ooh...

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd originally planned to pick up the Harbeth's once I'd moved but my trigger finger twitched last week and my Super HL5's arrived this morning. The Fact 8's were packed away and plonked the SHL5's down on a set of Something Solid Little Feet just to lift them slightly off the floor (the Something Solid XF stands won't be ready till the weekend).

Even in this compromised state they sound divine. Thanks for coming PMC but you've been shown a very clean pair of heels I'm afraid.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
That's odd, not sure why the last bit of my post got removed but anyway...

Next stop - SuperUniti and Clearaudio Concept TT

:cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
That's quite a scalp for the Harbeths, as the Fact 8s are a good, and very modern speaker.

Do you mind elaborating a little on the areas where the Super HLS excel, why they beat the PMCs and what range of music you listen to.

Cno

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
That's quite a scalp for the Harbeths, as the Fact 8s are a good, and very modern speaker.

Do you mind elaborating a little on the areas where the Super HLS excel, why they beat the PMCs and what range of music you listen to.

Cno

Not at all Cno.

Don't get me wrong, the Fact's are great speakers and they worked well with the Uniti...but in the long run I just didn't get on with them. There were just little things that started to niggle - a slight congestion in the mid-range and also the fact (sorry) that there was very little low bass output. For a large speaker that according to the spec sheet should go down to 28hz...lets just say I think that PMC have played a little fast and loose with that one - at 16db down perhaps.

The Harbeth's mid-range clarity is superb - this was something I'd discovered when I had the P3ESR - and they just seem to suffer no lag or overhang at all. And now I have actual bass too!

My music tastes are slightly eclectic; there's alot of female vocalists (like Cara Dillon, Stina Nordenstam, Phantom Limb) but then I go from Led Zep to Pink Floyd to Prince to Fun Lovin' Criminals to Massive Attack to Charlie Haden to William Orbit to Metallica :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bodfish said:
Not at all Cno.

Don't get me wrong, the Fact's are great speakers and they worked well with the Uniti...but in the long run I just didn't get on with them. There were just little things that started to niggle - a slight congestion in the mid-range and also the fact (sorry) that there was very little low bass output. For a large speaker that according to the spec sheet should go down to 28hz...lets just say I think that PMC have played a little fast and loose with that one - at 16db down perhaps.

The Harbeth's mid-range clarity is superb - this was something I'd discovered when I had the P3ESR - and they just seem to suffer no lag or overhang at all. And now I have actual bass too!

My music tastes are slightly eclectic; there's alot of female vocalists (like Cara Dillon, Stina Nordenstam, Phantom Limb) but then I go from Led Zep to Pink Floyd to Prince to Fun Lovin' Criminals to Massive Attack to Charlie Haden to William Orbit to Metallica :)

Thank you for taking the trouble....... it goes to show that a much more expensive speaker is not always the answer, and that understanding exactly what you like is key.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
batonwielder said:
Sweet. I would've waited for the new Monitor 30.1's due this month, but if you can afford it and accomodate the size, why not?

I nearly did just that. But yes, I can accommodate the size and value the additional extension the bigger box offers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts