What is DSD audio? How it works, where to download files, and more

Angelwars

Mar 23, 2020
Visit site
Good summary but DSD does not involve any samples as with PCM. The stream of 1' and 0's bits is created by the modulation of a bit clock carrier a process called Pulse Density Modulation of which DSD is specifically the 1 bit version. 1 bit PDM capture can be argued as not being digital - certainly not in the sense that PCM most definitely is.

ajm057

Nov 21, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for this BUT: there appear to be a number of DSD formats. Not all DACs are able to convert each of them.
DSD 64 = the basic rate - sample rate is 64 times that of a CD - this seems to be the most common DSD format available on HD TRACKS, and HighResAudio very few albums are distributed in this format.
DSD128 = Double Rate - sample rate is 128 times that of a CD - this seems to be the maximum "resolution" format generally available on HD TRACKS, and HighResAudio very few albums are distributed in this format.
DSD256 = Quad Rate = 256 times -- I found about 10 titles on HD Tracks - also see below
DSD 512 = Octa Rate = 512 times -- - also see below.
For those hunting downloadable DSD -- try NativeDSD (https://www.nativedsd.com/) - who had 289 titles in DSD512 and many more at lower resolution when I looked this morning.

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Roon will convert a PCM file to DSD, the difference is jaw dropping, especially on anything below 88/16 resolution. Sadly Roon now costs $700 for a lifetime membership, or $10 a month. I think it worth every cent, you need to provide your own music, via CD rips, Tidal, or Qobuz. My March DAC will decode up to DSD256, works well with my i7/Windows 10 NUC

Sergii T.

Mar 15, 2023
Visit site
Good summary but DSD does not involve any samples as with PCM. The stream of 1' and 0's bits is created by the modulation of a bit clock carrier a process called Pulse Density Modulation of which DSD is specifically the 1 bit version. 1 bit PDM capture can be argued as not being digital - certainly not in the sense that PCM most definitely is.
DSD performs simple sampling with comparing previous signal amplitude with current. It is like two inputs comparator, wich has first input directly to source signal, and second input - via signal delay circuit (and delay time is defined by DSD's sampling rate, like 1ms delay for 1MHz sampling). In many cases, when signal form is constant (horizontal line) - DSD contains 101010101010101 (1=go_up, 0=go_down). This causing "DSD noise" as some articles states. But with 1MHz sampling noise can be easily filtered out, as 1MHz is far-far away from 20kHz. Beside "noise" issue, DSD has very cool feature of "error protection" - if at any sample 1 will be replaced with 0 (or 0 replaced with 1) - this will not affect signal at all. Now if we talk about PCM and random data error - well... it will create huge defect in audio, as it will affect almost all frequencies.
And one more thing - DAC and Amplifiers - with DSD you can combine DAC with Amplifier - Class T amplifier will work as DAC for DSD stream. Back to PCM - you'd need demultiplexor + resistors matrix to get PCM converted into analog signal, and then you'd need amplifier for analog signal to make it loud.
So while DSD looks like strange format - it was a great "invention" that has a lot of great features.

PS: I probably should put this as separate comment, and not a reply, but your comment was about PCM and PDM (which is not DSD for sure).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts