Pairing Kef ls50 with my budget receiver?

G00dband

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys,

After auditionning Harbeth P3esr and Kef ls50, I have decide to return my newly acquired Q Accoustics 2020 and replace them by ... (drum roll) the Kef ls50!!

My concern is that my amp/receiver is modest (but imo greatly underrated) and don't know if it will be good enough bring out a good enough performance from my LS50. But based on my these two reports I think it might work

http://www.kefdirectblog.com/kef-blog-audio-files/2014/1/7/which-amplifier-is-best-for-my-speakers-part-3-compare-the-n.html

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoreceiverreviews/ss/Onkyo-Tx-8020-Measurements.htm

What do you guys think?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
G00dband said:
Hi guys,

After auditionning Harbeth P3esr and Kef ls50, I have decide to return my newly acquired Q Accoustics 2020 and replace them by ... (drum roll) the Kef ls50!!

My concern is that my amp/receiver is modest (but imo greatly underrated) and don't know if it will be good enough bring out a good enough performance from my LS50. But based on my these two reports I think it might work

http://www.kefdirectblog.com/kef-blog-audio-files/2014/1/7/which-amplifi...

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoreceiverreviews/ss/Onkyo-Tx-8020-Measu...

What do you guys think?

It depends on your views as to what is good enough.

I have heard LS50s on a number of occasions and as I have no interest in buying a pair I offer the following comments as a disinterested listener.

If by good enough, you mean produce a sound to fill an average sized room without strain or obvious distortion, then yes a compedent budget amp/receiver is good enough.

However on the occasions that I have heard the LS50 powered with more modest amplifiers, I have been fairly underwhelmed, I found the sound small and lacking in presence but that said I have heard them sound little better with some pretty expensive and capable designs.

My conclusion is that the LS50 is capable of exceptional performance when matched into the right system and properly set up. When this is not the case they offer occasional glimpses of what they can do whilst mostly failing to really deliver overall. Very frustrating and for me, unliveable.

G00dband

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

I keep reading that the Ls50 are a hard match for many amps and that you need to invest a good amount of $$$ (wich i could end up doing) to make them sign. And then I came accross a review in Innerfidelity (Steve Guttenberg) that give me hope:

"My Bel Canto REF500S, Emotiva Mini X, and my trusty old NAD 3020 amps were put into desktop service, and I was perfectly happy with the sound of all three"

What make me think that my Tx 8020 might works is that in an other review for cnet Guttenberg was liking the sound of the tx 8020 when compare to the Emotiva Mini X.

I'll give my tx 8020 a try and if I am mot satisfied I might try the Emotiva Mini before spending big $$$

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
G00dband said:
Thanks for taking time to answer my question.

I keep reading that the Ls50 are a hard match for many amps and that you need to invest a good amount of $$$ (wich i could end up doing) to make them sign. And then I came accross a review in Innerfidelity (Steve Guttenberg) that give me hope:

"My Bel Canto REF500S, Emotiva Mini X, and my trusty old NAD 3020 amps were put into desktop service, and I was perfectly happy with the sound of all three"

What make me think that my Tx 8020 might works is that in an other review for cnet Guttenberg was liking the sound of the tx 8020 when compare to the Emotiva Mini X.

I'll give my tx 8020 a try and if I am mot satisfied I might try the Emotiva Mini before spending big $$$

It will totally depend on just how good is good, to you.

If you ever get to hear what LS50s are capable of in the right setup then your views may well change.

As detailed above, I find them annoying in lesser systems. YMMV!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
If it was me and wanted the Kef Ls50s which I did look at myself I think they deserve a good quality amp to get the best out of them because here in the uk they are £700 to buy . There are lots of posts on this speakers on here as they are quite popular I would look though some of the older posts and see what people are useing amp wise with this Ls50s

philandsue

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
My experience of KEF LS50 driven by a Rega Elicit R was completely underwhelming. I'd try a few alternatives and don't get taken in by the hype.

G00dband

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I'll try them with my tx 8020 and Ibasso D7 Dac which have a warm signature amd see how it sounds.

I'll will also try to to see if I can borrow a few demo amps from my local shop (they have Bryston, TEAC, marantz) and try them in my listening room at home.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Obviously each persons surroundings etc are different and the type of music you listen to.

But the LS50 are stunning with my Arcam FMJ A49.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts