Ortofon 2M Red/Blue vs Grado cartridges

kapuxino

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade the cartrige of my Rega RP1 in the near future. Right now it has the Ortofon OM 5E that comes by default, and it sounds OK, but I'm looking for something better.

I've read great things of the the Ortofon 2M Red and Blue cartriges. Probably the Blue is a bit excesive for my TT, but if there is a significant improvement I'd go that route.

The Grado Red1/Blue1 and Gold1/Silver also seems interesting, but I'm not sure how well they would pair with the RP1.

I'm very interest in hearing opinions and recomendations. And if I'm lucky enough maybe someone already made a comparison of the two brands/series on the RP1 :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about the flippant comment!

I had an RP1 fantastic deck and it got me hooked on vinyl! I thought about upgrading the cartridge but its only a small part of the story and the expense in cart alone wouldn't really give you that much of an upgrade! Well that's what I was advised - you can only take an RP1 so far......

Difference between an RP1 and RP3 is significant! Better platter, tonearm, plinth bracing, interconnect, and motor not forgetting the Elys 2.

My advice save up for an RP3

kapuxino

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Steve!

The RP1 is a (recent) gift from my girlfriend, so changing it is not an option. I'm actually satisfied with it, knowing better sound exists from a better TT, but I'd like to try to maximize the performance of the RP1 :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Excellent, if your enjoying it then thats all that matters!

Like I said its cracking deck and I would think the 2M Red would be perfect and the stylus is replacable!

Buys some more records but watch out its addictive and you will soon want to upgrade!

PS You will some VTA spacers for the 2M Red, so get your local Rega dealer to do it for you!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
kapuxino said:

The RP1 is a (recent) gift from my girlfriend, so changing it is not an option. I'm actually satisfied with it, knowing better sound exists from a better TT, but I'd like to try to maximize the performance of the RP1 :)

Been there, other half bought me an audio prezzie and I made the mistake of selling it.........not worth the hassle. Another option is the RP1 performance pack :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
kapuxino said:

Been there, other half bought me an audio prezzie and I made the mistake of selling it.........not worth the hassle. Another option is the RP1 performance pack :)

oh yeah forgot about the performance pack!

not sure what improvemnet from a mat & belt would make though

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
stevebrock said:
mitch65 said:
kapuxino said:

oh yeah forgot about the performance pack!

not sure what improvemnet from a mat & belt would make though

TBH me neither, I have a feeling they would be subtle but that could be the cynic in me ;)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I replaced the black drive belt on my old Planar 3 with a white one, and it definitely sounded better, so you could just try doing that, without buying the full pack. I haven't tried changing the mat, so can't comment on that.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
I replaced the black drive belt on my old Planar 3 with a white one, and it definitely sounded better, so you could just try doing that, without buying the full pack. I haven't tried changing the mat, so can't comment on that.

ooh might try a white belt on my RP3 then!

TRENDING THREADS