Oops ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Ajani said:
Vladimir said:
The fan noise is a deal breaker for any music listening bellow 80dB. If you replace the fans with quiet ones they wont cool it efficiently and then the cheap Chinese caps begin popping, so better stick to the 2x24V jet engine loud fans (44dbA+ each).

That's why I'd stick with the XLS line. There's virtually no chance of getting the fans to kick in, so no need to worry about replacing them.

On the XLS 802D they run constantly, just in 2 different speeds. The SMPS powered Class D and H amps are quieter but not as good at driving low impedance loads. On the Behringer amps the fans are deafening. This is why the cheap A500 is so popular. Convex cooling on external heatsinks and classical linear PSU with a chunky transformer, bipolar trannies in Class AB.

These beasts are not for you DM. Unless you need something that doubles down as a leaf blower and pipe welder.

If I was in the US I would snag a Crown K2 in a second. No fans or heatsinks. Broadcasting studio quiet amp with all the power that you will ever need in a home environment.

I was refering to the newer XLS Drivecore and Drivecore 2 lines (XLS 1000/1002 up to XLS 2500/2502). They can handle down to a 2 ohm load and by all accounts the fans just about never kick in. Plus they are dirt cheap by HiFi standards. So well worth trying out.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Ajani said:
Vladimir said:
Ajani said:
Vladimir said:
The fan noise is a deal breaker for any music listening bellow 80dB. If you replace the fans with quiet ones they wont cool it efficiently and then the cheap Chinese caps begin popping, so better stick to the 2x24V jet engine loud fans (44dbA+ each).

That's why I'd stick with the XLS line. There's virtually no chance of getting the fans to kick in, so no need to worry about replacing them.

On the XLS 802D they run constantly, just in 2 different speeds. The SMPS powered Class D and H amps are quieter but not as good at driving low impedance loads. On the Behringer amps the fans are deafening. This is why the cheap A500 is so popular. Convex cooling on external heatsinks and classical linear PSU with a chunky transformer, bipolar trannies in Class AB.

These beasts are not for you DM. Unless you need something that doubles down as a leaf blower and pipe welder.

If I was in the US I would snag a Crown K2 in a second. No fans or heatsinks. Broadcasting studio quiet amp with all the power that you will ever need in a home environment.

I was refering to the newer XLS Drivecore and Drivecore 2 lines (XLS 1000/1002 up to XLS 2500/2502). They can handle down to a 2 ohm load and by all accounts the fans just about never kick in. Plus they are dirt cheap by HiFi standards. So well worth trying out.

The new XLS do great for home use if you don't mind the looks. I was sharing my personal experience with the now discontinued old school 802. I like older pro amps in general for irrational reasons. Their time has passed but I like them.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The new XLS do great for home use if you don't mind the looks.

Strangely enough, I don't find either version of the newer XLS line ugly. Whereas most Pro stuff really looks like something to be hidden in a closet somewhere. The XLS Drivecore 1 series was a bit more stylish in silver, but the 2 series in all black is relatively subtle so it wouldn't really stick out for home use.

XLS_1500_front_no_top_shadow_lightbox.png

XLS_DriveCore_2_1502_Front_lightbox.png

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Aaahhw, the first two crown amplifiers have little faces. One even looks down to his right ... :)

Sweeeeeet.

However, if they were my illegitimate children I would have to give them up for adoption.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Not quite departed the bus station yet.

It takes an epiphany of some sorts to switch sides. I'm thinking his is yet to occur in the following weeks as the wire breaks in.

As I mentioned already, the C-Power lead was from their demo room and generously discounted.

So if I believed in cable 'burn-in' (I don't) then of course that would have already happened by now.

I don't need to believe in strange phenomena to appreciate a good plug. It's not one of those outlandishly thick leads that are so heavy they could pull the socket out of the amp! (And look like submarine communications cables.)

At full price I wouldn't have bought the C-Power, but held out for a Naim standard mains cable for a few quid less.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
About 2.5 to 3 meters.

I listen fairly quiet normally. If I want pressure waves I go to my local live haunts :)

How did you come to the estimate that you're only using 1/4 to 1/2 of a watt? You must have the most efficient speakers in the world.

While 1/2 a watt seems reasonable for the average power usage for very low level listening with reasonably efficient speakers but when the music has brief instantanious dynamic peaks you'll need much more than 1/2 a watt even at low levels.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
drummerman said:
About 2.5 to 3 meters.

I listen fairly quiet normally. If I want pressure waves I go to my local live haunts :)

How did you come to the estimate that you're only using 1/4 to 1/2 of a watt? You must have the most efficient speakers in the world.

While 1/2 a watt seems reasonable for the average power usage for very low level listening with reasonably efficient speakers but when the music has brief instantanious dynamic peaks you'll need much more than 1/2 a watt even at low levels.

No but I really don't use much volume. It is probably what many folks would describe background levels, perhaps a smidgen more. Just the way I listen. So 'dynamic peaks' may cause a few milliseconds of additional power, no issue.

Due to many night club nights in past years and quite a few live bands nowadays (tonight actually) my high frequency hearing is ebbing off around 14 khz. I now condition myself to listening quieter, trying to regain some upper frequencies, no kidding. - I find it works just as well to chill out and have pretty much adopted it for much (though not all) of my listening.

That is pretty much why hundreds of watts are pretty pointless for me. What matters is quality at low levels, not a given with all hifi. Cyrus's PSX-R's help in the matter too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
drummerman said:
... as do the AudioFriendly Silver shielded Power Leads.

Not sure if I have ever mentioned them ... ? :)

You have but i've still not seen any evidence of what standards they are compliant with.

No idea but they are certainly well made!

I have emailed AudioFriendly a few seconds ago with your question.

Lets see what they come up with.

TRENDING THREADS