Onkyo TX-SR606 and Kef iQ5

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new at the homecinema world. I've been reading this forum and i think i found a solution for my homecinema setup. My living room is about 55 square meters (around 600 square feet). I like to ear music (cd's and mp3's), music dvd's and also some movies. My budget right now is about 1200 €. I will have a bit more to spend in about a year.

My idea now is to buy front speakers and an AV Receiver. After what i've read, im inclined to:

- Onkyo Tx-SR-606

- 2 x Kef iQ5 as front speakers

- Central speaker from the same iQ range

Do you think this a good setup? Is is a good option for music and casual movie? Will it be easy to transform in a year time in a 5.1 setup? I don't want to upgrade in the near future, will i have a system capable for 10 years? I've also have read about bi-amping, should i do it? And what kind of cables should i use to connect the AV Receiver to the speakers?

Best Regards,

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're mainly looking at music, I'd go for a stereo amp rather than the AV amp (plenty of choice for the £400 mark). This will give you much better sound for your music and will handle your casual movie watching as well.

If you ever feel like you want to upgrade to 5.1 in future, you can then get an AV amp with pre-outs to allow you to continue running your stereo amp for the front speakers so you won't compromise your hi-fi setup.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Agree with prof. Although another option is to get a different AV receiver, one with preouts, giving you the option of stereo amp addition.
Or maybe go with the Cambridge Audio 640R at the same price to give you better audio from the outset?

A

Anonymous

Hi get the point. So the Onkyo is not a good "music receiver". But from what i saw, the Cambridge is above my budget :-(

Any other suggestions?

Do you agree with my choice of speakers?

Thank You!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Looks spot on budget to me - Cambridge Audio 640R. If you're set on an AV amp, there are others from the likes of Marantz, Arcam and Yamaha which are generally condidered more "musical" brands - I haven't heard any of them though so you'd want to audition them. I still think you're better off going for a stereo amp first given you're only going to have stereo speakers and you're looking mostly at playing music. You can then add to the home cinema side as and when (or indeed if) you decide you want to.
No idea on your KEF's, never heard them.

A

Anonymous

Thank's for the link. It looks a nice option, and cal also be used for a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. It seems a better option for my music side.

A

Anonymous

I was looking at Cambridge Audio website, and a saw the 540R (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=282&Title=Specifications), it's cheaper than the 640R. But could also in the future power a 5.1/6.1 setup. Is it also a good option? It's cheaper than the 640R, and i could use the budget for a better speakers.

Any toughts?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="nmsfernandes"]
I was looking at Cambridge Audio website, and a saw the 540R (http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/specifications.php?PID=282&Title=Specifications), it's cheaper than the 640R. But could also in the future power a 5.1/6.1 setup. Is it also a good option? It's cheaper than the 640R, and i could use the budget for a better speakers.

Any toughts?

[/quote]Very good receiver in my opinion, I know someone thats got one and i have listened to it extensively and am very impressed, on the scale of stereo performance with av amps its one of the better ones. It is very well built and looks a lot nicer than the onkyos IMO. Its also one of the cheapest receivers with preouts so you can upgrade it by adding a decent stereo amp at some stage

A

Anonymous

I was browsing What Hi-Fi, and found this review: http://whathifi.com/Review/KEF-KHT3005SE/ of the Kef-KHT3005SE 5.1 speakers, and quoting:

"Action movies gain an adrenaline-charged, nitrous-fuelled edge: gunfire
sounds more real, explosions more visceral, and the pulsing rock
soundtracks so beloved of most Hollywood directors gain just the right
amount of in-yer-face excitement. The same goes for music listening:
for a system of its type, the KEF package is impressively agile and
articulate, with notably improved timing and rhythmic ability."

Do you think they are a good choice with the Cambridge Audio 640R?

The KHT3005SE have a huge plus, the "wife acceptance factor". Should i go for it?

Thank you very much for your help!

A

Anonymous

i would stick with your original plan of building system around the kef iq5. The full size kef system will be far superior to the kef 3005 especially in a room of your size and will be much better with stereo use for music. Style speakers such as the 3005 are not great for music listening.

stuff the wife

A

Anonymous

hi

I find ONKYO better suited for movies than a music. If you are more into music especially jazz etc, I recommend YAMAHA AV receiver with HDMI & Dolby TrueHD.It may not be future-proof but you won't need any upgrade for atleast 5 years!

Regarding cables, don't spend too much!

Regarding 2-front speakers, Kef is a great choice. However also audition JBL Northridge E-80.

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts