Opinions please - best old amp to go between TD160 and Mission 752

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
so something japanese and built like a tank would fit the bill. i am thinking smooth or neutral would suit the missions so a decent mid to high spec sony or marantz. i would not dismiss pioneer either but a good sony/marantz will be easier to find and cheaper.

if you have time to watch ebay for the right amp i would suggest bidding on amps from somebody within collection distance so you can check its working. plus you save it from the couriers drop box testing if you decide to buy.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Mission 752.....

Power, go for the most powerful (or quality amp) you can find.

The golden period of Mission speakers. Avoid low powered budget amps. If you're going used shoot for the stars.

Big fan of Mission from that period. Very underrated brand.

treesey

too much choice... so which out of

Audiolab 8000a - add some 8000p later?

Naim Nait 5

Arcam alpha 9

Arcam alpha 10

Pioneer A400 (x)

Nad C370

Sansui AU-717

Marantz PM6004

Cyrus????

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
It's an oldie, but if you can get a mint condition Arcam 10 for a good price......it's got everything you need..... *good*

The older Audiolabs are dodgy hit or miss affairs

Avoid the budget amps like marantz 6004.

Google your choices for user reviews and go from there.

Let us know how you get on.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
ive got some Mission 733i's from around the same period, i've ran a NAD amp and Arcam amp through them, both sounded great.....They were a very smooth sound and suited the missions. As for a new amp im personally considering a Rega Brio-r to match my missions, reckon that would do a bang up job for you, and has a phono stage.

treesey

I've just collected the 752s, and wired them to my Crimson Elektrik 510/520.

Listening to Kate Bush (TKI), I'm in heaven - her vocals are on another level over my Monitor Audio speakers.

The overall sound is too 'bright', but the e.g. violins and her voice..... wow (pun intended).

It's almost as if she's in front of me......

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi I gave my Mission752s to my son I used to run them bi amped with an Audiolab 8000A and an Audiolab 8000PX and I also ran them with my last amp a Musical Fidelity M6i which took the speakers to another level Awesome

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts