Only one speaker working..

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

Got a bit stuck with a new problem I'm having. I usually watch movies and play audio off my iMac which is connected by a QED 3.5mm to Phono cable to the back of my reciever, then out of my three speakers (left, right and centre). However recently the audio only comes out of the left speaker, with a slight hiss coming out of the centre and right.

My speakers are connected fine because when I play from a different source, such as the DVD player or Xbox, all three speakers work fine. Also I doubt it's the iMac as when I plug the 3.5mm cable into an iPod the problem still persists. The cable I'm unsure about, but when I set the reciever's audio to 'Sport' mode all speakers work as usual (though obviously listening to music in a sound field intended for sports commentary isn't ideal.)

I can't see any settings on the reciever (Sony STR-DH800) that seem out of place or different from the norm.

Any suggestions? This has really stumped me.

A

Anonymous

I'll give it a shot once I find another cable to test with, but as I mentioned all speakers work fine with the cable when the receiver is set to Sport mode, surely meaning it couldn't be the cable.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sport mode may simply be taking whatever it finds and whacking it through all the speakers, so it may work with just one channel (that wouldn't be any different to getting a mono feed from a TV station). It's no proof the cable is ok at all.

It's the cable, be thankful for that, as that's the cheapest thing to replace.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Sport mode may simply be taking whatever it finds and whacking it through all the speakers, so it may work with just one channel (that wouldn't be any different to getting a mono feed from a TV station). It's no proof the cable is ok at all.

It's the cable, be thankful for that, as that's the cheapest thing to replace.

I'm not so sure, the source will be outputting stereo, so the receiver would only see one channel of the stereo output, if that were the case. There is a possibility that you may have somehow set the source to mono though and that would possibly cause the problem. Either way, it's far cheaper to get a cable for testing purposes.

In addition, a free check, would be to swap the cable to a different source on the receiver, you could have a bad connection on one of the receiver inputs in the current position. You say DVD is fine, so connect the cable to these inputs first. Also connect the DVD to the inputs that the Mac cable is currently in. In transposing the two sources, you can further pinpoint the fault.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts