Only kef r100

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
I am glad you replied David because you stock almost every speaker I am interested in buying but I am puzzled...

I have a Marantz SR7005 and I want to buy home cinema speakers. I want my system to have detail and a wide soundstage at low to medium listening levels because I don't want the police at my door.

I have thought about every speaker range from: Momitor Audio RX or Apex, B&W 600 series or CM, Tannoy Revolution, KEF q series or R series???

Even though my room is quite small am I better getting floor standers or better quality standmounts???

I am going to the Bristol show to try and see the speakers for myself. I am happy to spend upto £2.5k (lesser the better)

Any advice or what system would you put together?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As you're worried about neighbours, do you want a sub? It's not 100% essential, but you'll be missing some info if you don't. At normal volumes, it's not really sub bass that carries through to neighbours, it's more midrange frequencies.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Floorstanders that have a strong bass presence might be a little too much for a smaller room, especially if they're rear ported, and I wouldn't normally recommend using the supplied bungs to fully bung them up. I use KEF R300's all round, which aren't exactly bass light, although the Audyssey I use is more advanced than the one in your 7005. I use a partial bung.

For AV, you can use floorstanders or standmounts, but the main consideration will be for music. many people prefer foorstanders for music as they don't want to use their sub for music. Even though I know the R500's would've been better for music in my system, I just couldn't fit their height in.

If you wanted to go B&W, I'd say you'd have to look at the CM8's to work well in a small room rather than 600 series, although you might get away with the 684 if you used them carefully. I think the MA's will be too bassy for your room, so you'd have to look at the RX1's (RX2's might be a little much too). The tannoy Revolutions should be ok, as would the KEF Q500's. Again, I think the Q700 will be too much.

Obviously smaller sub/sat type system like Monitor Audio's Radius and Apex will be a safer bet, but they'll not quite match up to the musical quality of some of the speakers already mentioned.

Alternatively, you could make up a 'sub/sat style' hi-fi speaker package. You could try the KEF R100's all round, the Monitor Audio RX1's all round, or the B&W CM1's all round, so you'll have the convenience of a sub/sat package with the musical quality of a hi-fi speaker.

With careful use of the AV receiver's EQ, you can bring bring more presence into the room at lower volumes if you find things a little too smooth. personally, I like my system to have a bit of bite rather than sounding like each speaker has a blanket draped over them.

Only use the Bristol Show as a guide, not a decision maker or breaker. Those hotel rooms don't sound like your average living room...

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks again. My first thoughts were cm8 & cmc upfront because I was told cm8 was design for smaller british living rooms and the new M1's for rears because they will be small with slim stands. Would the new PV1 be too much?

But I was told by someone at Marantz the new KEFs go really well with Marantz. I was thinking about the q300's 5.1 system but the r100's have a promtion just now. They might be smaller but better quality. Decision decisions!

I am not a bass junky. I just want detail and soundstage.

A

Anonymous

If it helps I demoed the Q100, Q300 & R100 with my SR5006, my room is 3.6 m x 6.4 m and the R100 offered the best detail and most controlled bottom end in my room. I've just ordred 2 more for rear surrounds, swiftly to be joined by the R200c.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Bit of a bargain really. It means you can have three pairs and an R400b for the same price as an Apex package (even have 6.1 if you like), and have a package which is even more capable with music.

CraigDS

Sep 3, 2009
Visit site
Are you giving me an amazing deal David???

the Apex package is £2600

6 x r100 + r400b = £4k

4 x r100 + r200c + r400b = £3.6k

SOLD! LOL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts