PA speakers for hifi? Big woofers and horns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Put simply, loading any drive unit with a larger enclosure will lower the resonant frequency of the system (driver + enclosure) and extend bass response. Using ported enclosures will extend the bass response but brings other issues to the table.

Ideally you would use the Thiele/Small parameters to calculate the porting for a given enclosure volume but they may be very hard to find. In my younger days I was able to try all kinds of drivers in all kinds of enclosures, the most obvious thing I learned was that with big 15inch drivers the tolerances were actually quite wide.

My suggestion as to a starting point would be to look at available drivers aimed at a similar application (Eminence, Fane, Celestion) and try and find enclosure specs for them. It should give you a good starting point.

insider9

Yes, I get the bigger enclosure will do that. What I've heard about some vintage Tannoys that they were somewhat incorrectly designed. Whereas I'm not sure that's the case with Yams, but sure they would do better in bigger cabs.

It's an intriguing proposition. In no way I'm saying that these £40 speakers beat my Red Rose Classics but are just different. Sometimes different is all you need for a while. I'm quite enjoying their less hifi presentation.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Yes, I get the bigger enclosure will do that. What I've heard about some vintage Tannoys that they were somewhat incorrectly designed. Whereas I'm not sure that's the case with Yams, but sure they would do better in bigger cabs.

It's an intriguing proposition. In no way I'm saying that these £40 speakers beat my Red Rose Classics but are just different. Sometimes different is all you need for a while. I'm quite enjoying their less hifi presentation.

What do you mean by less hifi presentation?

insider9

Imaging isn't that precise. Soundstage, as their back up against the wall is flatter and not as wide (they're quite narrow granted). Not sure how they'd do if I pulled them out but they'd be too close to listening position, so no point trying. They're not to replace my speakers so I'm not going to set them up as my mains speakers anyway.

Also rolled off top and bottom the specs say 60-14,000Hz. But they can do reasonably between 50-ish Hz and 10kHz. Quite a roll of after so no change to be at - 3dB at 14kHz. As a result of rolled off top definition is not so great. Not to mention frequency response just measures poorly with aggressive mids (as already mentioned). So not hifi at all.

However, with DSP to correct for room and speaker somewhat. Focusing on correction through midrange. Not trying to fight the speaker, basically not doing too much. They give a nice dynamic sound that can be fairly accurate and has impact. Great for drums, vocals and horns.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts