Optoma HD33.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm finally getting my first projector, after procrastinating about it for over 5 years!Finally, it seems the quality has jumped up and the prices have tumbled, so i'm going in!

I'm eying up the Optoma HD33. Very good online reviews, very good price and I like the RF glasses. Does anyone on here have one? and, if so, how have you found it?

Oh, and i'm wondering what size picture i'd get out of it, at a distance of 4m from lens to screen. I don't know whether to get the 106" or the 120" screen.

Thanks all,

Bretty

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I don't have one but I installed one a couple of months ago. We used a 120 inch screen and I think we had it about 5 meters back (maybe a little more)

picture quality was great and the 3d worked well if you like that kind of thing.

i will probably get one when I upgrade my optima next year.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
At 4m, you'll need to find out how big the picture is likely to be. I would try and limit your screen to about 6 or 7 feet in order to preserve picture quality - above that will reveal shortcomings in projectors like the HD33. Stick to that screen size, and you'll see a great picture.

You'll also need to take not account your room - are there a lot of white or light walls to reflect light back onto the screen? Are you able to block out external light fully? Can anything be done about these things? If not, a suitable screen will be needed to make the most of the projector's contrast ratio.

if you want to project pictures of nine or ten feet or more, I would recommend the likes of the Sony HW30 or the Optoma HD83.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, Dave. Ok, so i'll defo stick to the106" screen then. On the light front, i'm sorted. I've already installed blackout blinds, in anticipation of the projector.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Well, aint that nifty? I just came across this website: Projector central.com . You put in the make and model of your projector, the distance from lens to screen and it tells you the size of the projected image. The HD33 prduces a 111" image from 4m.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I too am planing on finally dipping my toe into the world of home projection with a very simular viewing distance. I had a short list of the HD33 and the Epson 6000 and was planing on a 92" screen but after having a demo of both PJ's I personally found that the Optoma had quite poor blacks and poor shadow detail whilst the Epson was IMHO just too bright even in its ECO mode to be used in a darkened room, the Epson also displayed balck as more of a dark grey so its back to the drawing board for me in my choice of PJ.

I might be better off waiting for a clearance deal on either a JVC X30 or Panasonic 5000 as I'm presuming that these more expensive models will have both better blacks and contrast?:quest:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts