Oppo BDP-83 has arrived in my house.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: Another reason to wait for an official release!

No problems for me with it so far, but it's on the beta firmware, which has been made official on 21/07/09 - NEW FIRMWARE. Unlike the UK release AVR600 which behaves like it's been in a Mummy movie and had a load of scarab beetles let loose in it!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:
I ask this as I have managed to get my Samsung PS-50P96FD within 3DE accross the 0-100IRE scale using colorHCFR (software that comes with the spyder is pants!) but on trying to calibrate a friends Sony LCD could not get anywhere near achieveing a nera perfect greyscale.

The 'screen mode' can make quite a difference when calibrating DJ

MOVIE would be different to GAME and USER as an example

'usually' its EITHER movie OR user which i the best setting but all tvs are different so im talking generally

My dads Pioneers PURE mode had to be set completely different to its USER one

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Will Harris:Other forums have noted this in many posts and it is apparently going to recieve a fix via firmware. Only happens on PAL DVDs for some reason.

So the modified US Oppo doesn't play UK DVDs properly? Another reason to wait for an official release!

We'll see what we can find out re that firmware fix, as well as update on European model.

I was haggling with a guy on ebay until I found that out and also the realisation I couldnt fit my IEC mains cable to it so im also waiting

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:[
until I found that out and also the realisation I couldnt fit my IEC mains cable to it so im also waiting

Out of interest what was/is the issue with the mains cable ?

Dasp

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
das:aliEnRIK:[
until I found that out and also the realisation I couldnt fit my IEC mains cable to it so im also waiting

Dasp

Its an american type IEC, obviously I use a standard european IEC connector

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:das:aliEnRIK:[

Dasp

By European do you mean IEC C13 ?

It has an IEC C18 chassis inlet and this will accept a IEC C17 or IEC C13 connector. It is also bears the appropriate label symbol (including Europe) for a double insulation appliance i.e. designed not to require an external earth.

Dasp

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
das:aliEnRIK:das:aliEnRIK:[

Dasp

By European do you mean IEC C13 ?

It has an IEC C18 chassis inlet and this will accept a IEC C17 or IEC C13 connector. It is also bears the appropriate label symbol (including Europe) for a double insulation appliance i.e. designed not to require an external earth.

Dasp

Then I stand corrected. The 'yank' clearly didnt know what he was talking about

Still doesnt change me waiting for the euro version though as I really DONT like firmware updates

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

Still doesnt change me waiting for the euro version though as I really DONT like firmware updates

Nothing wrong with exercising personal choice.

I think firmware updates are a fact of life with Blu-ray players. Certainly every player I've used to date has required firmware updates to fix issues or introduce features and all of those were Euro models. I'd be very surprised if any Blu-ray player didn't require firmware updates to continue to correct issues with particular titles or user reported issues. Some even shipped (LX91) missing features such DTS HD MA decoding until several months after release.

Dasp

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
das:aliEnRIK:

I think firmware updates are a fact of life with Blu-ray players. Certainly every player I've used to date has required firmware updates to fix issues or introduce features and all of those were Euro models. I'd be very surprised if any Blu-ray player didn't require firmware updates to continue to correct issues with particular titles or user reported issues. Some even shipped (LX91) missing features such DTS HD MA decoding until several months after release.

Dasp

Sadly I think Dasp isn't wrong here- and it ain't just Blu-ray decks either.

It appears that the 1st company who thought it would be great to address issues in the field by allowing customers to download firmware updates to provide better functionality unknowingly opened up a can of worms that will never get closed again. In our internet connected lives we lead now it seems we may never again see new products that aren't firmware upgradeable and, as a consequence, we will see it become more acceptable for manufacturers to release to market "unfinished" products (see pete321's thread on his Arcam AVR600).

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
das:aliEnRIK:

Dasp

The reason im concerned with updating the firmware is because of bad experiences ive had. Ive updated 4 routers firmware for example and a netgear I had last year completely died on me after the update. Once the firmware becomes corrupted then its DEAD to the user. The last thing id want to do is spend 5 or 6 hundred quid on a bluray player, find it needs an update then it dies on me because of said update.

Thats not to say its a regular occurence, but people should be aware that there ARE dangers with every single update they attempt

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
So the modified US Oppo doesn't play UK DVDs properly? Another reason to wait for an official release!

We'll see what we can find out re that firmware fix, as well as update on European model.

Just to confirm the latest beta release of the US firmware (beta 0722) is being tested re a resolution to the reported PAL active image alignment issue exhibited on the US player. A future official firmware release should contain this fix together with other specific features/changes being trialed in the beta software. This beta version is not a suitable replacement for the official release as it is intended to test specific changes/features only according to Oppo.

Dasp

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
This issue the US OPPO is having with PAL DVDs is not too suprising as I have family in the states and from listening to them most US players have certain issues with PAL encoded discs, some players not exceptin PAL at all.

Personally I would wait for a propper UK/European model before making a decision to by one.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:

This issue the US OPPO is having with PAL DVDs is not too suprising as I have family in the states and from listening to them most US players have certain issues with PAL encoded discs, some players not exceptin PAL at all.

Personally I would wait for a propper UK/European model before making a decision to by one.

Mine doesn't appear to be having any problems with PAL DVD's, it's set to source direct and the AVR600 upscales it to 1080p.

