Packing a Technics SL-1200mk2

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have sold a Technics SL-1200 MK2 and the buyer wants it delivered at his risk.

I have had a bit of a search regarding packing and preventing damage from careless handling and I think I've done everything right.Platter removed and wrapped,counterweight,lid hinges,cartridge,all removed a wrapped separately,all leads bubble wrapped and secured so as not to move around in box,plenty of bubble wrap and padding to stop excess movement in the box.The only thing puzzling me is how to secure the tonearm,it's got the tonearm clamp but is there anything else I should do to secure it.

I don't want anything going wrong with the shipment although the buyer accepts the risk,it's a matter of pride and I want the buyer to get what he's paid for.

Anybody got any experience on packing turntables?

Thanks

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You can use a bit of masking tape for the tonearm.

I now will not buy a turntable unless I can collect after having had one damaged by the courier. They eventually paid up but it took some time and was a right faff for the sender.

Can't remember the name of the place but I drove two hours each way to collect the Thorens.

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply,I'm really beginning to have grave misgivings about sending.

I'm really trying to pack this so as it's safe but I can't get anyone to say a good word about couriers,oh well at least I'm keeping the bubble wrap industry Happy.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
That was just my experience but remember that every turntable had to be shipped/couriered from the factory to dealer in the first place, sometimes with a distributor in between.

Lets have a little faith in our goods transportation industry :)

drummerman said:
That was just my experience but remember that every turntable had to be shipped/couriered from the factory to dealer in the first place, sometimes with a distributor in between.

Lets have a little faith in our goods transportation industry :)

Sounds like you have done your best. Have faith brother and just put way-up and fragile on the outer packaging.

It is, after all, not one of the most delicate of turntables I have dealt with.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
pegleg1945 said:
The only thing puzzling me is how to secure the tonearm,it's got the tonearm clamp but is there anything else I should do to secure it.

Wire twist like you get round new cables, or a cable tie, should do it.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm sure it will be just fine *biggrin*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXL661P8u3c

pegleg1945

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
I'm sure it will be just fine *biggrin*.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXL661P8u3c

Yeah,thanks Doug,

Me and the misses spent all morning surrounded by bubble wrap and polystyrene, wrapping the platter and deck to make it well cushioned and protected in a big cardboard box that had once transported a Denon amp safely to me,the packing was becoming useful again.

Anyway by the time we had finished boxing it all up the box was in excess of 30cm tall with all the layers of bubble wrap etc.

Now to arrange shipping,parcelforce 24 was going to cost me about £14 collected from my home,really good service I thought,but I kept getting emails advising me that for an extra £14 I could have it insured against damage.

Although it would double the cost I thought I would look into it and just as well I did,there is a long list of prohibited items they won't insure and right near the end of a very long list there is turntables!

One lives in hopes*unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts