Over ear headphones with no leakage under £100

jam_man

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I had Philips SHL5905FB previously which after a few years the ear pad covers basically just rotted away. Loved them though and I used to actually put them on just to drown out annoying passengers at times without even playing any music, they were

I bought the SHP8000 would be pretty much a like for like replacement but have been pretty disappointed. I read they were meant to be closed headphones but Im guessing they are semi closed. Sound wise they are ok, when listening at home I was satisfied with them, but the problem is that they dont seem to isolate the outside sound very well. So the first time I was on a train I could hear far too much of the outside noise and on a tube train they were basically rubbish. They dont seem to clamp on like my old ones did, they feel like they are sliding around and just lightly resting on my head instead

Anyone able to recommend some decent over the ear headphones that I can wear safe in the knowledge I can hear the music without my fellow passengers annoying me, or me annoying them.

Id prefer to spend around £60 which is what Ive paid for both sets, but I know the SHL5905FB were originally £100 although £50 when I bought them.

No need for wireless, noise cancellation would be nice.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
jam_man said:
I had Philips SHL5905FB previously which after a few years the ear pad covers basically just rotted away. Loved them though and I used to actually put them on just to drown out annoying passengers at times without even playing any music, they were

I bought the SHP8000 would be pretty much a like for like replacement but have been pretty disappointed. I read they were meant to be closed headphones but Im guessing they are semi closed. Sound wise they are ok, when listening at home I was satisfied with them, but the problem is that they dont seem to isolate the outside sound very well. So the first time I was on a train I could hear far too much of the outside noise and on a tube train they were basically rubbish. They dont seem to clamp on like my old ones did, they feel like they are sliding around and just lightly resting on my head instead

Anyone able to recommend some decent over the ear headphones that I can wear safe in the knowledge I can hear the music without my fellow passengers annoying me, or me annoying them.

Id prefer to spend around £60 which is what Ive paid for both sets, but I know the SHL5905FB were originally £100 although £50 when I bought them.

On the leakage issue, a moderate amount of leakage should not be an issue on noisy public commuter transport. I mention it only because you specified no leakage.

jam_man

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
dalethorn said:
jam_man said:

On the leakage issue, a moderate amount of leakage should not be an issue on noisy public commuter transport. I mention it only because you specified no leakage.
The trains I get are very quiet (C2C Essex). The tube not so quiet lol. Problem is I can hear people next to me talking and if I can hear them they can hear my music, especially as I have to play it loud to drown them out. My old Philips were excellent, I could wear them with no music playing to drown people out if need be, the isolation on these new ones is rubbish, they are getting ebayed. Looking at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50X

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just cos you hear them talk does not mean they can hear your music designed for listening one inch or less from your ear.

But anyway Sony mdr-zx770bt seem to have a good seal around the head. They might do the trick, but don't buy without trying

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Leif said:
I like my AKG K450, £30 from Richer Sounds. Very good for the price. The K451 is worth checking out.

I have akg k451, probably the same as the 450s, they are excellent little on ears, but I think by their very design, they do leak out sound

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts