Pairing youtube to surround amp

whatwhatoldchap

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi, first of all I tried to search but there seems to be no search tool for the forums. I also rang my local Richer Sounds but didn't get any useful info. I have an LG smart tv on one corner and a PC in the opposite corner, both network wired to the BT router. I'd like to use the amp for TV/films but also for watching youtube content. Currently I have my TV 'paired' so that when I start a youtube clip on the PC, theres an icon I can click which sends it to the TV. I was wondering whether any amps had this kind of 'pairing' facility or is there another way to easily browse youtube and have it streaming to the amp? Surely playing youtube must be a very common user requirement. Is my only alternative to pair with the TV then have the TV outputting sound to the amp? thanks in advanceJD

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, not entirely sure I understand your question, so I'll explain the ways I use YouTube through my AV receiver.

I have two sources for YouTube: my Panasonic plasma and my Roku 3 streamer. Here are the connections I use for each:

Router > ethernet cable > TV > HDMI (Arc) > AV receiver > speakers

or...

Router > ethernet cable > Roku 3 > HDMI > AV receiver > speakers

The Roku 3 is slightly better in practice to use than my TV for YouTube - it seems to have a more responsive processor. And it also has BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4onDemand Channel5 catchup TV, Spotify and Netflix, so I tend to use this as my main one-stop-shop for video streaming.

Some YouTube videos stream at a pretty decent quality too. I've really enjoyed the multitude of various artists on YouTube's "Deezer Sessions" for example.

So I hope this answers what you were looking for. In both of the above options my PC remains completely out of the equation.

whatwhatoldchap

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering whether there were any amps that have a youtube app. Smart TVs have them hence I was able to 'pair' my youtube account with my TV, so I thought surely some AV receivers should have the app too.

For some reason I thought Roku was only wireless but if its wired that sounds ideal, thanks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
whatwhatoldchap said:
I was wondering whether there were any amps that have a youtube app. Smart TVs have them hence I was able to 'pair' my youtube account with my TV,

In that case the TV just needs to pass its audio to the receiver. That shouldn't be particularly difficult, can you tell us which TV and amp you have?

whatwhatoldchap

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
>>In that case the TV just needs to pass its audio to the receiver.

Right I thought I might be able to do it that way but I've been reading its generally best if all the various AV sources go to the AV receiver which then outputs to the TV and speakers.

I have an LG 55LA620V and the amp choice was going to be based on the result of this thread :)

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
whatwhatoldchap said:
>>In that case the TV just needs to pass its audio to the receiver.

Right I thought I might be able to do it that way but I've been reading its generally best if all the various AV sources go to the AV receiver which then outputs to the TV and speakers.

I have an LG 55LA620V and the amp choice was going to be based on the result of this thread :)

Right - I see what you're after now. One of the HDMI connections between my TV and my AV receiver is labelled ARC (Audio Return Channel). This means that the signal can pass both ways. It's the principal way that all my sources are fed through my AV receiver to my TV. But the same HDMI cable will also receive audio signals from the TV and output them through the speakers.

So if you already have the apps you want on your smart TV, there's no need for an additional Roku 3 player. The reason I wanted one was because it had a number of apps that I needed that were not on my TV.

TRENDING THREADS