Oppo UDP-203 4K player first look - will support Dolby Vision

jjbomber

bigboss said:
AV forums has published a first look report of the Oppo. They think it'll cost £599. Interestingly, since the chip is custom made, it should be able to support Dolby Vision by means of a firmware update.

I'll sit out and wait for the 205 Darbee edition. I use the 105 almost exclusively for streaming and DAC duties, so I hope we get the full fat version, though we are probably looking at £1,500.

D

Deleted member 2457

Interesting, I am still not sure whether I will buy it or not tho. I told myself I was done with 4K and will probably stick by that decision. I can't see this being any better than the Samsung K8500 or the Panasonic ub900.

D

Deleted member 2457

I have seen Dolby Vision on my TV in John Lewis, it just looks like HDR on the demo clip. They demo one after the other. Nope, I am sticking to my trusty Pioneer 71 Blu Ray player, over 9 years old and still going strong.

abacus

The Oppo is a universal player, whereas the Samsung and Panasonic are not, the build quality should also be as good if not better than the Panasonic, plus after a firmware update it should support DV Dolby Vision.

Where it may also win over the Samsung & Panasonic, is if their newly designed video chip has better algorithms for upscaling SD to 4K, which is always a big ask.

The Samsung’s main problem is that it feels cheap, looks cheap and is noisy compared to the Panasonic (And presumably the Oppo), so not something you will want to show off to your pals, (They probably have a better built £50 DVD player on their shelf) but as it will most likely be shoved in a cabinet it’s a good way to save money.

As to Darbee, I am afraid it’s one of those Marmite technology’s, so it’s good that you will probably be given an option with 2 different players.

I think it’s safe to say that 2017 will be when 4K HDR comes of age with plenty of TV’s, Projectors and Players becoming available at reasonable prices.

Bill

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think I would be buying the cheaper version, cause I got my own dac to convert the music side of things. All the same, I will be seating back & see what happens with both versions of the Oppo & other players.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
No release date or price in the US yet. I'll let you know if / when I find out.

Photos on other websites show 2 x HDMIs (presumably so one can feed a receiver and the other be routed directly to a 4K TV as with the Samsung and Panasonic units), twin USBs (hopefully, as far as I am concerned, allowing audio and movie streaming from an external hard disk), an ethernet socket (good for firmware updates and who knows what else), co-axial and optical digital audio outputs (presumably for feeding audio to your "proper stereo"), 7.1 analogue audio (for those whose receivers don't support the newer codecs or for feeding into a "high end" receiver, maybe directly into a 7-channel power amp (?) ), a 12 volt trigger and an RS-232. And it has wifi for those who can't or won't hard wire it into their home network.

And its assembled in China :-(

jjbomber

Benedict_Arnold said:
twin USBs (hopefully, as far as I am concerned, allowing audio and movie streaming from an external hard disk), . And it has wifi for those who can't or won't hard wire it into their home network.

One USB is for the wi-fi dongle. It is the best in the business. There is no need for an ethernet connection, unless you love cables. You can stream straight from the NAS.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
twin USBs (hopefully, as far as I am concerned, allowing audio and movie streaming from an external hard disk), . And it has wifi for those who can't or won't hard wire it into their home network.

One USB is for the wi-fi dongle. It is the best in the business. There is no need for an ethernet connection, unless you love cables. You can stream straight from the NAS.

I believe that the wifi is now integrated and does not require a dongle (interview on the Audioholics Facebook site and the AV Forums article).

jjbomber

VoodooDoctor said:
I believe that the wifi is now integrated and does not require a dongle (interview on the Audioholics Facebook site and the AV Forums article).

We won't know for definite for 2-4 months yet when it launches. For example, AVForums say it will support Dolby Vision but Oppo themselves say it won't at launch. but it may be added as a firmware download at a later date.

Either way, I want one!

jjbomber said:
AVForums say it will support Dolby Vision but Oppo themselves say it won't at launch. but it may be added as a firmware download at a later date.

AV Forums have also given the reason for that:
"Oppo hopes to add this new feature via a firmware update before the end of the year, although the time frame is dependent on certification from Dolby, which is outside Oppo’s control."

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Was thinking I would treat myself to the UB900 until I saw this, the thought of owning an Oppo 4K spinner is tempting especially if the price point is £500-600. Also a lot of talk on holding out for a 205 darbee but anyone got experience of Darbee and thoughts on whether the 203 could be paired with a stand alone darbee box when it comes out?

Alsone

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Samd said:
Article link below for those not yet seen.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/oppo-udp-203-review

Yeah I just read that one.

Pity they only stated it's using a special laser set up for fast disc loading without saying how fast.

If anyone has an account over there, maybe they could ask the question. The one thing that would stop me byuying the Panasonic / Samsung offerings are the reported long loading times.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts