Options for 2.1 amplifier/receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there New user here, and I just wanted to pick everyone's brains. I'm looking for an amplifier to go with my LCD TV, but I'm struggling to find anything that ticks all the right boxes. - I already have two speakers, so a 2.1 amplifier rather than a whole system that comes with speakers - Something small would be nice - I want to connect a PS3, an Apple TV, and an as-yet-unknown third device, ideally all via HDMI or component - A built in DVD player would be useful, but not essential - Ditto upscaling - Less than £500 Basically, I want a box that handles the audio from all of those sources. I saw the Onkyo DS-501 that was reviewed on here recently, but it only has 1 HDMI port. Is there anything else out there similar that has three? Cheers G

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not that I know of - strangely manufacturers of such systems seem to think people just want simple one-box solutions, not something into which they can connect a whole load of other clobber.

A

Anonymous

You could just go for an AV reciever and DVD e.g - Onkyo sr505 (£250) and Denon 1940 (£250). Should tick all your boxes and you can add more speakers later as well. One problem tho, it doesn't fit your small requirement - think you'll have to compromise or save for something like the Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 (£1500)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies.

I would have thought there would be quite a lot of demand for something like this - lots of people have a few devices but don't want the hassle, or don't have the room size, for a surround sound system.

So, will a low end 5.1 or 7.1 amplifier be happy if it's only connected to two speakers? And, are there any slim ones! I've looked at a few examples, and they all seem to be err, substantial in the size department.

A

Anonymous

Can't think of any other than the Arcam Solo. They tend to be large to house all extra connections on the back as well as all the internal amplifiers. And yes they can cope fine with just two speakers.

A

Anonymous

Is the Cambridge Audio 540R any good for what I want if i get a 5.1 system instead? Don't hear much about the company on here, but it has some good reviews elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

Yeah cambridge are pretty decent the 340R (£270) and 540Rv3 (£350) are both good with film and music, a bit slimmer than most as well

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts