Overblown, attacking sound

matthewpiano

Is it just me or is there a lot of hi-fi out there that completely overstates the scale and attack of music to the point where it takes on a false level of 'excitement' that you just don't hear in a live concert situation? I'm thinking primarily in relation to classical music and big orchestral works but I suppose it could be applied to a whole swathe of styles. Interested in other members thoughts!

T

the record spot

I'd be inclined to agree based on what I've heard - the current trend seems to err towards a brighter and more pronounced sound which emphaises certain elements in the dynamic range. Not always a good thing if - as seems to be the case with many of the posts on here - too many of the main components in the system are of the same bouquet. One of the reasons I like the neutrality of the Marantz CDP but the colour of the Sansui.

There's some great stuff out there for sure, the Leema Pulse for instance, but system matching appears to be a trickier ask than when I got my first system (from my dear old dad, now sadly deaparted this life).

matthewpiano

Just a sense that the general fashion seems to be for all-out drive, pace, and attack to the point where, in some respects, music sounds larger than life. So much hi-fi seems to lack neutrality - or 'naturalness' if that makes sense!

matthewpiano

idc:Is this to do with actual kit or is it down to the Loudness War and recording standards?

Very few of the better classical labels get involved with the loudness war so it must be the kit. Labels like Hyperion, Chandos, and Naxos are recording to the same high standards they always have.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:There's some great stuff out there for sure, the Leema Pulse for instance, but system matching appears to be a trickier ask than when I got my first system (from my dear old dad, now sadly deaparted this life).

Thats because it was already done for you! [:0]

A

Anonymous

What have you heard that makes you feel this?

I think a lot of budget speakers have a mid-forward balance that, for example, makes singers sound like they're infront of the speakers rather than with the rest of the sound. For example, the B&W 685 & MA RS range. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it's not necessarily a good thing.

I also thought that Dynaudio speakers sounded too attacking and therefore unnatural. That particular day I compared the Sonus Faber (not forward), Dynaudio (forward), Nain nSat (forward), MA RS1 (forward) and Wilson Benesch Square 2 (not forward). Dunno, none of this is black and white and I suspect some different amps/sources could change things. Oh, and the Rega RS5 (not forward).

A

Anonymous

a little similar to the tvs in stores , all set to dynamic to catch the buyers attention ..

but at least you can turn tvs to another setting ..

matthewpiano

igglebert:What have you heard that makes you feel this?

I think a lot of budget speakers have a mid-forward balance that, for example, makes singers sound like they're infront of the speakers rather than with the rest of the sound. For example, the B&W 685 & MA RS range. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it's not necessarily a good thing.

I also thought that Dynaudio speakers sounded too attacking and therefore unnatural. That particular day I compared the Sonus Faber (not forward), Dynaudio (forward), Nain nSat (forward), MA RS1 (forward) and Wilson Benesch Square 2 (not forward). Dunno, none of this is black and white and I suspect some different amps/sources could change things.

Been listening to the PM6003 again, MS Aviano 1s, NAD kit - quite a few things actually. The PM6003 has surprised me. There are still things I like very much about it but it is one hell of a big and attacking sounding amp and can get a bit too much at times!

Of the stuff that seems to get it right I'd say Rega, Yamaha, and Arcam all seem to find different ways of producing a more natural sound. In terms of small, budget speakers the Diamond 9.1s seem very hard to beat in this respect.

idc

Certainly headphones have a far greater dynamic now than they did back in the 1970s. 1970s headphones, IME do not do bass like thye do now.

Matthew, if this is you gearing up to another kit change, can I suggest you go retro and 1970s. You will save yourself a fortune and get yourself lots of lovely lushious midrange.

A

Anonymous

the pm6003 is certainly dynamic imo , just been listening to "streetlife serenader" by billy joel , great tune , goes from soft piano to full on cresendo , sounds very good , very punchy , the drums sound brilliant , cant say im getting tired of it , yet
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Can,t say i,ve noticed anything with Sugden and Spendor, maybe it,s down to recording standards.

matthewpiano

johnnyjazz:Can,t say i,ve noticed anything with Sugden and Spendor, maybe it,s down to recording standards.

I don't imagine you would notice it with the quality of hi-fi you have. Sugden and Spendor are both VERY musical brands IMO and rather a different proposition to cheaper budget gear. You have extremely good hi-fi!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Listen to the Marantz PM6003 with a pair of Dali speakers (Lektor, Ikon) and it sounds wonderfully natural. It also has to do with the speakers and what your personal taste is.

Rotel has a bit too much attack though. The RA-04 sounds more relaxing and musical than the new SE version IMO.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:johnnyjazz:Can,t say i,ve noticed anything with Sugden and Spendor, maybe it,s down to recording standards. I don't imagine you would notice it with the quality of hi-fi you have. Sugden and Spendor are both VERY musical brands IMO and rather a different proposition to cheaper budget gear. You have extremely good hi-fi! Sorry matthew, i thought you meant exagerated tonality in all makes and genres, if you mean too much detail, in your face, on certain full and large soundstage recordings then i still think it may be down to the standard of the recording. Thanks for your kind words on my choice of hi-fi, yes i am very pleased with the musicality and simplicity of the sound but i would not class it as extremely good
emotion-8.gif

matthewpiano:Is it just me or is there a lot of hi-fi out there that completely overstates the scale and attack of music to the point where it takes on a false level of 'excitement' that you just don't hear in a live concert situation? I'm thinking primarily in relation to classical music and big orchestral works but I suppose it could be applied to a whole swathe of styles. Interested in other members thoughts!

Viva La A65+...LOL

Surely it's about perfect system matching. I truely believe that synergy is not just about tonal qualities but about mixing attacking components with laid-back ones. This maybe "spit in your eye" obvious comment, but there is something, I believe, to be said about the collective whole rather than individual items. I've been banging on about this for ages on the forum, usually received with an element of tactful derision.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts