Pana 85 vs. Sony 370...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

ive got dialogue just right , having adjusted the equalizer settings , and i use 7 channel enhancer , very happy with my 765...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Nick_Shepherd:
Hi all,

Im looking at both now too. And was hoping the 370 is a clear step over the 360??? the Team seem to feel its as good as any mid range player......

Strapped: re diologue pn the 1065, I kind of see what you mean but more so at low volumes, but then again, I was at the cinema last night and the diologue there was not eactly crystal clear. I'm more than happy with the 1065. I watch using 'straight' by the way, so I get the audio as inteneded. Pure direct sounded odd to me and I spke to Yamah who confirmed its meant for stereo.....

Hi Nick

Glad you're happy with the 1065!

Perhaps my problem is down to my proximity to neighbours, which means I'm generally watching at low to moderate volume levels. That and the fact that I'm not sure of the extent to which the damaged diaphragm on my centre speaker is distorting dialogue. The latter problem I'm going to sort out soon anyway.

I tend to use the 'straight' mode as it compensates for the fact that I don't use a sub, and at least you can tweak the sound. Whether I want to get heavily involved in EQ settings for individual speakers, however, I'm not sure...

Do you currently own the 360? In which case I'm not sure it's worth the additional outlay. Then again, you can't go too far wrong given the price of the 370.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
maxflinn:ive got dialogue just right , having adjusted the equalizer settings , and i use 7 channel enhancer , very happy with my 765...

Hi Max

On a rainy day I might have a play with the EQ settings. When I tried before I couldn't get a result I was happy with. Are you using the same EQ levels for all speakers?

A

Anonymous

strapped for cash:
maxflinn:ive got dialogue just right , having adjusted the equalizer settings , and i use 7 channel enhancer , very happy with my 765...

Hi Max

On a rainy day I might have a play with the EQ settings. When I tried before I couldn't get a result I was happy with. Are you using the same EQ levels for all speakers?

yes , for each speaker ive got the same setting , try it ,

in the equalizer settings , set the top one to 4.5 , the one below to 3.5 , the next one down to 2.5 , and the one below that to 1.5 , i leave the rest alone ..

give it a shot , it only takes a couple of minutes ..

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Max, I'll give it a shot.

Think you're right to keep the same settings for all speakers to preserve an even tonal quality.

Away from home at the mo so I'll have to wait till I get back (hopefully armed with a shiny new 370 and replacement diaphragm for my tweeter)!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I now am the proud owner of a BD85, do I need multi channel out no, do I want to save money and buy the Sony, of course yes!!.......but I do not like the Sony colouration of both picture and sound, too in your face. Panasonics approach suits my taste.

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
strapped / max

I do have a 360 which I want to put in another room, hence looking at last years mid range players. The max mentioned the super test which says the 370 is better than last years mide range offerings....as strapped says, I probably cant go worng anyway given the online prices at the moment for the 370......

I have not touched anything yet on my 1065. I promised myself I would use it for a while and enjoy the movies, otherwise I can fond myself constantly analizing what I am listening to.....

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
i already had the sony 360 and decided to buy a 370 on the what hifi review.

i did a direct comparison, same film , equipment etc

the 370 had slightly beter colours deeper and richer, but only slightly, enough to notice though

the sound was the same i didnt notic any difference.

tha main advantage which made the purchase worthwile was the loading times, while they were only slightly quicker, the eject on the dvd drawer was instant.

the 360 you had to wait for the machine to start up and then press eject before you put the disc in, very annoying.

the 370 press eject and it powers up disc in drawer about 1-2 seconds as it should have been from the start.

the other advantage on the 370 is that both usb ports can play video files from my wd my passport and of course the eject butoon on the remote.

the improvements may seem small to some people but to me it was worth the expense

Nick_Shepherd

Feb 14, 2008
Visit site
lee37:

thanks for posting your findings, thats just what I needed to read. The lack of eject on the 360 remote is a pain and if the 370 improves picture even only a bit, and with quicker loading times, it has to worth the £130 or so you can buy the 370 for.

As the 360 is oging in a different room, and not being got rid of, I shall order me a 370!

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS