Optical Cable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Start my first post of with a real dumb question (please dont laugh!).

Just bought the Pioneer VSX-917V 7.1 reciever:
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/42/98/405/VSX-917V-S/index.html

It has a couple of 'assignable' optical inputs. If I were to say buy a CD player that had an optical out, would I be able to connect the two with optical cable instead of the usual red/white analog cable? Or is optical only for things like recording CD to MD etc.

Sorry for my ignorance, but we all gotta start somewhere!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help!

By the way, I just noticed 'Denon DCD-700AE' in your signature. This is the CD player I am looking to buy. What's it like?

Cheers

Rob

A

Anonymous

yes the optical can be used instead of the red white (analogue) connections. it just means that the signal is output as digital rather than analogue (has not been converted). The CD digital to analogue converter will probably give better sound quality than the converter on the receiver. I recommend that you stick to the analogue connections for best sound quality.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I love it! I've mentioned before in other posts that before the Denon I had the Pioneer PD-D6-J for a few hours (it was the wrong colour). The Pioneer is about £100-£150 dearer than the Denon but I would say that there was hardly any difference in the two.

A

Anonymous

Awesome. Well I've just sold my Sony all-in-one home theatre to a friend so I'll be ordering it soon!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
However, amplifying it using a receiver will not give you anywhere near the best results. My stereo amp is excellent but a more modest amp £150-£200 will be better than using your AV receiver instead.

A

Anonymous

Oh dear, sorry but I'm going to sound really dumb now.

I don't quite understand, could you explain?

Thanks for this, it must be rather annoying having to explain simple things over and over. I owe you a
emotion-22.gif

A

Anonymous

Wait a moment, I think I see where you're coming from.

What you are saying is that for optimal sound quality it would be better to use a stereo amplifier instead of a 7.1 reciever.

Sorry I was getting confused for a moment then and thinking you meant amplify the signal before it reached the receiver. (Im new to this!)

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
Would analogue connecters really be better than connecting via a digital source on compatable units?
[quote user="Cooney"]
yes the optical can be used instead of the red white (analogue) connections. it just means that the signal is output as digital rather than analogue (has not been converted). The CD digital to analogue converter will probably give better sound quality than the converter on the receiver. I recommend that you stick to the analogue connections for best sound quality.

[/quote]

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="belker"]Would analogue connecters really be better than connecting via a digital source on compatable units?[/quote]
It depends on the quality of the DAC (digital to analogue converter) in the CD player and the amp. In most cases, a decent CD player will have a better DAC than an amp (especially an AV receiver). If you've got both cables available though, as always, your best bet is to try it and see which you prefer!