A

Anonymous

pete321:
Mine doesn't appear to be having any problems with PAL DVD's, it's set to source direct and the AVR600 upscales it to 1080p.

Source direct avoids the ABT processing issue that causes the image shift. It really isn't a big issue and Oppo has shown the problem is solved in the latest beta firmware. What's perhaps more concerning is many official euro Blu-ray player have relatively poor PAL deinterlacing performance.

I just noticed Lexicon recently announced the BD-30 Blu-ray player and it appears to be based on the Oppo. It has an aluminum front panel but the spec and font/back layout is to too close to be coincidence IMO. Estimated price is $3000+.

Dasp

A

Anonymous

Upgrade to the latest Oppo firmware. Unbelievably easy to do. Download, unzip onto memory stick. Shove in the front of the Oppo and click yes on screen. That's it. Couldn't be easier. Roll back if you need to is the same, download, unzip, store, plug in, and you're done.

My AVR600 is buggy and bugging me. Much more of a problem machine than the Oppo and WHF gave it 5stars. Firmware upgrades and a bit of the odd bug are not reasons to wait or to put down a product like the Oppo. But you might bash Arcam over the head and try and establish when they are going to fix their AVR600 firmware. Scandalous releasing it with so many flaws.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:My AVR600 is buggy and bugging me. Much more of a problem machine than the Oppo and WHF gave it 5stars. Scandalous releasing it with so many flaws.

I agree Will, I'm getting totally fed up with it. I spoken to the dealer and agreed that if the next firmware isn't available within the next week or so, I'm getting a refund, plus I'll still get a refund if 1.9 doesn't fix the bugs. I must admit I not holding out much hope as I bought a machine with 1.8 installed as that was supposed to fix the problems!

With regard to the rating, well there's probably nothing out there to beat it with music, but that's no good if it's not working properly 100% of the time given it's price. I think WHF should do the same as they're now doing with Sony cloudy TV's, excellent set and picture, but dock 'em a star because of the ongoing cloudy problem. Their review carries a lot more weight than us rambling on, I'm sure things would move a bit faster at Arcam.

Even if a fix comes I have to say that I think I've lost all faith in the product, regarding is longevity and stability.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
Clare Newsome: Another reason to wait for an official release!

No problems for me with it so far, but it's on the beta firmware, which has been made official on 21/07/09 - NEW FIRMWARE. Unlike the UK release AVR600 which behaves like it's been in a Mummy movie and had a load of scarab beetles let loose in it!

AVR600 which behaves like it's been in a Mummy movie and had a load of scarab beetles let loose in it!

I hope my OPPO 83 works Ok If not ---I will use your Quote.--And shout for my Mummy.

All the best with your AVR600.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
The resume on bluray is not down to the player but how the JAVA menu has been written, this is different for each Disk some resume some don't its just pot luck or incompetence whatever you want to call it.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
cwalduck:The resume on bluray is not down to the player but how the JAVA menu has been written, this is different for each Disk some resume some don't its just pot luck or incompetence whatever you want to call it.I have read claims that the PS3 can resume mutliple disks. That is certainly a player specific feature ( and a very useful one) so I am curious how the Oppo behaves in this regard. I also do not believe it is impossible to resume a blu-ray however the Java element has been written. If it is possible to resume an entire PC which is running multiple concurrent programs then it should be possible to resume a blu-ray disc.

The thing that can be difficult to resume is communication to another computer as the context will no longer be valid. If the blu-ray in not networked, this is not an issue (and I have no interest in BD-live (or whatever it is called)).

PS I write Java programs for a living.

A

Anonymous

hammill:
Pete/Will

How is the oppo on remembering where it was? Will it restart blu-rays in the right place after power off?

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#does-the-player-resume-at-the-last-position-when-a-disc-is-reloaded

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
bennyben:hammill:

Pete/Will

How is the oppo on remembering where it was? Will it restart blu-rays in the right place after power off?

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html#does-the-player-resume-at-the-last-position-when-a-disc-is-reloaded

Thank you. Just what I wanted to know.

A

Anonymous

the Oppo does this, it'll remember your place even if you have watched another BD since

A

Anonymous

It remembers DVDs, SACDs and BRs if not blocked from doing so. There is talk of them upping the number of disks it remembers from 5 to 10. Let's see. I actually found it quite disconcerting how quickly it plays things, within about 6 seconds of closing the drawer on an SACD it's playing from where it left off! Unebelievable.

New firmware out today. This time an "experimental" version. So almost a Beta but not quite. Great thing about the Oppo is it's so incredibly easy to upgrade the firmware. And rolling back is just as easy. Download, unzip, stick on USB memory stick and plug it into player and click once on screen. That's it. How simple is that!!?!!

Can't recommend one more highly.

A group of us are going to do a blind testing day covering a whole range of BluRay players:

Denon DVD A1UD
Denon DVD 3800BD
Pioneer BDP-LX91
Oppo BDP-83
Sony BDP-S350
Sony PS3

I think that's the line up. It's be going into a Pioneer Susano amp, Pioneer KRP600A screen and PMC OB1i fronts and complimentary surrounds. So should be a fairly incredible testing day. We'll be checking calibration and levels are a match the night before and then running the testing blind, covering analogues and HDMI bitstreaming of DVD, BD, SACD and CD. Can't wait to bring you the results!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts