admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Been looking to upgrade my Arcam A85 with a P85 power amp, but finding it very difficult to obtain one.

Is the P90 an option?

Is adding a power amp going to make a big difference?

A

Anonymous

yes, it will likely make quite a difference. I would e mail arcam re the compatibilty of the P90 with the A85 but as its a diva power amp it may match up ok.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]re the compatibilty of the P90 with the A85 but as its a diva power amp it may match up ok.[/quote]

I've had these two amps running together for two years now and the sound they produce is great. One definite enhancement to the P90/A85 combo was when I upgraded the interconnect cable between the two units. Overall, a marked improvement in the way music is presented. A depth of field in the soundstage, amongst other things. Always good for when you're playing just about anything but particularly when listening to complex or dense recordings. Want One by Rufus Wainwright is a case in point. Once I'd got the P90/A85 up and running, so too was Rufus, in all his glory. Then again, a deceptively simple construction, like the title track to Will Oldham's I See A Darkness, wrought huge changes in the way the music was cajoled from the speakers. Delicate and precise at one and the same time.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
It's a question I'm curious about myself. I've read people on other forums who say yes, and I don't see much reason why not, but I'd like to know the definitive answer.

There are often P85's on ebay, if you're willing to take your chances. There's a couple recently finished, and one black one on at the mo. I would contemplate buying from ebay if there was one near to me, and I could have a look at it beforehand, but as yet, none nearby.

They also seem to fetch disappointingly high prices. Current one is at £246 with a day to go.

*edit* I see the poster above me has cleared it up while I was typing my message. Thanks !

A

Anonymous

i had an arcam A75+ amp and when i added the power amp it was so much better . I was not fond of the A75+ as an amp but i will not argue about the difference a power amp can make.I use the P75 on my cambridge and it turns the already- good -for -the -money cambridge into a rather tasty amp. Bi amping makes a difference even my mum would hear.if the P90 is compatible, which i think it will be, you should go for it.A bi amped A85 would be quite superb i think.

A

Anonymous

The power amps all have the same gain levels so are compatible.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I know a couple of members have already confirmed this, but in case anyone wanted a reply from the horse's mouth, I received an email from Arcam today confirming that the P90 is an ideal match.

Also, they're still able/happy to service P85's, so this may help anyone looking at a second hand p85.

The hunt & decisions continue
emotion-18.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The Arcam power amps make a big difference to the sound-stage. The Alpha 9P i added to my main system made the speakers sing so much more. It's currently with Arcam again being re-serviced as something wasnt working right when i got it back.

If i were you, i'd definately look at adding either the P85 or the P90 to your system.

However, i auditioned the Arcam A90 integrated a few weeks back and was highly disappointed

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Sorry for bumping a thread from the dead!

I'm just curious, now that there's a few cheap power amps floating around, has anyone else made the move to bi-amping with the Diva range?

I still have the A85, and I'm still debating whether or not to add the P90.

If only I could get a P85, it'd be an easy decision. I'm just worried about possible differences between the 85/90 ranges. I know there's not much between them, but I still can't convince myself.

Someone convince me, please!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The only big difference in the A85 and P90 is that the P90 has just that bit more power.

This is a good thing though as you can rely on your integrated to power the treble on your speakers and allow the P90- to power the mid/bass driver(s).

Adding the P90 will add a definate change to your system opening up the soundstage, making the bass more punchy and well timed and it will also allow the midrange to open up and become just that bit more smooth :)

To me it would be a no-brainer. Just as long as you use a decent interconnect between them and have/use decent bi-wire speaker cable.

Once you add it and let it 'settle' into the system; you'll soon see why we've all recommended it!

Let us know how you get on!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks ever so much chaps, but I've just realised that I've missed the boat.

I'd been keeping an eye on Sevenoaks Brightons Arcam deals web page, and had presumed as the P90 was still listed, that they still had stock.

Just clicked into the link last night and they're all gone! Eejit
emotion-6.gif
Next cheapest I can see is £100 more and an ex-dem. Oh well!

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Joel, I shall keep an eye on it!

I've already tried Lintone, they've no P90's left. Loads of places have P35's, so I was considering moving up to a 32/35 pairing, but that would mean the CDP purchase would have to wait.

We're relocating at the mo, and due to this whole "credit crunch" carry-on we'll no doubt be paying for 2 houses for a while. Bloomin' recession getting in the way of hi-fi purchases
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts