P.L.T interference

thealarman

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi All, i wonder if any of you have suffered from PLT interference on your HIFI equipment. i know that sky receiver boxes can cause a problem. If you have or had it what did you use to get rid of the problem, if there are filters you can put on the mains can you give me a make or model number or internet link so i can check out these items. Please don't suggest throwing the sky box out of the window, you might land me in a lot of trouble. many thanks in advance.

thealarman

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Explain issues with whatever you mean by 'short wave listening' please.
Presumably this is a known problem what ever amplifier you happen to be using at the time.....
in this case it is a amateur radio thats having a problem, but i thought i would check out if you HIFI experts have come across this issue, i have read online that it can cause havoc with hifi gear.
it cab also cause problems with DAB radio and wifi radio, these devices should be banned

in this case it is a amateur radio thats having a problem, but i thought i would check out if you HIFI experts have come across this issue, i have read online that it can cause havoc with hifi gear.
it cab also cause problems with DAB radio and wifi radio, these devices should be banned
Why do you want to ban them, a tad extreme when you can simply choose not to use them.
If they were so much of a problem then I am sure they wouldn't actually sell very many.

shadders

Hi,
If there are many other ways of obtaining a solution rather than use a PLT, then perhaps pursue those.

A few years ago, my neighbour did something to their Sky feed from the antenna, and although his feed was coax, and my terrestrial was coax, his changes caused significant power to be transmitted 1 metre into my coax disrupting my TV signal. I used my portable spectrum analyser to show the problem, and they immediately stopped whatever they were doing.

Is it possible that your PLT could also be affecting neighbours ?, and they haven't reaised it is you ?

This may be old information, but the radiocommunications agency can enter your property without a warrant if you are affecting others with your signal transmissions.

Regards,
Shadders.

These definitely create noise that my noise sniffer detects. Whether it adversely affects the Hifi is harder to tell. I’ve definitely seen issues with phono stages, which is unsurprising due to their huge amplification of tiny signal. Careful routing of cables and judicious siting of both sender and receiver will probably help too.

Russ Andrews and others sell ‘silencer’ type devices to plug in near to noise sources, which may be worth trying with a return option.

By the way, I had to google PLT, but if you’d said homeplugs or power line adapters I would have twigged! There’s a 150 odd pages about it here, if you’re curious. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-and-data/technology/general/emerging-tech/plt-interference

Reactions: Al ears
I've used this since 2018 with no issues, although the hifi and HC gear are on separate spurs from the rest of the house, and from the mains in the room in which they live - no idea if that makes a difference:

shadders

I've used this since 2018 with no issues, although the hifi and HC gear are on separate spurs from the rest of the house, and from the mains in the room in which they live - no idea if that makes a difference:

Hi,
I suppose it is a good thing that your system functions without interference.

I examined the amazon link, and the description from TP-Link on how it works. It will use the house internal power wiring to communicate from downstairs to upstairs.

The funny aspect here, is that you mentioned that your sound equipment is on a different spur. The upstairs and downstairs are on different ring mains also, and yet the power line adapter works.

I have seen many statements of peoples experience where they say that their spur has reduced the RF noise affecting their equipment, even though the spur, or other, is still connected to the mains fuse panel in the best case.

If the power line adapters can reach from top to bottom, or vice versa, in a house, then a spur will make no difference. The power of imagination is absolutely amazing.

Regards,
Shadders.

thealarman

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Why do you want to ban them, a tad extreme when you can simply choose not to use them.
If they were so much of a problem then I am sure they wouldn't actually sell very many.
if you seen how much interference these devices made to the radio spectrum you might agree with me. huge chunks of the short wave section can not be heard ifs one of your neighbour was to use one of these.
this link might be worth a read, what happens when it starts interfering with the emergency services?
i'm not having a pop at you, but people don't realise the damage these things can do to radio, not just amateur radio but HIFI amps too

thealarman

Oct 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I suppose it is a good thing that your system functions without interference.

I examined the amazon link, and the description from TP-Link on how it works. It will use the house internal power wiring to communicate from downstairs to upstairs.

The funny aspect here, is that you mentioned that your sound equipment is on a different spur. The upstairs and downstairs are on different ring mains also, and yet the power line adapter works.

I have seen many statements of peoples experience where they say that their spur has reduced the RF noise affecting their equipment, even though the spur, or other, is still connected to the mains fuse panel in the best case.

If the power line adapters can reach from top to bottom, or vice versa, in a house, then a spur will make no difference. The power of imagination is absolutely amazing.

Regards,
Shadders.

the problem is that the signal is sent around the house wiring, these cables were never designed for rf, there is no screen around these cables, so the wiring in your house becomes a transmitting antenna that can leak into adjacent properties and sometimes much further.

changing the subject slightly,i know its not HIFI related but i had a really bad issue on VHF, loads of interference from about 120mhz to 150mhz, this part of the spectrum includes the aircraft band. I live on the flight path for Birmingham airport. so i ended up reporting the problem to ofcom. they traced the problem to a house 2 streets away, they had a cheap switch mode power supply powering there CCTV cameras. can you imagine the problems this could have caused to incoming aircraft. psu changed, problem solved

Reactions: shadders

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts