Pairing Onkyo TX-8150 with Q Acoustics 3020 speakers

DanHoro

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
This is a basic newbie question, so please forgive me!

I'm looking at a bundle that comes with the Onkyo TX-8150 amp with Q Acoustics 3020 speakers. I assume from the fact that they are bundled together that they will work with each other. However, I've noticed that the 'recommended amp power' for the speakers is listed as 25-75w, and the amp itself is 2 x 135w.

Is this going to be okay?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Yes. It will be fine. Your amp in theory has more power than the speakers can be driven at, so you might blow them at maybe 8 or something, but in real life use they will be fine.

I think it's actually more likely to have a problem with a low powered amp pushed hard and sending distortion to your speakers, to much power is seldom a problem

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
If you don't crank the volume up too high then the speakers will be fine.

Although if you crank up the volume to 11 ( (c) Spinal Tap) instead of just 10, you could, perhaps, blow the speakers.

On the other hand, if your amp can't deliver the amps the speakers are demanding for the voltage you set (with the volume knob), then the amp will "clip". That is there will be a sudden and repeated hitting of the ceiling as it were, where tha amp simply can't deliver any more amps (current). This could hurt the amp (trying to drag too much current through the circuits) or the speakers (distortion) or both.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts