Ortofon stylus brush

matthewpiano

Just a recommendation from me. Dust and dirt building up on the stylus has bugged my vinyl replay for some time so I ordered one of these little Ortofon brushes from Analogue Seduction (who were excellent as ever). The brush is very very simple but it works brilliantly at removing those irritating bits of muck that usually seem awkward. A very cheap upgrade!

A

Anonymous

I have just ordered one of these based on your recommendation
emotion-21.gif
I always get a slight build up of dust on the stylus after a short time of playing even though I have a carbon brush for the records. Might be time for a new brush though as it was only a cheap one. Any recommendations for one of those?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I've been using a freebie I got with a Denon cartridge but this just removes fluff, the Ortofon seems to have slightly stiffer bristles to remove deposits on the stylus itself, is that right?

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
just got shown one of these this week when looking at a gyro se, saw your post, so ordered one and the knosti cleaner. in for a penny etc. only cleaned 3 lps so far. one sounded the same as the night before, the second had the stylus drag loads of muck out of a clean looking disc (which must be good) and the third, well I think that discs a bit knackered but I thought on one track I could hear something in the music that I'd never noticed in the 30 odd years I'd had this lp from 2nd hand. Overall I felt i was hearing more bass( but maybe I havent played these albums since re-arranging the lounge)and less noise. Just having a vinyl burst cos I'm thinking of a new TT & one dealer has recommended the Gyro SE using my current P2 arm & cart to keep the price down. Sometimes you forget how good the old vinyl can sound.

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully mine will arrive today from Analogue Seduction together with Muddy Waters folk singer on 200g vinyl.

My wife is out tonight so I am indulging myself with a vinyl night.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I also have one on order from Audio Seduction ( someone should be getting some commission from them ) which I am hoping will arrive tomorrow . Along with some other record cleaning goodies .

My wife is away for the week so there is just me and the kids . Trying to see who can play their music the loudest . I win ! For this week I have hardly played any CDs , it has been vinyl all the way .

Excuse me while I return to Deep Purple's Fireball ,

Nick

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
DistortedVision:I have one of those Ortofon brushes - came with my Kontrapunkt B cartridge.

I would strongly recommend Clearaudio Elixir of Sound cleaning fluid and Onzow Zerodust which I found is far more effective than using a brush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcjjT1MExg

We (and ortofon) strongly recommend the use of NO fluids or gels on your stylus what so ever. I've lost count of the number of corroded cantilevers and stylus assemblies that we've seen due to the use of fluids. A brush should be all that is needed.

A

Anonymous

I use an onzow but I'm damn certain it's the same stuff that those window crawling sticky toys are made of . Y'n'know the tacky ones kids throw on a window and they flop their way down .
You got a link for this brush or have i overlooked it ?
Or is it the litle round handled thing that came with my orto ?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Bought one myself also and it's certainly made a difference! Couldn't believe the amount of rubbish it removed from the stylus, although shouldn't be too surprised as it has done a few rounds with unwashed 2nd-hand records in the past (before I invested in the good old Norsti).

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've also ordered one, as a huge lump of crud has accumulated on my 2m Blue and no amount of gentle persuasion can shift it (using a soft stylus brush).

Has anyone experienced this as it's stopping me from playing vinyl as it's causing serious distortion and if so did the Ortofon brush sort it.

Looking for solace....my brush is unlikely to arrive until Tuesday or Wednesday.
emotion-12.gif

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
My 2m blue came with one of those brushes but for stubborn dirt nothing beats the magic eraser. I use it every so often, dipping the stylus ( not the cantalever! ) into a small thin piece of stuck to a 2p coin. A quick lower and raise with the cue lever and the stylus is spotless.

After every play i use the afore mentioned sticky hands with the same method to get rid of fluff.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, Matthew gives me hope! I've tried the magic eraser and it's not shifting, I'm reluctant to put any type of chemical on it as per Henley's advice.

Keeping my fingers crossed it gets sorted as the stylus is only 6 weeks old and I'm annoyed as all my records are cleaned thoroughly with the Knosti.

A

Anonymous

Probably wise unless you know exactly what you're doing I suppose;- certainly wouldn't want to put anything acidic or alkali on it and wouldn't want to put anything that would leave a residue on the tip. Good luck!

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:I suspect that the Knosti cleaning fluid leaves some residue on the LP surface, even after drying. This is where my issues seem to have stemmed from.

I've had this problem when using the original Knosti fluid, but until this weekend, my own brew hasn't stuck to the stylus, but the last lot of cleaning 2nd hand LP's which didn't appear that dirty appear to have clogged up the stylus a treat.

Fingers crossed it will all be good after the Ortofon brush as it's bugging me as I want to listen to the new LP's and test my new Graham Slee Era Gold v phono stage.

Mainly I'm looking for reassurance that the crud will come off and I can relax.

Reading between the lines Matthew, it appears you have yours (crud) under control.

Steve

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Having had the crud problem with the Knosti myself im wondering if the cleaning would improve if after the isopropyl clean, a second bath in a detergent based cleaner ( l art du son ,Kieth monks or the Mint cleaner for example) and then a rinse in purified water would reap better benefits.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've now received my Stylus Brush which with a little help from magic eraser de-crudded (TM) the stylus
emotion-2.gif

I've also tried kusum65's suggestion and given the newest dirty LP's a clean, followed by a rinse in distilled water with a touch of rinse aid, this had cleared up the residue, with no crud on the stylus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts