Oppo and DSD download files - which?

On entering the brave new world of hires downloads I am a might confused.

My Oppo 105 will play DSD (DFF files) downloads from a memory stick however I note there are several types of DSD download files available, DSD64, DSD128, and DSD (5.6MHz).

Will the Oppo play all of these types? The only demo file I have is a DSD64 download (appears as a .dff file) and this sounds really good.

Anyone help?

Further investigation would show that I was indeed confused.

DSD128 would appear to be recorded at 5.6448 Mbit/sec and DSD64 at 2.8224 Mbit/sec giving 2 'quality levels' not three as I thought.

Still don't know if the Oppo will play both though. Will have to try and source a DSD128 file.

jackocleebrown

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello Alears,

You're right, DFF (also called DSDIFF) can hold either DSD64 (2822400 sample rate) or DSD128 (5644800 sample rate). The record label 2L provide some free track downloads here: http://www.2l.no/hires/ including DSD128 stereo. Most available DSD tracks are DSD64 (this is the standard rate for SACDs).

Just to warn you, there is also another format for storing DSD on the computer called DSF so you might want to double check if you do decide to buy any DSD music that you are definately getting DFF (or perhaps your Oppo will play DSF too??).

Kind regards, Jack.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts