.

So, with my mind set on not upgrading my amp, I guess either the onkyo or cheaper Panasonic will suffice. Would either be recommended? Would I not benefit from the better onkyo sound? Or is the Panasonic picture better?

Well how are you thinking of sending the data? The amp will in most cases be doing most of the decoding.

What will be doing the decoding?

1) There won't be any appreciable difference in blu ray picture quality between the players.

2) Both the players are good DVD upscalers.

3) Which speakers have you got? It is likely that your speakers will not be revealing enough to bring out the subtle differences in audio quality between players; definitely not worth the extra premium.

The Panasonic is a What Hi Fi winner for a reason. :)

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I have Mission 732 floors standers, a 75C centre speaker and some Mordaunt short big book shelf speakers for rears.

As for decoding, well the 509 amp doesn't upscale, but the 609 does. So I guess the blu ray player will be doing all of the decoding? And upscaling? Or are these the same thing? Ha!

The only other benefit of the onkyo is that my amp remote will operate it better? Maybe?

Cheers for the interst folks! Much appreciated.

timbo999 said:
As for decoding, well the 509 amp doesn't upscale, but the 609 does. So I guess the blu ray player will be doing all of the decoding? And upscaling? Or are these the same thing? Ha!

Decoding & upscaling are 2 different things. Decoding is for audio, while upscaling is for video. With your speakers, you will benefit from a better AV receiver. That should be your next aim.

The only other benefit of the onkyo is that my amp remote will operate it better? Maybe?

Depends on your preferences. A cheap universal remote will operate all your components.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite surprised that I'm being recommended to buy a new amp. I thought the 509 was exactly what I needed, it's just 2 months old. The same as the 609, but just 5.1, and I can only run 5.1 speakers.

Im happy with the 509, too. I'm sure I will upgrade one day, but in a few years.

Out of interest, what sort of amp/receiver Upgrade are we talking about here? Any examples would be greatly appreciated. And would any amps be more suitable than others for my speakers?

A

Anonymous

If your happy with the 509 I would suggest you stick with it, all that BB was suggesting was that your speakers are good enough to take more power in future if you decided to upgrade.

markjaspi said:
If your happy with the 509 I would suggest you stick with it, all that BB was suggesting was that your speakers are good enough to take more power in future if you decided to upgrade.

Exactly. :)

Your amp is very good. But if you want improved performance, put the money in a better amp than a more expensive blu ray player.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
nads said:
bigboss said:

Exactly.

Although, if you're into continually upgrading your stuff, you could get a Blu-Ray player that is perceived as "better" than your receiver, then when you update your receiver (whether that be in 6 months or 6 years), you've already got the quality source sorted.

Big Chris said:
nads said:
bigboss said:

Exactly.

Although, if you're into continually upgrading your stuff, you could get a Blu-Ray player that is perceived as "better" than your receiver, then when you update your receiver (whether that be in 6 months or 6 years), you've already got the quality source sorted.

:) That's thinking another step ahead!

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Cheers for this!

I know what you mean now, my amp isnt worthy of a more expensive player, simples. I just thought the amp would benefit from the best player I could afford but it sounds like the Panasonic player is good enough till a few models higher than my amp. Tricky to know where the limits are with hifi for me. I'm new to it all.

Not sure which I'll get yet. Either pan or onkyo for sure. Pan has the online features and it seems the onkyo has less online features, so pan might win there, I'll be using ethernet cable. But onkyo will be better for the remotes I have. Either will be sound, that's good enough for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts