OPPO BDP-105D 7.1 analog out - the right AVR?

Hi,

I output stereo sources (cd, sacd, high-res bluray 2.1, 24bit digital music from nas) through my Oppo 105D's RCA out to a stereo amplifier (an old Sony) - allowing the player to handle all DAC duties. It sounds great.

I would like to make full use of the player's surround DAC in a simlar way. Can anyone recommend the best amplifier/receiver with analog 7.1 inputs to suit the analog outputs on the 105D. I can only find receivers with hdmi in. I want to avoid sending audio via hdmi as this will bypass the Oppo's DAC. Picture will be sent via HDMI to my display.

Am I naive in thinking there must be some amazing sounding analog 7.1 receiver out there, to be had at bargain prices because they date back to pre-HDMI era? Or should I be looking for a modern receiver with analog surround inuts in addition to current hdmi standard.

Any advice and guidance on getting the most out of my player would be great.

cheers,
Rafi

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you'll find most if not all the AVRs from a couple of years ago will have the Analogue inputs you want. They will be labled "Multi Channel In" It does look like most of the current AVRs have done away with multi channel in.

Look at 2012 modles. You should find plenty.

A word of warning if I may: Letting the player do the decoding can lead to decoding errors on some BDs. Day Breakers was faulty when I was using the analogue outs on my Pioneer LX71 into an old Pioneer VSX 909. When I upgraded my AVR and let the amp do the deoding the audio on Day Breakers is now fine.

Hopefully you'll be lucky and the Oppo won't have any such compatibiliy issues.

Hope that helps.

GP

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Rafi,

Save your money my friend. Buy a 5 or 7 channel power amp and let the oppo do the lot. I removed a tag av32r from my system and away I went. Brilliant. I have become an Oppo fanboy as a result.

The only disadvantages are the Oppo can't do sophisticated tonal correction, and limited inputs. It also plays and streams any disc or file format I've thrown at it. Excellent device.

By the way - the Oppo has two DACS. The Oppo recommendation to wire it up, is to use the stereo DAC for the front L/R channels and the surround DAC for the rest. It's in your manual.

Then add a 5 channel Linn power amp from eBay (£500) and speakers to taste. *yahoo*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts