ONKYO TX-SR806

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Have trawled through on or two different forums looking at the above model. Apparently there is some sort of problem with regards to blue spots when viewing dark images through 1080P HDMI? Anyone on this site had any experience of this??

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi again.......

I heard about this problem too...but I think it was a problem when they first came out, and that a solution has been implimented by Onkyo to rectify the problem.

I assume all the 806's leaving the factory now have that modification???? (Modification on a PCB, I think I read somewhere). A company called 'Genserve' was doing the modification, again I read somewhere. If you have the problem, you have to send it to them......

Please don't quote me on all this........it's just a few things I have read in the past week or so about the 806.....

A

Anonymous

Funny I should fall across this thread.

I have noticed the same thing. Mainly when playing my xbox. On areas of black there are blue pixels inside these areas.

At the moment I have a loaner silver 806 as I am waiting on a black one coming in.

Hoepfully it won't have this problem.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, apparently it's still happening on 'lots' of new models that are still being sold ( probably about 8-10 people on this particular forum who have noticed it). Just wondered how widespread it was.....I have no full HD source at present so can't comment on my own unit.

A

Anonymous

I take the problem has been identified by Onkyo and are repairing if faulty?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I think it's down to the owner to contact a company called genserve as Pete pointed out in his post. Takes about 2 weeks to change over the HDMI board or something similar. I was told by someone else that it only really affects the extreme left side of the picture and if I have 'overscan' turned on my Panny plasma won't show it any way although the previous poster here could probably dispute that!

A

Anonymous

I know I'm speaking before I get my actual amp.

But does anyone know are the repairs paid for?

A

Anonymous

grdunn123

On a slightly sepreate question on the amp.

I have a sony w4500 see you have a panny screen.

I notice on my sony when the Sky HD was plugged in to the TV the screen would auto change from wide to smart to keep the picture in ratio if the show was say in 4:3

now i have everything through the amp but it will onyl select wide format. so say watching Discovery science where most shows are not in widescreen, everything looks squashed and i have to manually change the format.

Do you get the same issue.

Its almost like the amp is disregarding the data passed fomr sky on the screen format.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
michael_walkden:

grdunn123

On a slightly sepreate question on the amp.

I have a sony w4500 see you have a panny screen.

I notice on my sony when the Sky HD was plugged in to the TV the screen would auto change from wide to smart to keep the picture in ratio if the show was say in 4:3

Do you get the same issue.

Its almost like the amp is disregarding the data passed fomr sky on the screen format.

now i have everything through the amp but it will onyl select wide
format. so say watching Discovery science where most shows are not in
widescreen, everything looks squashed and i have to manually change the
format.I don't have that issue. I have Sky HD through HDMI obviously
and have set the HDMI output to 1080P and the Zoom mode on the amp set
to Auto.Film Mode off.

My tv is set to auto format too

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
There a re a few who mention it but there seems to be no consistency as to what source or resolution is being used. One guy says that anything less than full 1080P results in blue pixelation whereas others say it only happens with PS3/XBOX. I use a Wii through a component input but the manual states clearly that if you use component inputs then you cannt pass this through the HDMI back to the TV, you must use component out. This works fine with the resolution upscaled to 1080P. I have had no issues with mine so far (other than the first unit going bang)!!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
So the 806 can not upconvert video? My 606 does.......I use component leads from my dvd recorder/freeview to theamp, and through the HDMI to the tv.

I have to admit (not trying to be rude about your amp, which you seem very happy with), but the more I read about this amp, the more I am wondering if it's 'more hassle/worry that it's worth'.

As per normal.......the more technology inside a machine...the more there is to go wrong!!

Looking at comments etc about the 876 now........if it's more stable, might save up for one....

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Yeah although i would say that you only really get those posting who aren't happy for one reason or another. For every 1 person who has a gripe there'll be a 1000 who don't. It will upconvert component to 1080P.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Probably very true.......but just been looking on another 'AV forum' site (spot the hint about which one!!) and there are pages and pages about blue dots!!! The amp has not been out that long, has it?

That is not upconverting, thats upscaling.

Upscaling is changing, for example, 576i to 1080p.

Upconverting is when you connect a component cable into amp and it outputs through to HDMI.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
sorry........wasn't sure!!!
emotion-6.gif

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Neither was I.......manual clearly states that you must use component out to TV but having tried it it does output through HDMI and shows 1080P on the screen as it appears.

If I have any probs with this amp in the next 7-10 days then it goes back and I'll be 876ing it too!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Probably a good move-if you get a problem!!

Although, if you do get the dots, and send back to GenServe, as least you know it's fixed and you have the modification to stop it in the future - it seems a solid amp apart from the blue dot issue.

Thinking about it, I wonder if they test the amp before fixing it at Genserve. If not, might as well send it straight away, get it modified and relax and enjoy it!!!

BTW, love your front speakers. I had a demo of them when they came out-thought they were brilliant!!!

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, I've been weighing up whether just to get the amp sent off and 'fixed' anyway.

The M33i's are just so much speaker for the money (£155).I've had Castle floorstanders costing over £1000 in the past but these are just such good valie for money, I can't see me changing them any time soon. Just after a new centre speaker now and a blu ray player........I should have my Tacima in a day or so too!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure how much your centre speaker was, but isn't this:

https://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2082

designed to work with your front speakers?

I was pleasantly surprised by the Q Acoustics 1030i I purchased a few weeks ago too. At only £169 delivered for a set of 90x20x30cm (HWD) floor standers, that are bi wirable/amp, come with their own small stands, and has a compartment for filling with sand (Interestingly, these speakers are roughly the same size as yours, with identical spec!! Supposedly there is a guy at Q Acoustics that used to design speakers for Mission!!!), I thought the value for money is outstanding!!

And they sound fantastic too, compared with the 1010i's they replaced.....

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, that's the one I'm after. I wouldn't be surprised about the Mission/ Q Acoustics link, they both seem to be about great value. I've never actually heard any of the Q Acoustics stuff but it always seems to get loads of praise no matter which website you look on.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I would imagine that centre speaker will blend in much better with your fronts.....

They do say that to get the best integration between your speakers, you should use speakers from the same company/range, or ideally with the same tweeter design/spec.

I think i am correct in saying the M series of speakers from Mission have the same tweeter.

Thats why you can't go too wrong with Q Acoustics speakers - unless you buy a non 'i' version with the 'i' versions (look the same but the 'i' version is the more up to date improved version - didn't Mission use the same terminology?? M33, then M33i's???)

Go for it.......

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, Mission do have the 'i' for their updated models......will get the centre next week (payday Friday!) Think I'm gonna buy a blu ray too from Richer sounds and if I get any blue spots then they can both get returned at the same time!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Which blu ray player?

I have the Sony BDP S350........and LOVE IT!!!

Got it for £208 when it came out, but I've seen it for £160 now....Bargain......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts