Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver

chrisku

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Can any owners of this receiver tell me just how good it actually is ?

I think I have finally decided to buy the Onkyo TX SR605 and the Kef 2005.2 from creative audio in shrewsbury for £898 which I think is an absolute bargain (rather than a home cinema in a box system).

Can anyone tell me how good this system will sound for the money ?

A

Anonymous

The receiver is Superb i have it hooked up to the kef k3005se and its worth every penny. Music is also fantastic through the receiver.

The k2205.2 speakers are very good if you can go for the k3005se then go for it as its worth the extra as it will be a fine investment. ( remember its a investment and your not going to change the speakers soon so you may want to push the boat a bit and go for the k3005se if you can afford them.)

The only issue i had with the receiver is that im unable to get it to decode DTS HD Master Audio using fantastic 4 rise of the silver surfer which accepts DTS HD Master Audio but im sure thats a setting issue which i cant figure out how to do. I have posted a question on this forum but not had any replies yet.

Just remember to get good speaker cables would recommend the QED Anniversary again you only buy them once so go for the best.

Most popular color for the receiver is Black ..Much better than the silver in my opinion
All the Best with your set up and hope it all goes well which ever speaker package you go for.

A

Anonymous

Mate it really is that good im running sky hd x box elite sony blu ray throught it all in to B&w speakers and it handles all really well very impressed

A

Anonymous

[quote user="chrisku"] I think I have finally decided to buy the Onkyo TX SR605 and the Kef 2005.2 from creative audio in shrewsbury for £898 which I think is an absolute bargain[/quote]

Doesn't the 605 retail for £399 and the Kefs now at £399? That works out at 800 squid so you're paying over the odds!!

Juzzie Wuzzie

Nokz - what setting to you have for sound from the Sky HD box? I'm running Sky HD into the 605 via HDMI and still don't think I've found the right sound setting. 605 is paired with Jamo HCS5 sat speaker system which I'm loving, DVD being the Tosh 1930 - another excellent purchase. Zone 2 feeds the outdoor speakers on the deck - for summer BBQs. Next is Blue Ray (toying with the PS3 idea, although prefer a dedicated player) and then a bigger tv (love the Toshiba small bezel versions).

A

Anonymous

Sky HD boxes do not run sound via HDMI. You'll need to use optical.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="simonkee"]Doesn't the 605 retail for £399 and the Kefs now at £399? That works out at 800 squid so you're paying over the odds!![/quote]

No the KEFs are usually £600 but can be found for £500, AFAIK.

Juzzie Wuzzie

[quote user="simonkee"]Sky HD boxes do not run sound via HDMI. You'll need to use optical.[/quote]

No, they must, as I AM getting sound from the Sky HD box and the only thing connecting it to my 605 is the HDMI cable.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It does give standard sound, but you can't get 5.1 sound (from certain movies and sports events etc) through the HDMI connection. You have to use the optical out for that. Presumably, Sky will update this at some point?

A

Anonymous

PN [quote user="Andrew Everard"]
[quote user="simonkee"]Doesn't the 605 retail for £399 and the Kefs now at £399? That works out at 800 squid so you're paying over the odds!![/quote]

[/quote]

I was about to say that that's not true as Play were doing some for £399.99 and my brother bought some. But just checked today and they're no longer...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]PN [quote user="Andrew Everard"]

[/quote]

I was about to say that that's not true as Play were doing some for £399.99 and my brother bought some. But just checked today and they're no longer...[/quote]

Quoting myself now, oh dear...A1 Sound and doing the Kefs for £399.99. Knew there was somebody else... Anybody else want to find a bargain? I charge tuppence per hour...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts