Owners of iPod Touch and Squeezebox setup......help

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I have this setup with a squeezebox receiver and a NAS with SB server installed. It's been working fine since purchase. I do however have an issue which has been bugging me for a while.

All my music is stored on a NAS and it's not on 24/7. If I turn the SB receiver into standby (no light) using the iPod touch before turning off the NAS, when the NAS is then turned off the SB receiver shows a blue light (trying to connect to music server) Then when I turn the NAS on again I have to physically unplug the mains connection from the SB receiver and connect it again for the SB to restart its connection routine. If I don't, the blue light will remain.

Keep unplugging the mains from the SB is frustrating. Does everyone else with this setup perform this same procedure? If I had a Squeezebox controller would I need to continue with this routine or does the controller somehow tell the SB receiver to restart the connection routine? What about other SB products (SB3, Boom, Radio, Touch) surely you don't have to do what I am doing currently!

Your comments would be appreciated.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I have a SB3, connected wirelessly to a very slow PC, which isn't on 24/7

If I put the SB3 on standby before turing off the PC the SB3 shows the time and date screensaver. If I then turn off the PC the SB3 screen shows a message saying something like 'cannot find music server' and tries to re-connect for a few mins (which is the same as the blue light you mention), afterwhich it gives up and goes blank.

If I then turn on the PC the SB3 takes ages to re-connect. The reason for this is that the PC is very slow at booting up and starting Squeeze Server (its a 533Mhz PC with 256MB RAM!) - could it be your NAS taking ages?. Have you tried to wait, say 5 mins, after you turn your NAS on to see if the SB eventually connects?

I get around the slow boot up by putting the PC into Standby, from which it is quick to wake up.

Finally - you can force the SB to run the connection set up by holding down the 'left' button on the remote for 4 seconds, but not sure about your particular SB, this removes the need to unplug the SB.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Binman:

Finally - you can force the SB to run the connection set up by holding down the 'left' button on the remote for 4 seconds, but not sure about your particular SB, this removes the need to unplug the SB.

I guess this means unless you have an official remote/controller you can't run the connection procedure without turning the bloody thing off and on at the mains
emotion-12.gif

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Zarn_Smith:

Hi mattjax05,

I have the same problem as you and have never found a way around it.

Shame, it's the only annoying thing, I guess the work around is to buy the controller...that must work. Don't think the SB receiver is infrared therefore not any old official squeezebox remote will do!

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
On my SB3, I believe that holding down the power button on the remote for a few seconds while pointing it at the squeezebox forces it to do a soft reset. which makes it restart the connection process. Its been a long while since I've had any problems with it though so haven't done it for a long while. Presumably the controller lets you do a similar thing to the receiver.

A

Anonymous

I also have this problem. I have been trying to figure it out for awhile. No success :-/

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Right, I have just read on the iPeng help section that iPeng supports mysqueezebox.com and will move players of your choice from your current server i.e NAS to the online server i.e mysqueezebox.com. I have tried this on iPeng, selected my player to move accross and although iPeng changes the server I still need to uplug my player from the mains to reset it so it connects to the new server. Surely this is wrong as iPeng would not promote 'changing servers' if you had to do this??? I might fire an email accross to iPeng support.

A

Anonymous

Why not just leave NAS on 24/7? Some of the fanless NAS only use a few watts if greenness is the issue.

Networks really don't like being powered up and down unless done in a certain sequence so that all the necessary 'handshaking' cna take place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts