Oppo 205 4k Blu ray player available to pre-order for $1300 dollars in the US

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
why do you want a 205 Gel?
Nah I don't. But say if I did I personally wouldn't pay £1400 for one. Image processing chip looks to be the same on the 203 and 205, so it must have some pretty impressive Dacs right?
Let's not forget that the 105 was no different to the 103 in terms of picture - the difference was in the audio - better DACs, dedicated two channel output (balanced and unbalanced) which could also be used independent to the 7.1 output on the back, having a headphone socket, and overall flexibility that the 103 didn't have. That was twice the price of the 103, just as the 205 is to the 203.
205 is twice the price of the 203 and £100 right?

D

Deleted member 2457

jjbomber said:
gel said:
No. Say if I did though what would that be called in the AV world? What term would that be?

Mad!!! *biggrin*
Thought it might be.
regular_smile.gif
So I guess it's not audiophrillia, that must have something to do with the sound of the components not the actual machine right?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
davidf said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
Nah I don't. But say if I did I personally wouldn't pay £1400 for one. Image processing chip looks to be the same on the 203 and 205, so it must have some pretty impressive Dacs right?
Let's not forget that the 105 was no different to the 103 in terms of picture - the difference was in the audio - better DACs, dedicated two channel output (balanced and unbalanced) which could also be used independent to the 7.1 output on the back, having a headphone socket, and overall flexibility that the 103 didn't have. That was twice the price of the 103, just as the 205 is to the 203.
Maybe, I don't know. There may be something else the new 205 has that justifies the £100, I don't know, as there's been no incentive for me to read up on it.

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
gel said:
davidf said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
Maybe, I don't know. There may be something else the new 205 has that justifies the £100, I don't know, as there's been no incentive for me to read up on it.
https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/blu-ray-udp-205-Features.aspx

Here you go David. Better build quality, better chassis no vibrations. Cooling passive system.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
If you're paying RRP, you need to find another dealer.
Where can you get a deal on the new Oppo's then? I got mine for £600 pre-ordered and didn't have to pay £650 but I struggled for finding a better deal. Never tried on the 205 though. Any tips? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
gel said:
davidf said:
gel said:
ellisdj said:
Its also saying something on HDMI audio connections the sound might be better right? You have to use the hdmi audio connection for bitstream as well right? I think it saying the sound might be better for bitstream to an amp?

D

Deleted member 2457

davidf said:
As I say, there's no real incentive for me to learn them inside out. If I was an Oppo dealer and/or looking at UHD, I'd be able to gather more enthusiasm :)
Ok, no probs. Perhaps one day then.
wink_smile.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

WHF has just covered this in the news section, and mentions Oppo promises improved video processors. Is that improved picture quality then? Cheers.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-udp-205-4k-blu-ray-player-aims-to-major-audio-performance

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I suppose if it could double up as a high end CDP it might be worth it.

If, however, you strangle the signal through even a mod to high end range AVR and modest speakers it won't be much of an improvement.

Likewise the TV picture won't improve. Feed colour TV signals at an old black and white TV you still get a black and white picture.

And I don't really buy in to the blacker blacks and whiter whites thing either. Reminds me of 70s soap powder commercials.

D

Deleted member 2457

Benedict_Arnold said:
I suppose if it could double up as a high end CDP it might be worth it.

If, however, you strangle the signal through even a mod to high end range AVR and modest speakers it won't be much of an improvement.

Likewise the TV picture won't improve. Feed colour TV signals at an old black and white TV you still get a black and white picture.

And I don't really buy in to the blacker blacks and whiter whites thing either. Reminds me of 70s soap powder commercials.
thumbs_up.gif
Cheers.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Wait and see traditions might be broken and the 205 be better for sound and picture over hdmi than the 203.

You can get your 203 upgraded if you want is about £500 for a Linear Power Supply and a seriously good clock upgrade

Does mean a bit of diy skills with it though ans obviously warranty goes pff.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Wait and see traditions might be broken and the 205 be better for sound and picture over hdmi than the 203.

You can get your 203 upgraded if you want is about £500 for a Linear Power Supply and a seriously good clock upgrade

Does mean a bit of diy skills with it though ans obviously warranty goes pff.
Yep, sounds a good idea. Cheers. You never know too we might be able to get a deal of Sevenoaks or Richer Sounds website too.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
205 not for me mate.

I will say yesterday I played some you tube music via my google chrome ultra into the oppo 203 via hdmi into my system.
No dirac but it does get the usual meridian goodness added.
I was listening in stereo and it did sound very good.
You can see why people use them as all in one sources.

If you want a predone bad boy version audiocom international are there for you

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
205 not for me mate.

I will say yesterday I played some you tube music via my google chrome ultra into the oppo 203 via hdmi into my system. No dirac but it does get the usual meridian goodness added. I was listening in stereo and it did sound very good. You can see why people use them as all in one sources.

If you want a predone bad boy version audiocom international are there for you
Ah nice one mate. Yep, I was just thinking might be able to pick up a return on Sevenoaks for around a £1000 possibly in the future sometime. Yep, I am fully satisfied with my 203 too.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I am not fully satisfied its still got bugs. Some quite annoying ones but hopefully they will get fixed.

I am reporting some to oppo uk atm.

Samd said:
ellisdj said:
You can see why people use them as all in one sources.

expand on that please?
From WHF report:

"The UDP-205 packs far more audio connections, meaning you can hook it up to your home stereo.

There's a stereo analogue audio output with a dedicated DAC - and the choice of XLR balanced and RCA single-ended connections - plus a set of 7.1-channel analogue outputs. There's also an asynchronous USB DAC input that supports PCM and DSD files.

Elsewhere, the HDMI output's clock precision has been improved, and the built-in headphone amplifier has been made more powerful.

The UDP-205 also features new DACs - two ES9038PROs, which is the flagship in the ESS Sabre Pro range."

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/news/oppo-udp-205-4k-blu-ray-player-aims-to-major-audio-performance#SLzVpCRwTJZct1wu.99

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Yea rite. Must take me for a mug...*lol* How much again...? Lets see how the reviews turn out. All they want is our money. We buy then convince ourselves we bought better. One thing I have leant through the years is to set up anything bought properly. Not keep buying with same old disappionting reasons.

I would not be buying one at £1400, not a penny over a grand. *bye*

buzz_lightclick

While I am interested in this player and may end up getting it some time in the future, I wouldn't dream of paying anything like the RRP.

I got my Oppo 105D for £450 a couple of years ago, mint condition the previous owner had barely used it. In terms of features this sounds very similar to the 105D, just basically a 4K version!

TRENDING THREADS