opinions on this set-up?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi,

so what about this combo for a set up?
[*]Rotel RCD-06 CD Player[*]Rotel RA-04 Amplifier [*]B&W DM 686 Speakers [/list]
is it worth forking out for , it is my first foray into separates...

opinions welcomed

T

the record spot

Just out of interest, did you do any background reading into the choice you made, other alternatives for your budget, other brands, etc? Rotel do make some very good gear and is a long established name - there recent series of amps and CDPs has typically been well received. I'd go along with the comments re: the speakers. I think you can probably look around a bit and see what other options there are, but it all depends on your budget, what music you like and how you like that music to sound when you're listening.

A

Anonymous

Go to some dealers and audition as much as you can before you make your mind up on what to buy.

Don't worry about what people recommend, it's your ears that count.

Hi Mitty,

It's no wonder these threads keep flying off at tangents isn't it?

I believe your questions were what did we think of your selection and did we think it was worth the money.

I don't see you asking for alternatives anywhere.

Anyway, yes I think your system is sound and it would appear you have done some research. If you have actually auditioned it to then great. It should make a fine combination - again what it actually sounds like in your particular room is what matters.

I would very much agree with Andrew regards the 685's though, they will make a large difference + the synergy bit!

A

Anonymous

A thread going off at a tangent? Hardly, just trying to help a newcomer. If the OP has auditioned and chosen the system he names, excellent. If he's just positing from reviews, not so great, as auditions, especially if you've not heard separates before, are a must.

Personally, I like and have used in the past Rotel products. However, I find the B&W 685s (not heard the 686s) a fatiguing listen, so the suggested system wouldn't work for me. That's why I suggested auditioning, and, if it is going off at a tangent, then hopefully it is so with good reason.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm personally not a fan of the Rotel CD player, either. Pop in a Marantz CD6003 instead and you'd have a better system (if not a matching pair of electronics looks-wise). Definitely worth auditioning along with the Rotel/B&W combo.

T

the record spot

Grottyash:A thread going off at a tangent? Hardly, just trying to help a newcomer.

Indeed, yet Alears' inconsistency is interesting given when the OP on another thread asked for alternative suggestions, he didn't seem to spot that they had! Heavy night out presumably...

mitty:

hi,

so what about this combo for a set up?

[*]Rotel RCD-06 CD Player
[*]Rotel RA-04 Amplifier
[*]B&W DM 686 Speakers [/list]

is it worth forking out for , it is my first foray into separates...

opinions welcomed

I agree with RS's earlier comment about the need to audition. I am a big fan of Rotel and they do produce excellent amps, but there are other really good makes out there - they all bring their own talents to the table. Also, if you go to a good dealer he can recommend alternative set-ups around your budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts