Panasonic and Home Cinema set up

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I bought one of the Panasonic TX-L42E5B tvs and Im trying to connect my Samsung Home Cinema thing to it.

Previously I had the Samsung connected with my freeview recorder box to my old tv and scarts etc and I want to keep this set up but be able to watch the Panasonic freeview with the home cinema sound.

Apparently with the Viera interface it is possible and on one of the tools Ive been able to change the sound channel from tv to home cinema but I cant get any sound from the hc speakers. Ive tried changing the input channel on the hc remote - av1 av2 etc but no change. When I select "home cinema" through the Viera interface, the hc system automatically comes on so it much be connected (through HDMI I think) but I just cant get the sound.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks in advance.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Have you got HDMI control turned on on both devices? I don't know where you would find the option on your Samsung system but it will be in the manual, on the tv go to the setup menu and select link settings and make sure VIERA Link is on and that HDMI content detection is set to auto. Make sure the Samsung system has HDMI control (or link, it may be named different on Samsung devices) switched on then the two devices should be ready to go.

Press the Viera link button on the tv remote and select home cinema and you should get sound, make sure you use the correct HDMI output if the tv has an ARC (audio return channel) option, on Panasonic tvs this is usually HDMI 2 and if the Samsung system is also ARC compatible you should get tv sound through the HDMI connection.

What is the model number of your Samsung home cinema system? If you could provide this i would be able to give you much more info but i hope the above is of some help in the meantime.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Ive checked in the Samsung manual and though it does mention HDMI there, there isnt a button to press to operate or use it. Ive tried changine the various auxilary settings but it doesnt make any difference

Also on the Viera Tools I cant see anything related to HDMI content, although when I select "Home Cinema" from the choices I have for sound, the cinema system player switches on.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I should say that I want to set it up so my television will be linked to the home cinema's sound when I watch normal t.v. This is not about watching films as that is straightforward.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Might sound stupid, but I had a home cinema system in the past, and the only way I could get sound through the 5.1 was to turn the volume to zero on the tv.

As I said, it might be a stupid idea, but maybe worth trying.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Portoman said:
I should say that I want to set it up so my television will be linked to the home cinema's sound when I watch normal t.v. This is not about watching films as that is straightforward.

Ok so i think the answer lies in the manual on page 28...and the solution lies in the Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) function on the Samsung home cinema system.

If you select the TV
Set the Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) to On by pressing the Anynet+
button on your TV remote control.
• Receiver : On : You can listen to audio through the Home Cinema.
• Receiver : Off : You can listen to audio through the TV.

This seems to suggest that if you connect the tv via HDMI and do the above then you should get sound from the system with tv BUT bear in mind that Anynet+ is a Samsung system and may not work with your Panasonic tv due to compatability issues but i should add that my Sony 570 BD player is recognised by my Samsung LED tv in the bedroom and Anynet+ seems to work fine with that so it may well work for you.

If you still can't get sound for tv viewing try using the optical connection on the unit and connect it to the optical on your tv, you should definately get sound from this method but it means running another cable i'm afraid.

To connect via digital optical do the following:

OPTICAL : Connecting an External Digital Component
Digital signal components such as a Cable Box/Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box).
1. Connect the Digital Input (OPTICAL) on the Home Cinema to the Digital Output of the external
digital component.
2. Press the AUX button on the remote control to select DIGITAL IN.
• You can also use the FUNCTION button on the main unit to select D-IN.
The mode switches as follows :
DVD/CD ➞ D.IN ➞ AUX 1 ➞ AUX 2 ➞ USB ➞ B/T ➞ FM.

Let me know how you get on, hope i've been of some help to you.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Portoman said:
Hi

Thanks for the detailrd information. I will have a look and report back, although Im pretty sure there isnt an Anynet+ connection on my tv.

Sorry i should have been a little clearer, your Samsung home cinema will have Anynet+ on it and your tv will have Panasonic Viera Link on it. Both of these are just Samsung and Panasonics way of naming the HDMI control function and should still work with each other as HDMI control is a standard technology but if you have 2 products from one manufacturer then you get some extra functionality and are able to use one remote to control muliple devices.

When you start mixing products of different manufacturers you can experience some problems like you have at the moment with tv sound but HDMI control is a standard technology employed across lots of home cinema equipment.

Hope that clears up the slight confusion.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
+1 to what Oldboy has stated, just to add i would only turn the Panasonic TV's Viera Link on, if you have both turned on they may conflict, having had a similar problem with this in the past.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Okay I had no luck with the Anynet + thing - it did talk about it in the manual but only in relation to a controller for a Samsung tv no the home cinema system BUT I was able to connect a digital cable from the tv to the home cinema and it works !!!!

The strange thing is I can control the speaker volume using both the panasonic tv remote and the home cinema remote !

Thanks for taking the time to post and for all your help.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Okay I had no luck with the Anynet + thing - it did talk about it in the manual but only in relation to a controller for a Samsung tv no the home cinema system BUT I was able to connect a digital cable from the tv to the home cinema and it works !!!!

The strange thing is I can control the speaker volume using both the panasonic tv remote and the home cinema remote !

Thanks for taking the time to post and for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts